looking for some suggestions for a 7 year old.

Marzipan

there are a bazillion cheap quadcopters out there...and getting one has very little risk if it suffers damage, but COVID and money is tight, so I'd rather avoid buying a Eachine or JJRC and spend a wee bit more for something that is robust, has replaceable parts and would allow us to flip a switch on the transmitter and add a channel for more advanced flying as he levels up his skillset.

I recently ordered an elcheapo Eachine E009 for myself...see how he reacts. I suspect there will be much excitement as he's obsessed with paper airplanes (I bought him one of these: http://www.pathfindersdesignandtechnology.com/portfolio-item/sky-surfer/) and constantly watching YouTube videos on how to build them and attempts to build his own rubberband launchers out of straws and cardboard.

I have plans to buy the EZ3 First Flight Pack...but FT is out of stock on the 3 channel power pack needed for it, so there's a delay on that right now. I won't go into it more since this is not the appropriate forum. ;)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
The EZ3 First Fliers uses the 2 channel EZ power pack, not the 3 channel one.

Are you looking to fly that quad LOS or FPV?

For starting out, I would actually recommend a whoop sized quad with prop guards, as they can be flown inside, crashes are almost always non-events. The worst that has happened with mine is that my youngest started chasing it and got it stuck in her hair.

Marzipan

The EZ3 First Fliers uses the 2 channel EZ power pack, not the 3 channel one.

Are you looking to fly that quad LOS or FPV?

For starting out, I would actually recommend a whoop sized quad with prop guards, as they can be flown inside, crashes are almost always non-events. The worst that has happened with mine is that my youngest started chasing it and got it stuck in her hair.

funny...I just read this thread about multirotor top tips and it has the recommendation to buy cheap to start out, LoL! I'm not sure I fully understand 'whoop' as from what I've read, that is FPV?

I think I want to start with quad LOS. all the quad's with decent video are more than I want to spend right now.

question about the transmitter in the 2 channel transmitter. what else can that be used for, other than the EZ3 packs?

JasonK

whoop is a size, typically 25-40g all up weight with a battery and use a 1s lipo around 200-450mAhs

For example, this is what I started with: https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...opter-race-or-standard?variant=31429739020401
I used the "standard" motors, I could probably race just fine on those with my current experience, I don't think the race motors would help me at all racing.

there are kits like this that have everything (FPV goggles, controller, whoop), however if your very sure you want to get into FPV quads, you are likely to end up replacing the controller and googles with something more expensive.
https://www.racedayquads.com/collections/tiny-whoop-products/products/betafpv-rtf-cetus-pro-fpv-kit

If your in the US, you need a HAM (amature radio) license to run almost all FPV transmitters (so... everything I linked above), unless they have a FCC registration (which to my knowledge DJI stuff is the only thing with that that is currently in use with multi-rotor stuff. Some off the shelf stuff that you would get in a 'big box store' that has video, likely has the registration stuff, but that isn't the type of stuff people normally use). If your not in the US, you should check your local laws to see if there is something you need similar.

Last edited:

Phin G

Elite member
definitely go with a whoop depending on your budget i think the beta fpv rtf kits are the way to go, it also depends on what you aspire to go for, tiny whoops ticks most of the checklist, fpv, los, beginner modes, acro mode, freestyle and racing capability etc. I would say work your way up from los to fpv, i have found with all of my quads on acro, flying is easier in fpv then los. The tiny whoops i found you can never break props, if you can, you are insanely talented, you can smash them into almost anything and they will bounce of and continue flyingGood luck flying and have fun.

Edit: @JasonK has allready suggested the tiny whoop i was talking about. you could then use the beta lite controller with other quads which has a d8 receiver in which is good, the fpv goggles will do however if you want to become better then i would suggest investing in better goggles. Hope this helps
Phin G

Last edited:

Marzipan

definitely go with a whoop depending on your budget i think the beta fpv rtf kits are the way to go, it also depends on what you aspire to go for, tiny whoops ticks most of the checklist, fpv, los, beginner modes, acro mode, freestyle and racing capability etc. I would say work your way up from los to fpv, i have found with all of my quads on acro, flying is easier in fpv then los. The tiny whoops i found you can never break props, if you can, you are insanely talented, you can smash them into almost anything and they will bounce of and continue flyingGood luck flying and have fun.

