looking into a first scratch build.

Pilot-294

here is what i am thinking, i have two options. one, i have a um mosquito that seems to be acting pretty weird, and i was thinking about tearing it apart for its goodies, and making a small micro twin, or maybe just a single engine, not sure which way to go with it. but ill wait till i figure out whats ailing it, or maybe if it wrecks hard enough to total her ill salvage earlier lol.

two, also thinking about a scratch build a wing. ill need to build from the ground up. but i will use my rx from the rtf pz f4u,(swapping back and forth as i fly to keep cost down) my dx5e,(from what i read its compatible right?) and make something cool.

both projects are gonna be long term. as right now i don't have the money to take either project on as I'm preparing for boot camp, so i figure if i get the research done early ill be one step ahead as i get to it :)

thoughts and advice is helpful!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
here is what i am thinking, i have two options. one, i have a um mosquito that seems to be acting pretty weird, and i was thinking about tearing it apart for its goodies, and making a small micro twin, or maybe just a single engine, not sure which way to go with it. but ill wait till i figure out whats ailing it, or maybe if it wrecks hard enough to total her ill salvage earlier lol.

Acting weird, let me guess... The servos are continually actuating and it sems a little twitchy? My UM Corsair does that, not sure why. One of the little servos sticks as well on the aileron, which I am guessing is from a bit of a hard landing.

I have been looking at the motor and servos from my blown up UM SU-26 and building something as well.

Let us know what you are going to do!

Pilot-294

not exactly, it has brief and sometimes complete flights of unresponsiveness to roll, I'm guessing either a bad servo or maybe the board... ill let you guys know what i do do with it tho

earthsciteach

Contact Parkzone and tell them of your problems. The extra money you pay for their airplanes compared to others pays off with phenomenal customer service. One of my students was having an issue with his Champ. I called the company and described the problem with the board. They said they were sending a new one. I was expecting a new board, but received a complete RTF Champ!

A wing is a good choice for your first scratch-build. Its easy and pretty inexpensive. They are a lot of fun, too!

See ya tomorrow!

Pilot-294

i tried calling horizon. the first guy said they would do me a courtesy and send one, then i did the range test they recommended, and called back. the next guy had me go over everything again and said there wasn't much they can do. i think its because i said we flew in snowy conditions. even tho i argued it flew for a long time after that with no issues, i was disappointed but not entirely upset... it was great customer service tho.

as for the wing, I'm thinking thats the way ill go. but I'm not 150%sure.

as for tomorrow, I'm hoping that the winds die off so we can do some outside flying as well, but if not I'm fine messing around with the ultra micros in the gym! i have been absolutely DYING to try this 300!

Pilot-294

ooh so i just looked online, and found my dream plane (i think) i want to do a twin EDF SR-71 Blackbird.

got to be scale, i wanna do the mod b with the raised rear canopy (i think its mod b?) flat black with red lines for sure.

retracts are a must with this plane. i want to do a medium scale. not a park flyer, but not too large to be hand launched by a friend need be. i want to fly strictly scale. no rolls loops or anything the real deal didn't do. i want to be able to fly slow(ish) but i want to be able to get it screaming fast too.

5 channel, retracts (steerable), scale, twin edf, and fast as a squirrel on crack with a jetpack, battery hatch in the front and edfs mounted near the rear so there is a short distance between the motors and the end of the tubes (forgot the correct term)

my ideas so far, make a tube for the main fuselage hard for overall stability. maybe cardboard or similar with epoxy brushed on for a hard surface or resin? then ill run 2 carbon spars near the front third and rear third with one balsa spar out to the engine mounts. build up the fuselage and wings with epp (i like epp idk why but i want a smooth surface too...) ill run 4 servos, one for the twin rudders, one for the innermost control surfaces, and one for each outermost surfaces. ill run all 4 as elevator and only outside for ailerons. ill want to use some plans for measurements and maybe scaling things but i think this is what i might work on soon, well post bmt lol. maybe ill draft plans and start getting stuff ready but the research starts now!

EDIT: ^^ scratch that ill just do balsa that'll be a lot easier

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor

two, also thinking about a scratch build a wing. ill need to build from the ground up. but i will use my rx from the rtf pz f4u,(swapping back and forth as i fly to keep cost down) my dx5e,(from what i read its compatible right?) and make something cool.

both projects are gonna be long term. as right now i don't have the money to take either project on as I'm preparing for boot camp, so i figure if i get the research done early ill be one step ahead as i get to it :)

thoughts and advice is helpful!

To keep the cost down go to hobbyking and get the Spektrum compatible orange Rx. It's only 5.99 and it works great. I use 4 of them.

If you are getting twitch ultra micros, clean the linear servos. My friend had the same problem.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
To keep the cost down go to hobbyking and get the Spektrum compatible orange Rx. It's only 5.99 and it works great. I use 4 of them.

If you are getting twitch ultra micros, clean the linear servos. My friend had the same problem.

What is the best way to clean them?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Some of that keyboard cleaning compressed air and a little oil like WD40 is what he said he used.

Vintauri

Minnesota RC'r
Some of that keyboard cleaning compressed air and a little oil like WD40 is what he said he used.

Just remember WD40 is not a lubricant, it is designed to attract dirt and water. It would be better to get a light machine oil like used on sewing machines and use that instead.

Vintauri

Minnesota RC'r
It's possible just make sure it's a lightweight oil. Also be careful as some solvents in some oil will eat at the nylon gears.

Pilot-294

ill try it on a few spare nylon parts first, ill probably not mess with it right away, but if it gets worse ill attempt and let you know as soon as i know

Pilot-294

at least I'm almost right (for once haha) but yea the SR-71B has always been my favorite, well one of my top favorites, why the b variant idk but i love it. plus its unique :cool:

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
at least I'm almost right (for once haha) but yea the SR-71B has always been my favorite, well one of my top favorites, why the b variant idk but i love it. plus its unique :cool:

Yup! The extra canopy would add a little bit drag, but probably not enough to notice. For the roll, as it's a long plane with short wings, you might need to add a gyro. And for pitch, maybe you need a huge elevator XD

Pilot-294

nah, ill get by. maybe ill just run all the control surfaces at once to counter that. all i need is enough for good scale flight feel, and a gyro is a wonderful idea. ill look for something like the as3x system. that way ill have all 3 controls in one gyro.

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
nah, ill get by. maybe ill just run all the control surfaces at once to counter that. all i need is enough for good scale flight feel, and a gyro is a wonderful idea. ill look for something like the as3x system. that way ill have all 3 controls in one gyro.

OK. And, if you're not going to be doing rolls, you would probably need to decrease the throw on the ailerons. BTW, what radio do you have?

Pilot-294

currently, dx5e, but once i have this done i should well have the dx8 or 7, I'm starting after i get thru the USAF tech schooling.