Looking for next step 3D printer

jpot1

Elite member
Currently I’ve been using and ender3 pro, pretty much stock for the last few years, I’m getting good prints but am looking for a second printer. I print mostly PLA, LW-PLA, and a little TPU all centered around rc plane parts plus stuff for around the house.

I’d like a little more height, want to try direct drive, auto bed leveling and under $500. Right now I’m looking at the Anycubic Kobra Plus, Artillery Sidewinder X2, and Ender3 S1 Pro. Each seem to have there good and bad. From my research:

Ender3 S1 Pro: mostly good just most expensive
Kobra Plus: seems odd to not have bed leveling knobs, bed surface supposed to not be great, proprietary bed leveling
Artillery: while the tallest, also prone to z wobble higher up, some dings on the bed leveling probe accuracy.

Looking for feedback on what people are using please and other suggestions? Thx!

ColoFlyer

I have the the original Sovol SV01 Direct Drive Printer, and have made all the upgrades that now come stock on the Newer SV01Pro, and it is an excellent printer, and one for your consideration.
I also have the Ender 3V2, that is great for smaller prints. But when I need a larger build plate, or Direct Drive for things like TPU, or Fliament that require the All Metal Extruder for hotter temps, the Sovol is the machine for the job.

Features.
Sovol SV01 Pro 3D Printer - currently on Amazon for $329.00
All Metal Direct Drive Extruder
CR-Touch - Auto bed leveling
Silent Board
Dual Z-axis
4.3 inch Handheld Color Touch Screen
Flexible Magnetic Plate,
Larger Build Volume 11x9.5x11.8 inch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08346QY9K/?tag=lstir-20

Their Website:
https://sovol3d.com/#

Inq

Elite member
I keep thinking I want a larger printer. Early-on I was all about the printing of something big/complex all in one print. A working worm-gear, scissor-jack was the coolest. Now, I don't mind making multiple prints and assembling them. I do not have one, so can't respond to your query with actual first-hand knowledge, but the last time I went through a search/review... I settled on a TRONXY X5SA PRO.

330x330x400 $429.

It had mixed reviews, but reading through the comments, they tend to be people expecting a inkjet printer mentality. I think someone who is mechanically inclined can easily tune it properly and eliminate 90% of the negative comments. It looked to have some very nice features that printers twice their price didn't have. It just needs a few custom bracket enhancements.

dutchmonkey

Just mod your Ender, amazon has extended z extrusions, do the dual z belt mod and slap a DD on it should come in under $200

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have the the original Sovol SV01 Direct Drive Printer, and have made all the upgrades that now come stock on the Newer SV01Pro, and it is an excellent printer, and one for your consideration.
I also have the Ender 3V2, that is great for smaller prints. But when I need a larger build plate, or Direct Drive for things like TPU, or Fliament that require the All Metal Extruder for hotter temps, the Sovol is the machine for the job.

Features.
Sovol SV01 Pro 3D Printer - currently on Amazon for $329.00
All Metal Direct Drive Extruder
CR-Touch - Auto bed leveling
Silent Board
Dual Z-axis
4.3 inch Handheld Color Touch Screen
Flexible Magnetic Plate,
Larger Build Volume 11x9.5x11.8 inch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08346QY9K/?tag=lstir-20

Their Website:
https://sovol3d.com/#

Ok, odd question, but why would you want a handheld color touch screen? Wouldn't it be easier if the screen was attached to the printer and you just clicked on the options you want? I'm not knocking it; I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the benefit of handheld.

Jade_Monkey07

I'm going to throw a smaller name I to the mix. Earlier this summer I won a fokoos odin 5 f3 and it has been a great printer for me. The facebook community is great and the fokoos team is very active on there. They just released the odin smart. Basically the same printer but with all the modern features like auto bed leveling and spaghetti sensors. Not sure if the build volume is what you're looking for but give it a peek. The price should be what you're looking for

ColoFlyer

Ok, odd question, but why would you want a handheld color touch screen? Wouldn't it be easier if the screen was attached to the printer and you just clicked on the options you want? I'm not knocking it; I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the benefit of handheld.
Not really sure, as mentioned, I have the SV01 and it has the older Creality type screen. The new version is an SV01Pro that has all the bells and whistles.
More info here: https://sovol3d.com/products/sv01-pro-direct-drive-3d-printer

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks to all who commented. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the ender 3 s1 pro on Crealitys Black Friday sale. I have an ender 3 pro soba, comfortable with the Creality style machines.

Robert S

If your printer is in an enclosure, its nice to be able to see and manipulate the controls without opening up the enclosure door. Also, the long exposure of (sort of) high temps in an enclosure are not good for the LCD over the long term. It might not ever be an issue depending on how the maker took thermal load into account for the little board in there, but when I finally get around to building an enclosure, remoting my controls off the printer and outside the enclosure somehow will be part of that effort.