Loss of signal around school building!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I fly in this football field near my house at a school when it is closed and sometimes lose total signal. This is the only place I have ever lost signal when flying. I fly the Tiny Trainer there with a Spektrum AR400 receiver and my DX8G2. When I put my micro FPV setup on the TT it will also lose video signal in the exact same spot! There is a baseball diamond near the school buildings on that side of the yard and also a couple of old semi truck steel storage containers over there. This will happen at low and high altitude, which I find very strange. I may as well call it the Bermuda triangle! It won't happen anywhere else in the field area. It happened at around 300 feet alt today and I thought my little TT was lost forever then bam! I had signal again and was happy:)

I wonder what is causing this? Maybe the school has a jammer for kids cell phones? Maybe the school has super duper WiFi that is interfering? Maybe some neighbor has some weird radio setup or jammer? Maybe there is aliens in the shipping containers and they are trying to steel my Tiny Trainer?

What ever it is, it scares the Jeepers out of me when I lose all control for 1-2 seconds!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have an area in the yard where I fly like that. I have set up my gate in that dead zone several times already. Think being up 300 ft is scary be three feet and full throttle when it happens. I learned a while ago my first battery is always a warm up and go find the dead zones flight.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The only thing worse than that feeling is somebody else popping in on your channel when the plug in and you see nothing but their face staring at you.... I have several metal silos at the field where I fly. Get all sorts of reflections off them that can cause some really bad FPV drop outs. I've learned not to panic when going over by them and try to make sure I'm not headed off into a direction of no return...

Cheers!
LitterBug

earthsciteach

Its probably the wifi which operates in the 2.4 GHz range. Cell phone jammers are highly illegal, unfortunately. Wish I could install one in my classroom.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
What, you never heard about aliens in shipping containers!? They're everywhere! :D

RCMAN

Haha! Dude that is hilarious! I totally get it! But I wonder if Nhk meant space aliens! I cant stop laughing!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its probably the wifi which operates in the 2.4 GHz range. Cell phone jammers are highly illegal, unfortunately. Wish I could install one in my classroom.

install chicken wire above the asbestos ceiling panels and ground it.. make your class one huge Faraday cage.