Looking for suggestions

Fbords

Hey all. I was looking for a micro sized foamy that I could fly in a small space for under $100. The only ones I've seen that I liked were the dynamic foamy ones Josh reviewed, but I'm not sure they will fly in a large great room.

earthsciteach

Flying inside a house is a tough one for an airplane, particularly for one made of foam. You may want to look into those balsa and mylar super-ultra-tiny-micro planes. I don't know what they're called, so I made that up.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
There is a compromise between the super light weight and the gymnasium size planes.
Parkzone Vapor is a good indoor model. I have the slightly heavier EMBER II but i think that model is discontinued.
I got something i thought was a "pirat" Ember from HobbyKing yesterday but that was a real disappointment :-(
It feels a lot heavier and unbalanced due to oval gears in motor/prop gear. I have not tried it in the air so i hope that i will be wrong in my judjement.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
That plane looks GOOD! 17 g / 0.6 oz
Byt take a look at the nightvapor http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZU1100 at the same weight
or the minivapor http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZU1200 at half weight !
The vapor looks fragile - and is - but not when flying - it takes a lot of crasches without any damage.

MrClean

I was going to say, the only time I think you'll damage a vapor is when you're handling it. Doesn't weigh enough or fly fast enough to damage itself. You get hit with a big gust outside and it'll crunch it up against something. You might just consider a 929,39 or 949 quad copter. I know, not an airplane and doesn't fly like one but I've been having a pretty good time with mine indoors and have even considered getting a different transmitter for it when I re-read the 929 thread. The little one that comes with it hurts my thumbs and is hard for my carpal tunnel confused hands to hold. But other then that it's been a blast trying to learn to fly the thing. Got mine from Bangood.com. It's a 949 so it has lights for night flying and plenty of power to take my keychain cam up.

Fbords

Those Uberlites look great. I've heard that in comparison to a Mini Vapor though, the controls are a little laggy. So it would appear that the BNF version of the Mini Vapor is the front runner. Anyone else have anything comparable that I can fly slow inside the house, but would still work outdoors on a windless day?

MrClean

Hey, reading through the 929 thread on this forum, you can buy the 929 in BNF and if you have a 9x you can bind to it. This little box hurts my thumbs. Here's a link tothe 949 BnF being setup on a 9X on Bangood. Doesn't say if he ever got the lights working but if you have a 9x or 9xR with the Turnigy module, looks to be a deal. I have FrSky and Spektrum so for now I'll be using the little box. But If I get one of the 9xR's I'll buy the Turnigy module OR just buy one of the 1SQrs and use my Spektrum on it. It is a pretty cool little toy. I just think it would be easier to control with a full size box. Dang Carpal Tunnel.

Fbords

I've seen that one, but I'm not sure if that's the one I want to buy. I sort of like the eRC Micro Stik from Hobby Lobby, but the fact that it has it's own electronics and cant be bound to my existing TX is holding me back. I like that it has great reviews, but I'm not sure I want to have yet another radio lying around. I looked at the Ember 2, but they appear to be discontinued. The Mini Vapor seems too slow and not as versatile as the Micro Stik. What do you guys think? Is it worth passing on what seems to be a great micro plane just because of the TX?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have an ember 2 for the kids and new people but it's way too fast for a living room. We fly it in the gym at the elementary school. There's a few good planes that are held back by crap transmitters. The hobbyzone mini super cub comes to mind. If it was able to be bound to another tx it would be a great plane but the stock tx is junk so I hate flying it.

If you want something for inside a home, the mini vapor is probably the best. If you have more room then something like an ember 2 would be better.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Where did you see the ember 2 discontinued? I just looked at horizon and they still have them for sale. The original ember is discontinued though, maybe that's what you say.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Where did you see the ember 2 discontinued? I just looked at horizon and they still have them for sale. The original ember is discontinued though, maybe that's what you say.
Sorry - i found the plane on the HH home page - just not in the "local shops homepage".
The EMBER II is in my opinion one of the best indoor planes for buddybox and training of new pilots.
I got the HobbyKing indoor plane #3 and expected it to be similar to the EMBER II but it was not so i hope to get more Embers if needed for coming indoor schooling.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I completely agree. I bring my Ember 2 to the gym and if anyone new shows up and wants to try they get the ember. I'll buddy box with the kids and most of the adults just take right to it.

davereap

micro sticks fly very well but are only motor and rudder for control.. so with more power it goes up and you get left and right by the actuator on the rudder
The night vapour or standard vapour is much nicer but more expensive .. it is rudder, elevator and power controlled by its own tx or by binding onto a spectrum radio set..
Its always nicest to fly these on your good TX so I would go for the Vapor as a light weight ready to fly...
Cheapest option is to build a micro r/c kite my latest is superb, it will fly almost as slow as the Vapor, but add power and it is fully aerobatic http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817859&page=3
Cost to build is about 3 cf rods.. then your small rx, esc and 3 servos, battery and motor... more than the micro stick, but less than the Vapor.. and a lot more fun if you can fly ok.. that kite can fly in a small badminton court sized hall, but needs a bit more room than a vapour for its aerobatics..

Last edited:

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Save your pennies and go the vapor/ mini vapor etc. I've flown the original vapor in very confined space.