Edit: @JasonK has allready suggested the tiny whoop i was talking about. you could then use the beta lite controller with other quads which has a d8 receiver in which is good, the fpv goggles will do however if you want to become better then i would suggest investing in better goggles. Hope this helps
Phin G
a couple more questions...

there are two HappyModel BNF Modula 6 in stock on their website with about a $30 difference between them. are the differences just the camera resolution (VGA vs FHD) and the fact the lower priced VGA one comes with 4 batteries and the higher priced FHD one does not?

also, I am very intrigued by the Jumper RC T-Lite transmitter. it's got a lot of functions / features (lots of models, 16 channels, can be used with sim software) for the price and with 16 channels, looks to be a good one to work with airplanes, helicopters and multirotors. or am I misreading / misunderstanding what I've absorbed the last little while about transmitters?

Phin G

Elite member
The VGA and FHD are referring to the quality of the camera, i would go with the cheaper one if you are not recording dvr to show to people (you still can use VGA for showing people your flights) however if you want to film yourself flying around wherever and if you want good video quality the go with the FHD option. It all depends on what you want to do, the VGA comes with 4 batteries which would amount to x amount of money saved however if you want hd then you would have to spend the $24 it is for 4 1s tiny whoop batteries.

The jumper series of controllers are very good, as stated by the name they can jump to many different models and types of UVA’s. The jumper T-lite is a good one as i believe that it uses Frsky receivers which are the most popular receivers in bnf quads. this also runs on openTx which is also good. it also has hall sensor gimbals which i find are the best gimbals for controllers. it is also affordable. i have searched it up on my local hobby store and this is the features:
Features:
  • OpenTX Firmware
  • Hall Sensor Gimbals
  • CC2500 JP4IN1 Multi-Protocol Module
  • TBS Crossfire Nano & ImmersionRC Ghost module support
  • USB-C Charging
  • Voice & Vibration Function
had i not had my beloved modded turnigy evo then i would buy the jumper t lite.

Last edited:

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
there are two HappyModel BNF Modula 6 in stock on their website with about a $30 difference between them. are the differences just the camera resolution (VGA vs FHD) and the fact the lower priced VGA one comes with 4 batteries and the higher priced FHD one does not?

Yes, sir!

also, I am very intrigued by the Jumper RC T-Lite transmitter. it's got a lot of functions / features (lots of models, 16 channels, can be used with sim software) for the price and with 16 channels, looks to be a good one to work with airplanes, helicopters and multirotors. or am I misreading / misunderstanding what I've absorbed the last little while about transmitters?

Looks good! That one will work for Quads/Cars/Planes/Boats!

Marzipan

The VGA and FHD are referring to the quality of the camera, i would go with the cheaper one if you are not recording dvr to show to people (you still can use VGA for showing people your flights) however if you want to film yourself flying around wherever and if you want good video quality the go with the FHD option. It all depends on what you want to do, the VGA comes with 4 batteries which would amount to x amount of money saved however if you want hd then you would have to spend the $20 it is for 4 1s tiny whoop batteries.

The jumper series of controllers are very good, as stated by the name they can jump to many different models and types of UVA’s. The jumper T-lite is a good one as i believe that it has open Tx firmware. It also is i think a Frsky receiver which is the most common and correct me if i am wrong you can mount tbs crossfire modules to the back for extended range for if/ when you progress from tiny whoop to 3” to 5” etc.

well...the FHD camera would be much better suited for FPV, no? I know that is definitely something I want to try with quads and fixed wing in the future. I can only imagine the adrenaline rush doing so would cause!

I asked about the JJRC H36 in another post, which is a clone of the Eachine E010 and apparently a popular mod is to make it FPV.

Yes, sir!

Looks good! That one will work for Quads/Cars/Planes/Boats!

that is good news, woot woot! kicking myself that I missed a banggood flash deal where it was like $60 CAD instead of the usual $80 - $110 CAD I've seen it for regularly. :p

JasonK

there is analog, DJI, and Sharkbyte for FPV systems, so the FHD camera doesn't give you any better FPV (it would still be sending you analog), it looks like it just has on board DVR that will record as higher quality then is transmitted to your goggles.

Marzipan

there is analog, DJI, and Sharkbyte for FPV systems, so the FHD camera doesn't give you any better FPV (it would still be sending you analog), it looks like it just has on board DVR that will record as higher quality then is transmitted to your goggles.
I learned some more!

Yep. If you get the more expensive version all you are getting is 1080p recorded to an SD card on the drone. The video feed will be the same.

I always thought the cameras were recorded to an memory card for viewing after the fly. is it an SD card an a micro SD card?

I guess I assumed FPV resolution would be the same as the onboard camera if you had googles to match.

Im just gonna say fpv is super fun because you can fly through and around stuff.

