Looking to purchase 2nd plane

moffettman

Hey Guys,

I am new to RC flight and have pretty much taught myself how to fly by watching the show (thanks Joshes). After watching about 30 episodes, I decided to buy the Hobbyzone Champ. It was affordable enough that I wouldn't be wasting much money if I decided that it wasn't for me. Well, I absolutely love flying and I feel that I am ready to move on to my next plane. What I am not sure about is whether or not I should just get a larger 3-channel airplane or if I should graduate on to a 4-channel. I would think the jump from a 3-channel micro to a regular sized 4-channel would be pretty steep. What do you all think?

If I do decide to stay with 3-channels, I have been looking at the Super Cub LP and the Radian. Any qualms about either of those? As far as 4-channel trainers are concerned, does anyone have any recommendations? I noticed their was a 4-channel Radian, but I'm not sure about flying sailplanes.

Thanks for the help!

Rob

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Well, I'm partial to the Super Cub, BUT I think that if you are comfortable with flying 3 channels, you should be able to "graduate" to a 4 channel. In my opinion, flying a small plane is harder than flying a larger one. I hear the Bixler is a good beginner or intermediate plane. You don't want to do what I did and buy a plane that you are going to get bored with. A 4 channel trainer/sport flyer to me would be a good purchase. Or, you can go with the Super Cub(which is an amazing plane) and add your own 4th channel by adding ailerons. Just some thoughts. Do you have any goals with flying like 3d?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Supercub LP all the way. Now that you are hooked and will likely be buying other planes go with the Bind n Fly and get a DX6i radio.
The Supercub flies great stock 3ch out of the box (get rid of the ACT sensors they are crap). When you get bored it is an easy conversion to 4ch. When you really want to have fun converting to brushless really wakes it up! Drop by and look at some of the cubs over on the cub thread.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?1074-Show-off-your-HZ-Super-Cub!&p=27895#post27895

It depends on your skill and comfort level whether or not you could jump right into a four channel.
The ParkZone Corsair flies great, not quite trainer characteristics but almost.

Or you might consider a flying wing. An EPP flying wing can be a great second plane and is durable enough to help you survive the learning curve. Do you have people to fly with to help you out or are you all on your own?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If you ask me, go for a Bixler. It's a long wait, but it beats the price of the SuperCub at similar flying capabilities and durability. I must say I'm partial to the Bixler, and I haven't flown a SuperCub.

If you are in the USA and need top class service, then go with a SuperCub. If you are outside the USA or are on a budget, then get a Bixler.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
So far everyone is right on, those are all great planes. The real question is, which plane gets you excited? Are you into warplanes, scale flight.......do extreme 3D planes get you excited? There are a whole lot of great planes that haven't been mentioned. Also, do you want to build one or take it out of the box and fly like you did with the Champ? I have one of about everything out there from nitro to small foam to scale planes, helis etc. They are all fun but in different ways.

I personally started with the SuperCub LP and added the ailerons brushless motor, flaps, bomb drop etc. It's a great way to go if you like building and I would put money down that it will out perform a Bixler hands down. Out of the box the Bixler has four channels and good flying characteristics but it's more of a sailplane than a scale plane and personally that doesn't interest me. I prefer scale planes and 3D planes. Not saying it's not a good plane it's just not for me. It would be a great first 4 channel as many many people will tell you.

If you are nervous about 4 channel but you like building, you can get the super cub lp and get used to it, then for the price of two servos and some tape you can add your own ailerons.

There's a bunch of 4 channel planes though and lots of them fly very very well. The T28 Trojan from Parkzone is one. It's a fantastic plane.

So what get's you going?

moffettman

Thanks for all the great feedback!!

I'm not really sure what gets me going just yet. I really just enjoy flying around. I would like to fly scale warbirds at some point, once I get the hang of flying 4-channel. The Champ is difficult to fly in the wind, but I really enjoy the challenge which is why I mentioned the Radian as a possibility. The Bixler is also intriguing to me, but I live in the US and it seems to be hard plane to get a hold of. Speaking of hard planes to get a hold of, what's the deal with the global shortage in RC planes? The Bixler, Radian BNF, Super Cub BNF, and T28 BNF are all out of stock!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor

I'm not really sure what gets me going just yet. I really just enjoy flying around. I would like to fly scale warbirds at some point, once I get the hang of flying 4-channel. The Champ is difficult to fly in the wind, but I really enjoy the challenge which is why I mentioned the Radian as a possibility. The Bixler is also intriguing to me, but I live in the US and it seems to be hard plane to get a hold of. Speaking of hard planes to get a hold of, what's the deal with the global shortage in RC planes? The Bixler, Radian BNF, Super Cub BNF, and T28 BNF are all out of stock!

