Looking to build a multirotor

CONNXT248

RC Noobie
I have had an interest in multirotors for a while, and now i'm looking to build a diy one. I have a micro quad I fly around and have considerable amount of flying time on a "simulator" on my phone. I am looking for suggestions for basically anything; electronics, frame, flight controller, etc. I have a DX5e radio for my champ and for a FT storch, would that be able to use to fly a quad? Thanks for your input!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
There's more or less three main categories now, so you need to decide.

The small mini-type "racer". They are great for maneuverability, acrobatics, and racing. You can fly through fairly dense trees, through larger sewer pipes, under bridges, etc. They tend to handle crashes much better than larger multi's. The drawback is the flight time is generally 25-50% of that of larger multirotors.

The mid-size "Phantom" or "Discovery" type. A bit smoother in flight than a mini, and is a bit less concerned with weight than a mini-multi, so they can carry more complex electronics, like GPS, a full 2 or 3-axis gimbal, big(er) battery, a nicer camera, etc. The flight time is generally in the 15-25 minute range.

The full size hex, octo or hex12 and octo16. Can carry large, fully gimbled high-end cameras, along with all other electronics. These tend to fly slow and have slower response and much less maneuverability. They spin larger and slower, more efficient props, and can have quite long flight times upwards of around 40 minutes with a decent payload, if accelerations are kept to a minimum.

My guess, if you're new, you would have the most fun with a mini-quad.

The Alpine Ace

Hello there! Welcome to the Multirotor world of RC. I have to warn you that your opening a can of worms when you venture to build your own though. You won't be able to stop building/modding/flying! I have few warnings and suggestions if you want to get into this.

WARNING:
-You WILL spend at least %50 more than you expect for your first few multirotors
-You will not have a multirotor that flies like your usual RTF machine. It will be difficult to fly.
-It will take you more time to adjust the settings than you think. Especially the P and I settings. Be prepared to work with the "trial and error" method for a few days.
-Once you build a successful, well flying machine, you wont be satisfied... you'll always want more. :p

ADVICE:
-Get somebody who has built one to help you along with yours. I spent a few weeks/months on my first multirotor, but as soon as I went to flitefest in 2015 and had help, I had a tricopter flying within a few days.
-Use FliteTests Quad pack, its very useful and reliable and all the power issues are already layed out and taken care of.
-Make a frame that you are willing to break and scratch. Don't worry about it looking pretty. It will look a bit more used after every flight. Build one out of the simple wooden booms first so you can fix your crashes for cheap, then move onto those fancy carbon fiber things.
-USE A KK2!! I can't emphasize enough that this board is an amazing beginners board and is really good at introducing beginners to the maths involved with flying a 4 rotored robot made of sticks.
-DONT GIVE UP! It will get very difficult at some times and you will wonder why you even tried. (I built 3 unsuccessful waste-o-money quads before I built one successful one) But it will be totally worth it once you realize that your flying a machine that you put together with your own hands :D
-Start with a quad. They are the easiest and simplest to set up and operate. :)

Also, I believe your DX5e should work fine, but if you want to get more into other multirotors and aircraft, I'd highly recommend upgrading to a DX6i. It's a lot easier to use and can help you work out a lot of problems with multirotors when they arise.

If you have any questions please message me. I'd love to answer any other questions your have. Hope you have a fun time building and flying!

CONNXT248

RC Noobie
Quad

I guess I forgot to mention, but I am looking for a 240-300 size racing quadcopter that I can add FPV to once I get the money. It will need to be gyro stabilized, as I am a newbie. As I was typing the original post, I had Flite Test's DIY quad kit and powerpack open in another tab, I was just wondering if maybe it would be too advanced. I guess with the KK2, I can turn down the rates? Thanks for the help! Also, speaking of FPV, what do you suggest? I've looked into the fatshark goggles, they seem fairly expensive. As a 15-year-old, I need to save money :p

Last edited:
The Versacopter is excellent. Don't worry about PID settings since you will be flying it in stabilized (e.g. horizon on Cleanflight with a Naze32 Acro board) mode to start. Watching the build videos helps you learn and there is lots of help available on this forum.

However, for the money, the Eachine racer 250 from Banggood is a great bargain. They sell for $149 and this includes camera and video transmitter. You will still need video goggles (I bought Boscam goggles for $200 and they work awesome). The Eachine racer is ofte on sale for less. They are ready to fly -- just add a receiver. I used an Orange rx for $11.00. You can fly it with the Dx5e but I would buy a Dx6 or DX6i.

I have both of these copters and love them. I do recommend goggles over video screen for FPV since it is a more immersive experience. I'd be happy to answer questions too if you send me a note.

Zunar99

Versacopter would be perfect for you. It's a great for a first build. The video is really helpful and you can get it up and flying in just a matter of hours.

Hey Alpine Ace

I enjoy your response. Very good information. I have built David's tricopter and just completed my first scratch quad. It is all too much fun and a lot of good learning.

My question,,,,is to get your (or anyone's) suggestions as to ones first steps in tweaking the kk2 board. Mine are flashed with Steveis. Any simple thoughts for a beginner would be great. Thanks to all! ! !

Happy Flying

CONNXT248

RC Noobie
Thanks for all your guys' suggestions. I went with the DYS 250 size quad, since Hobby King was having a big price slash. I also purchased the quamum goggles for fpv. Thanks again!!