Looking to Intergrate stablization into my son plane

mattyj724

Ok i would like to add a CHEAP stabilization into my sons plan to make it more of a trainer. Currently have a DX6 and some Spektrum receivers. 4 - 6 channel. I see a lot of options for this for other (non dsmx) brands, but nothing that seems compatible with Spektrum. Again im not trying to drop 100+ into this.

Any ideas? I am not worried whether it is a combo reciever/ gyro, or an addon, either way it works for me. Thanks all!

FastCrash45

Elite member
Ok i would like to add a CHEAP stabilization into my sons plan to make it more of a trainer. Currently have a DX6 and some Spektrum receivers. 4 - 6 channel. I see a lot of options for this for other (non dsmx) brands, but nothing that seems compatible with Spektrum. Again im not trying to drop 100+ into this.

Any ideas? I am not worried whether it is a combo reciever/ gyro, or an addon, either way it works for me. Thanks all!
I found a 3 axis gyro on hobbyking for $15. Don't know how good it is yet since I haven't installed it. That or look on banggood for one. If you go through banggood it could take a month to get it. On hobbyking I would use the filters and see what they have in the USA

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Look at the Hobby Eagle family of stabilizers, they work with any Rx. The have several choices ranging from $20 to $50. Several have a trainer mode and an auto level mode, also know as the SAVE ME switch.

I just bought several of the A3 Pro, which should arrive in a few days. I'm looking for the Auto Hover (3D) and Heading Hold (knife edge) features.

Here's where I got mine. http://www.valuehobby.com/accessories/flight-stabilization.html

mattyj724

Same here ... you can find lots of cheap stabilization options at places like HK (I think I bought something from 'orange'.) I still haven't installed it anywhere though. I'm not saying they don't make a difference or aren't useful ... but ...

For learning to fly: find a gentle/slow/stable/light airplane to train on. Pick a nice calm day/time to train. Some extra electronic gizmo isn't going to be the deciding factor. If you are putting this into a higher performance/faster airplane, then you will just crash into the ground straighter and less wobblier than without stabilization. Edit: these units also enable you to crash on windier days. The less expensive units typically just stabilize out the rotational disturbances and make the plane feel bigger ... like it has more mass. But they don't level the wings or save you from student mistakes. (Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while since I looked ...)

Things like px4 and ardupilot can level wings and fly autonomously, but that adds so much extra complexity ... they create a whole new set of things to learn and new set of things that can go wrong. (But these can be super fun to experiment with if that's what you are interested in.)

I don't think you need fancy electronics to learn how to fly. You just need a good airplane and the mind set to see it through despite possible set backs. Flite test makes quite a few that are cheap and quick to build ... perfect for the learning environment! (A good instructor and sim time can really help too.)

Just my 2 cents. :)

Curt.

I personally learned to fly without any help, However for my 9year old. Im looking to give him a little help so he doesnt loose interest. With a simple auto level, i think we can get him a feel for it a little quicker. But thanks

kdobson83

Look into Lemon Rx. Headsuphobby.com has them for the best price I've been able to find. $29 for a diversity antenna 7channel 3 axis gyro Rx WITH auto level!!. Here's the link - https://www.headsuphobby.com/mobile...lizer-PLUS-with-Diversity-Antenna_p_2285.html

I have 3 of them including one in my 125% spitfire and they work great! For that price but they work really well and are pretty easy to use.

Another dsmx compatible RX manufacturer that makes a decent RX for cheap would be the Admiral RX. They make dmsx RX's for motionrc.

evranch

Lemon RX is a good cheap stabilizer that will let you fly on windier days. It is not SAFE and just limits rates, giving your plane a more "on-rails" feeling. It might be a decent training tool as it smooths out aggressive inputs and eats gusts but otherwise lets you fly the plane. Kind of like having a ton of expo.

Lemon RX PLUS, which I have never tried, is supposed to be a SAFE-style system that can level the wings, and enables an angle control mode where your stick angle corresponds to your bank/climb angle. This is the sort of system that produces bad habits. Personally, even after flying a few minutes in Arduplane FBWA mode, I find myself making more aggressive stick inputs and holding too much aileron in turns when I go back to manual flight.

Bricks

Master member
I think for a 9 year old, dad I think you are of the right mind set anything you can do to help him out is a good thing. Ultra simplicity the Lemon 3 axis for better management in crucial circumstances the HobbyEagle.

quorneng

Master member
+1 for the Lemon Rx stabiliser.
I have 2 and one Orange equivalent which is not quite as good.
I can only suggest you fit it, set the gains to no more than mid position (don't forget to check the gyro 'correction' actually works the control surface in the right way to counter any disturbance!) and go and fly the plane yourself switching the gyro on and off to see the difference.
In calmer conditions it is hard to tell the difference but in any sort of turbulence the effect is magic however it does not prevent 'crashing in the normal way'!
Avoid a new pilot getting overly reliant on it.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I just setup the A3 Pro on my new Timber X. Haven't maidened it yet but does anyone have advice on flight characteristics with flaps? if I'm in trainer mode and deploy landing flaps is it going to try to correct? What's the best mode setup for someone still learning to fly (take away the fact that the Timber X isn't the first plane to suggest for a trainer). I currently have my 3 position switch set up for OFF, NORMAL, TRAINER but wast thinking of replacing normal with AUTO-LEVEL.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

As you already have Spektrum you might as well purchase a SAFE receiver as it will be far easier to implement.

With respect to other, (Non-Spektrum), stabilisers, they tend to be vendor agnostic! They will plug into almost any receiver and can be used in almost any plane you wish to fly. Some of the cheaper units are only 3 axis and do not have a "SAFE" mode. I use the NX3 for those who are starting to learn because it will not allow the plane to invert, (in one of its selected modes of operation)!

If you want a real good stabiliser and have a few dollars to spend then look at the ZOHD Lite. It not only emulates the "SAFE" mode but it also has a GPS built in, (and antenna supplied). The GPS is used for a return to home or Geofencing option. The return to home is obvious and the geofencing means that the plane will not fly away but rather will hit the distance limit, (user set), and turn back towards the take off point.

One of my students is using the ZOHD and he takes off by just opening the throttle as the stabiliser controls everything else, he flies around and when he gets confused he just lets go of the sticks and the plane self rights, and finally to land he just lines the plane up with the runway and cuts the throttle, (and then lets go of the controls), as the stabiliser glides the plane all of the way to touchdown.

Sadly most external stabilisers will need more than 4 channels to operate and a 6 channel receiver could be considered as a minimum.

Just my thoughts!

Have fun!