Love to see dedicated Aura 5 forum

bisco

Elite member
i'd just love to see some activity for that matter. this product has died on the vine here and at rcgroups.
makes it difficult for new users.

bisco

Elite member
thank you dap. i have been doing a lot of reading, and still have a lot to learn!

i was told that this is a simple as it gets. i guess i'm even simpler :confused:

thank you dap. i have been doing a lot of reading, and still have a lot to learn!

i was told that this is a simple as it gets. i guess i'm even simpler :confused:
I dunno @bisco, I've got an Aura but have had some difficulties figuring it out. A lot of questions just don't seem to be answered, I had to start begging this forum for answers.

I recently picked up the Spektrum AR630 and I'm super pleased with the high quality lessons/tutorials on it from Spektrum and Horizon Hobby and others. I don't have the Aura working yet. The spektrum is halfway there and I don't see any reason it isn't going to work for me.

BTW the AR630 costs I dunno like 50% more than the Aura, but for the Aura to work with my radio I had to go ahead and buy a different receiver, so the price came out about the same. If you use a Spektrum radio, consider this receiver/stabilizer.

bisco

Elite member
i have a dx6, sport cub, umx turbo timber and aeroscout. i love the spectrum products. i bought the aura fo 50 bucks based on someones advice, then found out i had to buy a 20 dollar rx. so i'm at 70 compared to an all in one spectrum for a hundred.
i think the extra 30 may have been worth it:unsure:

Hello; I think the Aura 5 is a game changer. I'd like to see all the threads in a new forum. Possibly under the "RC Radios, Transmitters and Receivers" forum.
Yeah the Aura needs a dedicated space. Hey FliteTest...
It'll only boost sales. It might get more attention. It'll provide a place to browse to find answers.

i have a dx6, sport cub, umx turbo timber and aeroscout. i love the spectrum products. i bought the aura fo 50 bucks based on someones advice, then found out i had to buy a 20 dollar rx. so i'm at 70 compared to an all in one spectrum for a hundred.
i think the extra 30 may have been worth it:unsure:
Wow that's exactly what I did, but my Rx is $70 + shipping. (Certainly there are other Spektrum options but this one should be all I'll need for a very long time.) Not to trash the Aura, and for many it works great first time. Just that right now I'm loving this Spektrum. The whole thing seems to work the professional way - works the way you would imagine it all SHOULD work.

dap35

Elite member
I have a Spectrum TX/RX that came with my AeroScout. And while I love the way it flys in calm weather and in SAFE mode, I don't care for the ASX behavior. So, I tried the Aura along with a Futaba system and have been really happy with it. I will say that you can also email FlexInnovations support. When I was trying to figure out how to configure drag rudders on my FT Spear, they were incredibly helpful.

I have a Spectrum TX/RX that came with my AeroScout. And while I love the way it flys in calm weather and in SAFE mode, I don't care for the ASX behavior. So, I tried the Aura along with a Futaba system and have been really happy with it. I will say that you can also email FlexInnovations support. When I was trying to figure out how to configure drag rudders on my FT Spear, they were incredibly helpful.
Good, tell us you like the Aura. I don't want to beat it up, not at all.

bisco

Elite member
Wow that's exactly what I did, but my Rx is $70 + shipping. (Certainly there are other Spektrum options but this one should be all I'll need for a very long time.) Not to trash the Aura, and for many it works great first time. Just that right now I'm loving this Spektrum. The whole thing seems to work the professional way - works the way you would imagine it all SHOULD work.
that's what i should have bought. forward programming, no computer needed.

bisco

Elite member
another thing, josh talks about how simple the one page quick start sheet is. i can't understand it at all.
why do i have to watch videos? why no detailed instruction manual?

am i whining? sorry :cool:

Last edited:
another thing, josh talks about how simple the one one page quick start sheet is. i can't understand it at all.
I would have to say a good, thorough manual to read would be good, but a string of clear professionally done videos sure is good too.

I'm completely new to these things, but I can't describe how impressed I am with the video tutorials I've found on that other Rx. Man these guys have made it clear.

I think FT is doing the best they can, trying to offer a one-size-fits-all unit, and they introduced it in videos as fast as they could. Would it seem like backtracking if they made a tutorial of 7 or 8 or 9 short vids? I think they could get away with it.

dap35

Elite member
another thing, josh talks about how simple the one page quick start sheet is. i can't understand it at all.

No, I agree, the documentation is lacking stinks. Video's are helpful for parts of it, but some things just need better, user tested documentation. FWIW, Futaba's documentation is horrible if you aren't already versed in RC... and a lot has changed in my 40 year break.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
It's a joint venture between FT and Flex Innovation. The main documentation and support is through the Flex Web site. The Aura line can work with virtually any radio system and is not a locked down single vendor's TX. The majority of simple setups can be done without the gui with just the buttons and radio sticks.

What problem are you tring to fix?

randyrls

Randy

(Gently) Yes you are, but the details are important and not provided. I did computer systems development and the first time I had to work with a tech writer to document the system I was developing, I was FLOORED! at the difference between their documentation and mine. Theirs was so much better that after that I always requested a tech writer be assigned to any project I was working on. The cost was substantial too!

PS. Playing now with the Spektrum SRXL2 receiver. I can change the parameters in the Aura, but it is "klugy"

<RANT mode>
In the 1930's car manuals told you how to change and set the spark plugs and distributor points. Today's manuals tell you not to drink the liquid in the battery!
</RANT mode>

HELLO Flite Test! I'd REALLY LIKE TO SEE a sub-forum for the Aura board under "RC Radios, Transmitters and Receivers". You are using Xenforo so not really difficult to do.