This is what the best of the best can do with fpv

GOD MODE Activated ✅ | FPV Freestyle - YouTube

yeh, that is pretty cool! is flying in FPV any easier than not? my thought is that as long as your control reactions are correct, feeling the left / right / up / down would be a lot more natural then how our brain has to when flying third person. which is why headless became a thing.

JasonK

Depends on the type of flying your doing. I am quite sure that "3D" flying is going to be easier LOS then FPV, but flying through gates that are 200m from where you stand is going to be easier FPV. So it really depends on what your doing.

Also, when flying FPV your point of view is not the same as what your used to from day to day. When you get high up in the air, things look quite a bit different then from the ground, mix that in with the fact that the video feed is not as good as your eyes, and you can loose orientation. (you can also loose orientation on your craft LOS if it gets to far from you because it gets to small, but that is a different type of loss)

Marzipan

Depends on the type of flying your doing. I am quite sure that "3D" flying is going to be easier LOS then FPV, but flying through gates that are 200m from where you stand is going to be easier FPV. So it really depends on what your doing.

Also, when flying FPV your point of view is not the same as what your used to from day to day. When you get high up in the air, things look quite a bit different then from the ground, mix that in with the fact that the video feed is not as good as your eyes, and you can loose orientation. (you can also loose orientation on your craft LOS if it gets to far from you because it gets to small, but that is a different type of loss)

indeed. when you say 3D flying...you mean a camera feed on an attached phone / screen?

do drones have any safeties built in for situations like accidentally going out of range? I know of the hold / SAFE ones if you lose control or panic for some reason.

JasonK

indeed. when you say 3D flying...you mean a camera feed on an attached phone / screen?

do drones have any safeties built in for situations like accidentally going out of range? I know of the hold / SAFE ones if you lose control or panic for some reason.
no, 3D flying is stunt flying where you do things like hover, 4 point rolls, flat spins, etc, etc, etc...

Drones safeties depend on the firmware and hardware. For example my 'larger' drone has GPS and return to home setup if it has a LOS. However if it doesn't have GPS, the fail safe options are mostly 'turn off and fall' which for the most part is fairly safe for the drone and safe for people/etc if your flying in appropriate locations.

Marzipan

no, 3D flying is stunt flying where you do things like hover, 4 point rolls, flat spins, etc, etc, etc...

Drones safeties depend on the firmware and hardware. For example my 'larger' drone has GPS and return to home setup if it has a LOS. However if it doesn't have GPS, the fail safe options are mostly 'turn off and fall' which for the most part is fairly safe for the drone and safe for people/etc if your flying in appropriate locations.

what are the common safeties out there for the entry level aircraft?

I would think going into a holding pattern / hover status upon disconnection being universal.

a question popped into my head.

- what happens if you change quadcopter from a 2 blade prop to a 3 or 4 blade prop, assuming they fit?

JasonK

what are the common safeties out there for the entry level aircraft?

I would think going into a holding pattern / hover status upon disconnection being universal.
nothing, most will cut the thottle and that is it. however, if you have anything viable on a TX/RX, you will be able to flly >300m away from yourself with no problems.

- what happens if you change quadcopter from a 2 blade prop to a 3 or 4 blade prop, assuming they fit?

motor/prop combos are more complicated then that. Also most quads have 3 (or even 4) bladed props as it is. Fewer blades that are longer tend to be more efficent, but more blades that are shorter can give you faster power response. lots of trade offs. more blades can also give similar lift in less 'space' because the blades don't need to be as long. I would recommend sticking to the stock props (size/pitch/number of blades) until you have some experiance, so you don't over prop your motors and burn them out (under propping is less dangerous, but could make it just flat out not fly).

Last edited:

Marzipan

nothing, most will cut the thottle and that is it. however, if you have anything viable on a TX/RX, you will be able to flly >300m away from yourself with no problems.

- what happens if you change quadcopter from a 2 blade prop to a 3 or 4 blade prop, assuming they fit?[/QUOTE]

motor/prop combos are more complicated then that. Also most quads have 3 (or even 4) bladed props as it is. Fewer blades that are longer tend to be more efficent, but more blades that are shorter can give you faster power response. lots of trade offs. more blades can also give similar lift in less 'space' because the blades don't need to be as long. I would recommend sticking to the stock props (size/pitch/number of blades) until you have some experiance, so you don't over prop your motors and burn them out (under propping is less dangerous, but could make it just flat out not fly).[/QUOTE]

I hope the props on the E009 are decent. watched as review of the JJRC H95 airplane drone and it appears the props on it are terribad. it's 3x the price of the E009 too!