Lost my J-20 Today

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Yep I lost my J-20 today. No it did not fly off out of range. It did not crash and I did not misplace it.
As a matter of fact it has not been in the air yet.

I built it with dual temp hot glue and the summer temps caused several seams to turn loose. Now I will have to clean off the hot glue and use a quality epoxy to rebuild it.
Hot glue may melt at a fairly high temp but it has no strength near 110 F.
Any joint under stress can fail. Lesson learned. No hot glue at critical airframe junctions.

Thurmond

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
..I built it with dual temp hot glue and the summer temps caused several seams to turn loose. Now I will have to clean off the hot glue and use a quality epoxy to rebuild it.
Hot glue may melt at a fairly high temp but it has no strength near 110 F.
.. Thurmond
Same for UHU Por. A hot day in the car and you have your airplane as separate parts.

treadd

Uber N00b
I had the exact same thing happen this last weekend. Left a ExAir style 60" wingspan (future FPV plane) in my trunk here in southern california, and when I opened the trunk on Tuesday, it was nothing but individual parts. :(

Was thinking about trying hi-temp glue and gluegun, but on the other hand I should just not leave hotglued planes in my car when its hot. :)

Does anyone have any experience using high temp glue or other type of foam safe adhesives on Redi-Board?

Tritium

Luckily I do not have any issues with hot cars. I live on my flying site. I do have a problem when storing my planes in my unconditioned shop which is where this one was moved in cooler weather. I did not even think about it till I was moving it around yesterday and noticed the nose pieces of the fuselage were separated.

Thurmond

treadd

Uber N00b
I live on my flying site.

Thurmond

Lucky! Although I have a RC airfield about 10 min from home, it still requires loading up the car, and dealing with crowds on the weekends. When I retire and move the hell away from LA, I want to find a place where I can hand launch out the back door from my kitchen table. :D Only 25 years to go...sigh

Tritium

Lucky! Although I have a RC airfield about 10 min from home, it still requires loading up the car, and dealing with crowds on the weekends. When I retire and move the hell away from LA, I want to find a place where I can hand launch out the back door from my kitchen table. :D Only 25 years to go...sigh

Gasp!! 25 years around a place like LA (any big city) and I would be retiring 6 feet under :(

Actually at my age 25 years anywhere will probably see me 6' under anyway! :black_eyed:

Thurmond

Last edited: