Lux FC & S.port telemetry?

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I'm still trying to learn about the FRSky equipment, and planning a build (hopefully, I'll be able to actually build it ;) )

I'm thinking of running an X4R-SB and lux FC. Can I hook the S.port to one of the FC's uarts (T2) to get telemetry data back to the radio? Does the uart work that way? For me, the critical function is the Vbat, but I also may like the ability to receive other data from the FC. (Honestly, I don't know everything that's available.) I understand the X4R also has an analog voltage plug. Should I just do that and forget about the S.port? Can Ireveive a lowest cell voltage if I go through the FC?

I'm also planning on using an rrosd pro pdb and the analog rssi from the X4R to the rrosd.

Thank you!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can get where you want to go . . . but . . .

You'll loose two of the three available serial ports to do it. The S.Bus channel will go to one of your UARTS (connect to power ground and RX on the Lux), selecting serial RX in the "Ports" page. The SmartPort will be connected to another UART pin (just the Tx pin on the Lux is enough), with the UART configured for Telemetry column set for "SmartPort". Which RX/TX pins is which among the UARTS, I can't tell . . . I can't see the user manual from here, but shouldn't be hard to find it out.

Switch over to the config tab and select RX Serial and S.Bus as the serial provider and the RX should start working. click the option for telemetry on the bottom of that page and your taranis will have new data shortly. (don't forget to hit save).

A bit convoluted, but once you've done it once, it's easy.

French

Thanks, Dan. I came across a YouTube video that showed it. Very easy if you don't mind using a uart.

Here's a tougher question, I assume there's no way to easily send rssi data to the FC, then get that data off the FC to something else (rrosd)?

French

Here's the potential plan to go into a QAV-R 210/TC-R220 (banggood clone). I initially thought about hard wiring a naked X4R-SB to angled pins on the FC, but since there is ample room in the frame behind the stack, I'm thinking that I should mount a XSR in the back and the TX to the bottom of the top frame. The plan would be to have straight pins on the Lux with everything connecting via servo/DuPont connectors (I'd cut down all the wires to just leave a small amount of slack). The FC would hinge on the front side after the M1/M3 and S.Port pins were disconnected. Since the Lux powers off 7-24V, I assume that I would just power it off of the main power lead.

build2.png

I'd love anyone's thoughts or suggestions, since this would be my first full build.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Here's a tougher question, I assume there's no way to easily send rssi data to the FC, then get that data off the FC to something else (rrosd)?

The single wire s-port connection from the x4r to the lux will provide rssi data which the fc will send to an osd. I have two builds, both with lux fc's and x4r's. Both display the rssi data on my osd overlay. I'm using osdoge's in both. Have had it working with a micro minimosd, but 5v power supplied by the lux fc apparently isn't very clean and caused me problems. An lc filter fixed the problem.

The rrosd would be a good option and make for a cleaner build. But to answer your question, getting rssi data is the main reason to connect the s port of the rx to the lux and it works great.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
. . . and that's the only issue I see with the rrosd -- No serial input. It's nice in that it needs almost no setup -- unlike the minim-family OSDs -- but that means it won't rely on a flight controller telling it what to display . . . which also means it CAN'T use anything valuable the controller might have to say :p

S-port RSSI and attitude for artificial horizon are neat things a flight controller can provide to an OSD, but the rrosd won't give you that.

By no means is it junk, but ease-of-setup comes with limitations.

That being said . . . the S.port connection isn't a waste in this build. You should be able to use it to feed battery data back to the radio via telemetry. It's not too hard to setup an audio battery voltage warning as one more cue while you're under the hood.

French

Thanks, guys.

That being said . . . the S.port connection isn't a waste in this build. You should be able to use it to feed battery data back to the radio via telemetry. It's not too hard to setup an audio battery voltage warning as one more cue while you're under the hood.

This is exactly the reason I want to use the s.port

As seen above, I'll probably just run the analog RSSI out from the tiny pad on the X4R (now considering an XSR too) directly to the rrosd. I'd run a micro MinimOSD, but I like the ability of having a third uart for a blackbox or something else.

MototechRyan

Wannabe Jedi
Scratch my statement that the rrosd will work for what your trying to do French. I've only used the osd's running mwosd software. Hence didn't know the rrosd doesn't have rx/tx to the fc. I defer to Dan on that one;)

I've stayed away from the rrosd for I don't care for the huge solder pads that the esc's power wires connect to. Having amp draw readings is nice but I prefer the cleaner more direct one wire to one dedicated pad soldering for esc power wires. That and you don't get individual esc amp draw readings.

Another plus of running a lux with a mwosd is the lux provides battery voltage readings to the osd. The only reason I bother with an osd is to get rssi and battery voltage overlay and the lux fc with a mwosd makes that really easy to do with a clean layout :)