Low Wing Barron

At our field we fly combat using the Bloody Barron. I really don't like loading batteries in the bottom of planes. I decided to load from the top on the Barron which meant moving the wing to the bottom. We do have a lot of midairs therefore being able to make replacements quickly is necessary. I build ours making straight cuts which makes the builds much faster. Much to my surprise the plane is much more maneuverable with the low wing.

IMG_20180701_2327413_rewind.jpg IMG_20180701_2328326_rewind.jpg IMG_20180701_2329122_rewind.jpg
I install the power pod after installing the firewall. Installing the firewall in the slot has made the firewall much more secure than other methods. I use a powerful enough motor which we use 1500 or 2200 mah batteries. The additional weight of gear is not a factor. Six minutes plus on the 1500. I almost always add gear and steerable tail wheel which makes recovery faster since the plane can taxi back.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Love it! Always wanted to try that. Nicely done sir.

Thanks to Flitetest for making their plans available to all of us. I put these together as inexpensively as I can. Little tips shared on the site helps. I cut the control horns out of credit cards. There always seems to be control rods long enough left over from other builds. The wheels have been given to me by members. I have found that to make these last longer I need to put reinforcement across the fuse in the wings. The simple cheap fix is to glue a tongue depressed across the wing.

These are so much fun to fly that I have built over 10 different planes for members of the Denver Eagles. Fun to see Barrons, Wonders and this low wing flying in a big fur ball. Only problem with each improved design is that most want the latest. We are fortunate that we have a multiple National Combat Champion Tom Neff as a member of our club. I keep mine on the ground when he flies and just watch the carnage.

If you haven't done any combat, give it a try. It is a lot of fun and really improves your flying skills.
I'll post a short video.

Gazoo

At our field we fly combat using the Bloody Barron. I really don't like loading batteries in the bottom of planes. I decided to load from the top on the Barron which meant moving the wing to the bottom. We do have a lot of midairs therefore being able to make replacements quickly is necessary. I build ours making straight cuts which makes the builds much faster. Much to my surprise the plane is much more maneuverable with the low wing.

View attachment 109856 View attachment 109857 View attachment 109858
I install the power pod after installing the firewall. Installing the firewall in the slot has made the firewall much more secure than other methods. I use a powerful enough motor which we use 1500 or 2200 mah batteries. The additional weight of gear is not a factor. Six minutes plus on the 1500. I almost always add gear and steerable tail wheel which makes recovery faster since the plane can taxi back.

Hey Cigar Mike. I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. Looks like you Baron has some "experience". I got somewhat through a Baron build and sort of lost interest until I saw what you have done. Now, I'm inspired!

1. Did you make a cutout in the wing for the fuse or did you cut a profile in the fuse for the wing?
2. Is the rudder specifically for the steerable tail wheel or do you use it in combat?
3. How do you usually mount the tail wheel?

I have the wing built and the rest of the pieces cut out already. I just never got around to finishing it. I'm pretty excited about it now though.

1. I was lazy and cut the wing. This left a gap between the wing and the battery compartment. I glue a piece plywood to the wing so that I have something to screw the gear to on that side of the wing. It would be stronger doing it the other way. My method, I have come to find out requires more structure. I glued a large tongue depressed on the bottom across the fuse. I will install inside the wing on future builds. They usually don't last long. Midairs and crashes give them a short life.

2. The rudder is functional. Since I have main gear it just made sense to make it steerable. It is nice to taxi it. Even though they only use three or four feet to land.

3. I cut a small hole in the elevator for the wire to go through to the rudder. I bend a wire and glue it to the bottom of the rudder. I glue a piece of wood (paint stick) with a hole in it and then place a wheel collar against the wood so no weight is put on the rudder.

There is room for improvement. Two sheets of foam board makes the next one a little better. What's fun is that the planes I have made for others get modified. I learn from what they do to theirs. I have been very happy with the Turngy D2836/8 1100kv motor. I get them at Hobby King for about $13. It has plenty of power and provides good flight times.
IMG_20180705_1916275_rewind.jpg
IMG_20180705_1917281_rewind.jpg

This is a different plane then the first pics in this thread. I did use a servo for each aileron. I think the plane flies better this way. I also put each one on a separate channel.

Last edited:

Gazoo

Ahhh... OK. I could not wait to get crackin' on it. Here is what I have so far.

