Looking for good cheap 3s 800mah-1000mah batteries and is JST or XT-30 better?

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Oh, and btw, HobbyKing NanoTech 850mAh 3S packs are superb. I've been flying them on helis, quads and planes for years. Hundreds and hundreds of flights and they've lasted great. I've tried some of their Zippy compact packs but didn't like them (although much of my flying is helis, so a lot more demanding than a plane).

I've switched to the higher rated NanoTech packs now as my Oxy2 will really push a battery (will comfortably pull 25A), and even though they're cheap I can really feel the difference.

Is this what you're talking about?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy..._en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_2_group_0_asc

myxiplx

Yeah, those are the ones I flew with my Trex 250 and which I have for my FT Mini Mustang now. The higher rated 45-90C ones are the new packs I have in my Oxy2, they're a little heavier but really work well for high power applications.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
BTW I use xt-60 on all my packs. That makes swapping esc's, batteries, and motors so much easier. (I use 3.5mm bullet connectors on all my motors.) My smallest battery (other than 1s packs for umx planes) is a 1000 mah 3s and that I can use in minis or standard planes, and since all my esc's have the same connector, it's easy to do. Also, my smallest esc's are 20 amps so I can use them in my minis, or if I need an extra esc for a b pack in one of my standard planes, I can just move it over without worrying at all about bullet connectors and battery connectors! Zippy batteries are the only hobbyking batteries I've owned so far, but it seems like the nano-tech are great batteries as well.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
BTW I use xt-60 on all my packs. That makes swapping esc's, batteries, and motors so much easier. (I use 3.5mm bullet connectors on all my motors.) My smallest battery (other than 1s packs for umx planes) is a 1000 mah 3s and that I can use in minis or standard planes, and since all my esc's have the same connector, it's easy to do. Also, my smallest esc's are 20 amps so I can use them in my minis, or if I need an extra esc for a b pack in one of my standard planes, I can just move it over without worrying at all about bullet connectors and battery connectors! Zippy batteries are the only hobbyking batteries I've owned so far, but it seems like the nano-tech are great batteries as well.

Thanks for the info!

I get what you're saying, but how to you fit a 1000mah 3s battery with a huge xt-60 connector(plus 9g servos) into something like the mini scout or the mini mustang? I can barely fit a 850mah 3s with a JST connector into the mini scout.

FDS

Elite member
You need to pick the right warehouse with Hobbyking, never buy anything that’s not in stock in your warehouse of choice. All lipo suppliers who ship legally charge more than China who never tell the truth on the customs forms.
I have over a dozen Hobbyking lipos, they are great for planes and cars. Less good for quads but never had a bad pack from them. Be aware it’s almost impossible to return lipos due to postal restrictions so make sure you order the right ones.
Never buy less than XT30 connectors for flight packs, JST is receiver or TX use only. I standardised on XT60 for all my large planes, I use XT30 on micro quad.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
You need to pick the right warehouse with Hobbyking, never buy anything that’s not in stock in your warehouse of choice. All lipo suppliers who ship legally charge more than China who never tell the truth on the customs forms.
I have over a dozen Hobbyking lipos, they are great for planes and cars. Less good for quads but never had a bad pack from them. Be aware it’s almost impossible to return lipos due to postal restrictions so make sure you order the right ones.
Never buy less than XT30 connectors for flight packs, JST is receiver or TX use only. I standardised on XT60 for all my large planes, I use XT30 on micro quad.

Thanks for the info!

I just got a whole bunch of Xt-30 connectors, switching all my JST over to xt-30.

whackflyer

Master member
However pretty or clean it may be, you'll lose weight by using bullet connectors.
The downside is that if you get careless with your batteries, you can touch the brass of the 2mm connectors together and short the battery. This can still happen even if they have heat shrink on them.

CustomRCMods

Elite member
honestly I’d just go find some cheap rhino or turnigy pack off hobbyking. they can be had for less than 10 bucks all day

Turnigy 700mah 60c - 6$
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy..._en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_2_group_0_asc

Zippy 1000mah 35c - 7$
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-c..._en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_2_group_0_asc

Zippy 800mah 25-50c - $7.30
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-c..._en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_2_group_0_asc

I have also owned lots of Tattu packs and sworn by them, they have been darn tough and 100 percent reliable for almost 2 years! However it seems like the importance of price is great for you, which is understandable, so these options might be a bit better for you and likely just as reliable if treated properly. Happy flying!