If you think you are up for a build, check the planes at crashtesthobby.com.
They have line of epp trainers that are easy tp build and fly.
they are kits but designed with new pilots in mind.
planeinsanerc.com also sells their kits in a one box type kit.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Haha, crap planes are always in stock, that's why ;)

Don't be scared of 4 channels. I don't see why people think it's a big step, or even why 3 channels is recommended for beginners. It's all about flying characteristics. If a plane is predictable, self-recovers from stalls and lands dead stick, there's no excuse to avoid flying it once you've got the basics down (which, flying the champ, you probably do). There are many, many planes that fit this bill. As mentioned above, try and figure out what sort of planes you want to fly.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Don't be scared of 4 channels.

I think flying a 4 channel plane (bank and yank) is easier as it allows you to do what you want - with rudder, you push rudder, the rudder adds yaw to the plane, the dihedral makes you bank, and THEN you start turning.

Ailerons FTW.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The FlyZone Switch is a bigger faster plane than the Champ.

High wing AND Shoulder wing in the same.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Speaking of hard planes to get a hold of, what's the deal with the global shortage in RC planes? The Bixler, Radian BNF, Super Cub BNF, and T28 BNF are all out of stock!

Hobbyzone.com has the Super Cub LP NF and the Trojan T28 BNF is stock right now.

Pilot-294

just my 2 cents but as its already been said don't be afraid of a 4 channel plane. my first plane was a 4 channel gas trainer and it didn't work out too well. but the next plane i bought was a Parkzone F4U corsair 40 incher and ever since my second flight i have been able to fly it very well. not saying it would be the best plane in the world to upgrade from a micro 3 channel just saying don't be afraid of the 4th channel.

maybe try the trojan by park zone. i hear really good things about that and its also a good scale warbird that will take you a while to outgrow. and with the larger plane and motor the wind won't be any problem.

although i also had really good luck with the ultra micro mosquito too it was always really good in the wind and was terribly stable. it was my second plane (if you don't count the trainer i flew 3 times haha)

my 2 cents take it or leave it :)

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
The jump from something like a Champ to 4-channel plane is a pretty big jump, but it's doable, especially if you get some stick time with a sim. The PZ T-28 in either the full-size or the UM is a great 4-channel trainer. You'll want to dial in some expo and get used to low and high rates, but the T-28 is fairly docile. The biggest change you'll get is speed - it's a much faster airplane.

You could go with a bigger 3-channel, but in the end that might be a bit limiting - you're not going to really advance your flying skills with a bigger 3-channel plane other than just getting used to a bigger airframe. Starting with something like a Champ gives you the same basics that starting with a larger 3-channel plane does.

I've heard good things about the Apprentice as well - never flown it personally, but it's supposed to be a good 4-channel trainer.

I'm obviously partial to the Bixler, and it is a decent first 4-channel plane - a little floaty, but very fun.

If you want to get into warbirds, the T-28 is a fantastic plane. If you're more interested into going into FPV or soaring, then the Bixler is a good choice.

moffettman

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Bixler (if Hobbyking ever gets anymore in stock). Once I get the hang of that, I hope to jump to a faster 4-channel plane like the T.28.

Thanks for all the help! I look forward to sharing my experience on the forum.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The Bixler is often in stock in the International warehouse. It's an excellent choice, as it's a very versatile plane - I was slope soaring with mine yesterday, while on warm, still days I thermal with it, I've used it to teach beginners, have an FPV project in the pipeline, and just mucked around with it over small-ish ovals. Undoubtedly you'll be very happy with it. Remember to make the small number of recommended mods and you'll have a high quality piece of kit. The most important mods are to re-glue the control horns (notorious for coming unstuck) and using a bit of threadlock on the motormount screws (otherwise they slowly come undone).