Help! Looking for transmitters.

ninthninja05

I was a bit overzealous when ordering things for my Sparrow Mighty Mini, and got a transmitter without V Tail mixing, which is required for that model. I ordered it off of the FliteTest store, and I'm thinking of returning it for store credit. I'd prefer to use that credit to go towards a transmitter with V Tail mixing, but I don't know which ones available on the store have that feature. Any recommendations?

MaxTheFliteFreak

Most computerized radios have V-tail mixing, but using an elevon mix should work as well. Just make sure to always do plenty of research.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....got a transmitter without V Tail mixing, ...
I agree with Max, nearly all current Tx have Vtail mixing. I’m only aware of 1 Tx that doesn’t, the DXS.

There is an old school solution, a Vtail mixer like this one. It can be used for Vtail, flaperons and differential thrust.

CAA427B9-134F-4914-82EE-FCD27E325AA7.gif

ninthninja05

I agree with Max, nearly all current Tx have Vtail mixing. I’m only aware of 1 Tx that doesn’t, the DXS.

There is an old school solution, a Vtail mixer like this one. It can be used for Vtail, flaperons and differential thrust.

View attachment 233458
I got the Radiomaster T8 Lite, which can only bind one output to each control axis.

Foamforce

If you’re looking for a very inexpensive controller that is a good value, look at the FlySky fs-i6x. It’s as low as $50 on Amazon with the FS-ia6b receiver. It looks cheaper, but I own three and they’ve all been solid so far. It’s a popular choice for people getting into the hobby who aren’t sure whether they’re going to stick with it long enough to justify a $200 radio.

MaxTheFliteFreak

Agreed. The FS-I6 is a fantastic bang for buck radio that has many features of more expensive radios. I have one and I quite like it. It has a nice feel in my hands, the gimbals are smooth and it's so compact for it's functionality. You just can't beat that price point and what you're going to get from it. 100% reccomended.

Inq

Elite member
If you’re looking for a very inexpensive controller that is a good value, look at the FlySky fs-i6x. It’s as low as $50 on Amazon with the FS-ia6b receiver. It looks cheaper, but I own three and they’ve all been solid so far. It’s a popular choice for people getting into the hobby who aren’t sure whether they’re going to stick with it long enough to justify a $200 radio.

+2 on the FlySky FS-i6X. I'm new to the field and didn't want the heavy commitment up front... AMA and club membership are burden enough to get started without spending hundreds more on equipment. The receivers are also cheap. It comes with one, but with the FT design philosophy where the plane is $5, you'll quickly desire to have multiple ones and use the transmitters ability to program to many airplanes.

FS-i6X has Elevon and V-tail mixing and three programmable. I've used the Elevon and custom to do flaperons.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
+2 on the FlySky FS-i6X. I'm new to the field and didn't want the heavy commitment up front... AMA and club membership are burden enough to get started without spending hundreds more on equipment. The receivers are also cheap. It comes with one, but with the FT design philosophy where the plane is $5, you'll quickly desire to have multiple ones and use the transmitters ability to program to many airplanes.

FS-i6X has Elevon and V-tail mixing and three programmable. I've used the Elevon and custom to do flaperons.
+3 for me, especially if you give it the opentx upgrade

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
yeah, I heard of RadioMaster TX16s many positive things so I'm gonna order it and try myself
definately worth it, once you get past the learning curve. Highly recommend updating it to hte recent edgetx "Flying Dutchman" as they usually come with sligghtly old firmware

Bricks

Master member
It is a 8 channel radio i don`t see any reason it won`t do V-Tail mixing it takes two channels and two servos set up just like elevons. Am I missing something here?

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
It is a 8 channel radio i don`t see any reason it won`t do V-Tail mixing it takes two channels and two servos set up just like elevons. Am I missing something here?
if you are talking about the t8 lite, it just doesnt do mixing. I believe it mihgt be able to do it through a phone, though it is very complex.