Looking for some advice on a first scratchbuild

Mike oxbig

15% nitro is my cologne
I've been thinking about building something simple I can throw in the back of my truck and have fun with at the park after work when the weather cooperates. I have never built anything from scratch and don't know exactly where to start.

I have an eflite park 370 out runner with 10 amp speed control that is sitting around that I'd like to build the plane around. I'd be using 800mah 2s lipos for power.

I'm planning to build a profile with similar shape and styling to a su 31. I want to learn 3d so I want this bird to be capable. I have found a cheap source for foamboard so that what I will be using. I was going to expand a three view drawing I have of a full scale su 31 to get the wing shape and fuse length.

How do I go about figuring out the wingspan I need? Is there a formula to determine wing area to AUW to motor thrust? I want a really light wing loading on this so I can throw it around.

How about the airfoil? Can I get away with a flat airfoil or should I build up a symmetrical airfoil? Is there anything else I should consider when designing the wing?

Im expecting this to be a bit of trial and error and that's part of the fun of designing and building. I'm just kind of hoping for a nudge in the right direction.