Looking for some advice

HaZarDouS PsYcO

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a radio soon to upgrade from the 5 or so RTF ones i have lying around. I'm looking for a decently priced radio (try to keep it under $250 if possible), that is 6 channels or more, and has a decent memory. I will be using it to fly helis, quads, and soon planes so I would like it to be compatible with as many things as possible. My current little buddy that I have is a Heli-Max 1SQ so I would love if it would bind to it. I will try to hold them before I buy them to see how they "fit me". Thanks in advance.

eagle4

I'd suggest looking for something that can take modules. You could go with something like the Turnigy 9XR, I've heard great reviews on that, and everyone seems to have one.
Or if you can get a hold of one, the Taranis is aparently pretty awesome straight out of the box. but that one is much closer to the $250 mark you're after, where as the 9XR is like $50 without a module.

epic.engineering

i currently own a spektrum dx6i.. the reason i bought it is because it binds to all my blade helicopter, once I started to fly planes, my local hobby shop sells a ton of parkzone bind and fly which also use spektrum. I also have a 1sqv cam .. for it I can buy the ready link for $19 and bind to it or any other place that uses the slt receivers.. price is around $179 with a receiver, which is in my bat bone..

With that said I like it a lot, but knowing what i know now, I'd consider the 9xr, I could by the radio, battery, a few modules to cover spetrum, slt, and long range, and some receivers for what I bought my dx6i for.. my only worry would have been quality and signal, but with so many positive reviews.. I'd trust it.. I think I'm going to order one as a second radio, and it can buddy box with my dx6i

Last edited:

HaZarDouS PsYcO

Ok thanks for the advice so far. I have started looking at the Hitec line as i just found $50 in a coat pocket (SCORE!) I was wondering is the Eclipse 7 worth looking into?

RoyBro

Mentor
The Turnigy 9xr with FrSky DJT module and a receiver will run you about $100. It has 9 channels, is firmware upgradeable, and accepts transmitter modules so you can use it with other radio systems. There are even modules for open LRS.

The Eclipse 7 Pro will run $240 and receivers will run between $40 and $80. It has 7 channels and works with Hitec receivers. Of course you can get a used Eclipse 7 (not Pro) without a receiver for around $100.

RoyBro

Mentor
Ok Quick one here if both the Turnigy 9xr and Taranis are available local which would be the better investment?

While the Taranis is being sold in the United States, it is like hunting a white buffalo. They exist, somewhere, maybe. The 9xr on the other hand, is only available at Hobby King's Hong Kong warehouse. So add about $20 shipping to my previous estimate.
The 9x is available at the US warehouse, but requires several modifications to bring it up to par with the 9xr. Although, I think it is a better looking radio than the 9xr (less cheap looking). And if you like tinkering, the mods are kind of fun to do.

So adding the "local" requirement fairly complicates matters.

But to answer your question directly, the Taranis IS the better value.

RoyBro

Mentor
Yes. Definitely. If your local store has them in stock. Don't wait. Get it.
What is the name of the store, and what town is it in?

RoyBro

Mentor
Actually I was more interested in where such an enlightened "Local Hobby Shop" might actually exist. I'll bet they also carry XT60 connectors and don't don't complain about cheap Chinese parts.

lonewolf7717

Actually I was more interested in where such an enlightened "Local Hobby Shop" might actually exist. I'll bet they also carry XT60 connectors and don't don't complain about cheap Chinese parts.
Pie in the sky!
I bought 4 9x radios back when they were the "thing". Glad I did because after giving the newer 9xr a try i was left very disappointed in the "feel". Hard to explain but what ever you end up going with make sure its comfortable to hold, 9xr for me was all wrong. Taranis will be my next....same "feel" as the old 9x with the added benefit of all those built in features that would have to be added to a 9x