Looking for good flight controller

I've been flying a SR120 around the house for a while (getting quite good), and have several hex/quad copters laying around.

I was thinking about picking up a larger/outdoor/scale helicopter but I wanted to add a flight controller/auto pilot to it.

I've got the DJI quad copter that has the Naza controller. I know they make a helicopter version but I think I heard it's quite expensive. I'm curious what other options I have out there for similar capabilities. I know there's a ton of multi-rotor options out there but I'm looking for a straight helicopter solution.

Any suggestions?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
ArduPilotMega 2 (APM2) is a $200 dollar solution. It can be flashed for helicopter through the mission planner software.

Thurmond

ArduPilotMega 2 (APM2) is a $200 dollar solution. It can be flashed for helicopter through the mission planner software.

Thurmond

I was wondering about that unit. Have you got one on a helicopter? I saw it worked with planes and hex, but in my cursory look I didn't see it working with helicopters (I've found a reference to helicopter now - but they are pretty heavy on the multi-rotor references) so I passed over it.

In fact - I actually ordered one several weeks ago - but for the intention of doing a drone plane project - perhaps I'll have to evaluate it on a helicopter.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I was wondering about that unit. Have you got one on a helicopter? I saw it worked with planes and hex, but in my cursory look I didn't see it working with helicopters (I've found a reference to helicopter now - but they are pretty heavy on the multi-rotor references) so I passed over it.

In fact - I actually ordered one several weeks ago - but for the intention of doing a drone plane project - perhaps I'll have to evaluate it on a helicopter.

No I don't have a heli capable of using the APM. I also purchased mine for fixed wing use but so far have only used it for multi-copters.

Thurmond

UndCon

UndCon
I got mine from a friend and I intend to use it on my Bixler or Skywalker for UAV purposes.
Waypoint navigation and RTH is useful when flying FPV.

To bad it seems the output chip is damaged so I had to order a new one :D