There is no rudder cut in. I think it will fly OK without it. I cut the bottom of the fuselage in profile by placing the wing on the table and tracing the profile on a piece of foam. Then I transferred it over to the fuselage. This was not easy as the bottom of the fuse is rounded. I had to get tricky with a bubble level.
1.JPG

I made a cutout in the top to put the battery in. The top plate should have some sort of canopy but I haven't figured it out yet. I also plugged up the back with a plate.
2.JPG

I shortened the power pod to butt up against the wing. The full pod would not fit.
3.JPG

I used the existing hole in the wing from the plans to mount the servo on the bottom of the wing.
4.JPG

I like what you did with the tail wheel. Not sure what I'm going to do with no rudder. I'll figure it out.
I want to make the landing gear from aluminum like you did too.

Thanks for the pictures and advice. I appreciate it.

Gazoo

Ahhh... OK. I could not wait to get crackin' on it. Here is what I have so far.

There is no rudder cut in. I think it will fly OK without it. I cut the bottom of the fuselage in profile by placing the wing on the table and tracing the profile on a piece of foam. Then I transferred it over to the fuselage. This was not easy as the bottom of the fuse is rounded. I had to get tricky with a bubble level.
View attachment 110097

I made a cutout in the top to put the battery in. The top plate should have some sort of canopy but I haven't figured it out yet. I also plugged up the back with a plate.
View attachment 110098

I shortened the power pod to butt up against the wing. The full pod would not fit.
View attachment 110099

I used the existing hole in the wing from the plans to mount the servo on the bottom of the wing.
View attachment 110100

I like what you did with the tail wheel. Not sure what I'm going to do with no rudder. I'll figure it out.
I want to make the landing gear from aluminum like you did too.

Thanks for the pictures and advice. I appreciate it.

Gazoo
That looks great. Very nice job. The wing will be stronger the way you did it. The plane is a very good yank and bank. I suggest you maiden it on low throws. It will fly well on that motor. But the one I mentioned makes it really move with a 9-6 prop.

You are welcome. Let me know how you like it.

I did forget to mention that I don't have curved lines or cuts on mine. The bottom and top are parallel to each other until it tapers to the rear. It makes the connection to the wing simple.

Gazoo

Looks like mine is finished...mostly. I cobbled together a canopy that is quite ugly. Might redo that one. Also, I didn't fully think through the landing gear attachment. Ignore the gobbledygook on the bottom.

I kind of like the "tailwheel". Its more like a "mid-wheel" or something. It taxis around pretty well.
10.JPG

20.JPG

30.JPG

The "mid-wheel"(?) linkage
40.JPG

Gazoo

I flew it yesterday. It was insane. Of course, I did not use any expo as usual. I have to say that this one is beyond my skill level, although, wicked maneuverable. Also, very fast with the C-Pack and 9X6 prop w/2100mAh 3S.

I was able to keep it in the air and trim it out. Maybe 5 minutes. Just leaning on the stick made it roll violently. I got it back on the ground but the gear did not hold (not surprisingly) and smoked the underbelly servo and linkages.

I gave it a try though. I flew combat with myself and somehow lost anyway:)

TrentChristner

Trentthecatt

View attachment 109856 View attachment 109857 View attachment 109858

I did this lately in my attempt to make it into a bipe. It worked great, except it makes the power pod a very tight fit, borderline too tight.

TrooperCooper

1. I was lazy and cut the wing. This left a gap between the wing and the battery compartment. I glue a piece plywood to the wing so that I have something to screw the gear to on that side of the wing. It would be stronger doing it the other way. My method, I have come to find out requires more structure. I glued a large tongue depressed on the bottom across the fuse. I will install inside the wing on future builds. They usually don't last long. Midairs and crashes give them a short life.

2. The rudder is functional. Since I have main gear it just made sense to make it steerable. It is nice to taxi it. Even though they only use three or four feet to land.

3. I cut a small hole in the elevator for the wire to go through to the rudder. I bend a wire and glue it to the bottom of the rudder. I glue a piece of wood (paint stick) with a hole in it and then place a wheel collar against the wood so no weight is put on the rudder.

There is room for improvement. Two sheets of foam board makes the next one a little better. What's fun is that the planes I have made for others get modified. I learn from what they do to theirs. I have been very happy with the Turngy D2836/8 1100kv motor. I get them at Hobby King for about $13. It has plenty of power and provides good flight times.
View attachment 110093 View attachment 110094

This is a different plane then the first pics in this thread. I did use a servo for each aileron. I think the plane flies better this way. I also put each one on a separate channel.

Thats how I made my new one... my old one got eaten by a tree... looks sharper too!