Looking to get F-27 Evolution (943mm) but know nothing about transmitters and whatnot

Dead_fish

Hi everyone! This is the first time I'm looking into getting a new RC Plane. I've had a HobbyZone Champ for a while now, and am looking to upgrade to the F-27 Evolution. However, I don't know what to get or how any of the Bind-and-Fly works, since the Champ was a Ready-to-Fly. The website says I need a Full-range, 6+ Channel DSMX®/DSM2® Transmitter with Adjustable Dual Rates, 1800-2200mAh 4S or 2200-2500mAh 3S Li-Po Flight Battery, and a suitable charger. Any recommendations that are cheap and affordable? Thank you so much!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I have heard good things about the spektrum DX6, and it will bind with the model you are interested in, and compared to other spektrum transmitters is quite inexpensive. Also if you take this route make sure to invest in some rechargeable AA batteries.

For a charger, I personally use the a B6AC pro charger by IMAX which can be found here. There are cheaper chargers but this had worked well for me and gives me the option to expand for other plane's batteries in the future.

Any turnigy battery with the battery specs listed above will be affordable and preform well from my experience. If you're really on a budget I have had good experiences with some of the "off brand" Chinese batteries from banggood.com as well.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have heard good things about the spektrum DX6, and it will bind with the model you are interested in, and compared to other spektrum transmitters is quite inexpensive. Also if you take this route make sure to invest in some rechargeable AA batteries.

For a charger, I personally use the a B6AC pro charger by IMAX which can be found here. There are cheaper chargers but this had worked well for me and gives me the option to expand for other plane's batteries in the future.

Any turnigy battery with the battery specs listed above will be affordable and preform well from my experience. If you're really on a budget I have had good experiences with some of the "off brand" Chinese batteries from banggood.com as well.

As foamtest has said, the DX6 wll work perfectly for this. You can use any of Spektrum's radios for 6 channels and above for this plane, which include the DX6i and DX6e. I have that particular plane (Thanks to Stefan and Flite Test!) and it works great with a DX6. The differences with the Dx6i and DX6e are going to be the lack of voice speaking to you saying things like, "Flight mode X" or "X seconds remaining", as well as dual/diversity antenna, but those are the only things you'd really be missing.

And definitely invest in recchargeable batteries. Costco usually has a deal on the Eneloop batteries, where you get 8 AAs and 4 AAAs, plus a charger; best batteries I have found for the transmitter!

Mode 1

Welcome!

I'm not sure, but I think the f-27 may beat the Champ in a drag race ;)

As noted above, the Spektrum Dx6e would be a very solid option for a transmitter.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have a dx6e and it I well worth it.

The Dx6/Dx6e/Dx6i radios are what i’d Consider to be the workhorses of the Spektrum Transmitter line. They don’t do EVERYTHING, but for the price point, ease of setup, ability to work with the bind n’ fly planes, and popularity, they’re a great transmitter that will last years and fulfill probably 99.9% of your flying needs.

Is it perfect for everyone? No. There will be people who need more channels (I need 12 channels for a P-38 I’m working on), or people who don’t find it comfortable in their hands (I find the Taranis Qx7 to be uncomfortable to fly with; it feels a little...mushy to me, and my impression was that it felt like a cheap transmitter you’d find in an RC car packed for a quick Christmas sale; it might’ve been the one I picked up being used and abused, but I still didn’t like that transmitter)...but I digress. Great radio, inexpensive without feeling cheap, can’t go wrong buying as your first transmitter. 😁