Lost Foam Fuselages - Jart fiberglass fuselage build thread

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Getting ready.
IMG_20181027_121422.jpg IMG_20181027_122437.jpg IMG_20181027_143231.jpg IMG_20181027_150051.jpg IMG_20181027_152259.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Gotta get some nice Sunday clothes on right now, but after that it's latex gloves and epoxy time.
IMG_20181028_101655.jpg IMG_20181028_101638.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
I have some Thin strips of much lighter fiberglass so in case this 6 oz stuff won't make the sharp bends around the tail feathers I can just cut it close and then wrap this stuff around the leading and trailing Edge.

thenated0g

Mentor
Took way more attention than I anticipated and having epoxy covered gloves didn't help, but I did get some video. Only did one layer of 6oz. Will finish tomorrow.

thenated0g

Mentor
on the first layer i did a couple days ago i 77'd the inside of the cloth. It sticks really well, actually let me wrap the fiberglass around the edges, so that was pretty great. The problem was where i had some folds when i didn't lay it flat, when i pulled it up it pulled up the PVA film from the tape/wax. But other than that it worked great. I would say my main issue was i tried to pre trim the fiberglass and i should have left the excess on and trimmed it after placing it and than i wouldn't have had to rearrange.

I didnt notice very many bubbles at all under the first layer, in between the cloth and tape. The pva and cloth stick together pretty well. I had to use some zip ties on the nose and tail to keep those tapers tight though.

I didn't realize how much time it would take to get thru the whole process so only did the one layer. This isnt a epoxy setting up issue but just a 6 year old daughter wanted time issue lol

This morning i sanded the entire surface and cleaned it off. Than i sprayed the entire fuselage with 77. This worked really well. The tow stuck to it very very well, not even giving the glue any time to dry just immediately applying the carbon. I pulled it tight and it just stuck down without shrinking.

I did have some bubbling up in areas especially where the carbon tow crossed over itself. I worked it out as much as i could but im not going to beat myself up over it. Its my first time doing this. Im sure its not as strong as it could be, but im learning. Next time i will be sure to give myself time and do all the layers at once. Even this second layer went significantly faster than the first layer as i knew what to expect and how the fiberglass was going to behave. On the first layer i didnt realize that you need to wet it out and give it time to absorb into the cloth before it will lay down. So this second layer i would start on an area and immediately move on, coming back in a few minutes after it was plyable.

I think with this 6oz s-glass i would not super77 it next time. Whatever binder it has keeps it together very well and its not needed. And once you wet down a strip all the way down it really isnt moving anymore.

thenated0g

Mentor
Added the epoxy and filler. Loving this epoxy, it has a really really long work time. I dont have to worry about it setting up at all.
IMG_20181109_124043.jpg

IMG_20181109_124320_101.jpg IMG_20181109_124320_105.jpg