Mac, Windows or Linux?

Mac, Windows, or Linux?

• Total voters

mjmccarron

I actually use all three. My primary home systems are Mac. My servers are Linux and my work computer is a dual boot PC with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I have no strong feelings one way or another and look at each machine as just that. A machine with a purpose. The reason I use Mac at home though is this. Six years ago a friend gave me a broken computer. It was an odd looking thing about half the size of a box of Cheereo's. It was a Mac Mini. He said that if I could fix it I could have it. I repaired the power plug that had come loose and there I had it, a Mac. Meanwhile, our windows computer, used by my school age kids was needing attention about every 30 days. They would pick up viruses, install garbage via malware etc. Like clockwork every 30 days one of them would come to me and say "Dad, the computer is jacked up". I fixed the Mac just as one of these cycles came up so I installed MS Office for them on the Mac and there they had it. I have not had to untangle the kid's computer since. It just works. As far as software goes, I have only found a few programs that don't have a mac version and for that I have installed VM Ware and Windows XP. I'm very happy with the Macs and I think that the quality and consistency offsets the price. Especially that first one. Can't beat free.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I have 2 Macs:
Macbook Pro 256gb 8gb RAM -- 2013
Macintosh Plus 1mb -- 1996

The old mac plus is actually a 128k/512k (unknown) with the "plus" upgrade to 1mb of RAM which was sold to 512k and 128k owners who wanted more RAM for their systems. Before you ask, nope. Sadly it isn't (fully) operational. The floppy drive is malfunctioning in a very odd yet specific way: When reading 800k and 400k, both lower and upper heads work properly. When writing to 400k, both he work properly as well. But, when writing to 800k disks, the lower write head does not work and corrupts the disk. (800k uses both heads, while 400k uses just the top heads) I also have an Apple ImageWriter II that I found at a Goodwill (I love those stores). It works as well, but the ribbon is pretty dry but it still prints its test page in all of its ASCII glory. For those of you who might be interested, the Apple ImageWriter II I can actually work as a fully functional color printer when using an appropriate ribbon. I don't have any other old accessories unless an original gameboy counts. :p

Here is a photo that matches my setup pretty well (although my Plus doesn't work)
3261822582_488d688ea4_b.jpg

Happy Christmas!

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Let's be honest most folks don't really need a PC.
What things do you do on your PC that you couldn't do on an iPad?

Dare I say that for many of us it's just an accessory and not really a tool?

PC.jpg
Mac.jpg

robots.jpg

It's all good,
PCH

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Excellent point. I agree most home computers and laptops go underutilised in what they are actually capable of doing.

I see teens whining about not having the latest iPhone only for bragging rights. I have a family so while I do have an iMac for the many thing I can and do use it for, my TracFone works just fine for... wait for it.... making calls. Currently I have over 200 days on my last purchase of minutes and over 100 minutes that will likely last me until close to Spring. Most of the kids just use their iPhone's for gaming and FB which I think they could also do via an iPod touch for much less and no contract. I say, once you go to work all that money you used to get from Mommy and Daddy now takes on a whole new meaning. Time to grow up jr.��

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
That sounds closed to me, especially when compared to other operating systems that work on a wide range of hardware.

You got me wrong there. It's the software that doesn't run on other hardware, so that is closed. The hardware can run Windows and Linux too, so it is just as open as a PC.

That sounds like a reason for the system to be less expensive than a comparable Windows system due to lower development and support costs. Yet, they charge more. Why?

I think I paid 15 Euros each for my first few major OSX installations and the last two(?) versions were completely free. If I remember correctly an Update to Windows 8.1 was around 90 Euros for my dad lately.

Yes, the hardware is more expensive and of course you pay an "Apple bonus", but I really like the quality. I had a few broken hinges, etc. on Laptops before, but perhaps I just take better care of my Macbook because it's so expensive :). Also I've looked into other aluminium case (PC) laptops and they weren't that much cheaper.

But yes, this was not a Apple vs. PC discussion. So let's stop comparing :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Excellent point. I agree most home computers and laptops go underutilised in what they are actually capable of doing.

We used the processing power (and a lot less memory) of two C64 to go to the moon in 1969. Today I have a 2,5 GHz Quad-Core Prozessor in a pocket to call my parents.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I love the open source mind-set, so Linux is my OS of choice. When I have to, I run Windows in VirtualBox on my main machine. I also have a couple of dual-boot (Linux/Windows7) machines for gaming and resource intensive, Window-only applications.

I think of FT and scratch-building as open source RC, and that's one of the reasons I'm so addicted to it. It is extremely community-centric, and I believe that is its greatest attribute. The best ideas on the FT website have come from the community. I am also primarily interested in transmitters that support the open source mind-set (9X, 9XR, 9XR Pro and Taranis). Again, because of the community, we have firmware like Er9x and OpenTX.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I love the open source mind-set, so Linux is my OS of choice. When I have to, I run Windows in VirtualBox on my main machine. I also have a couple of dual-boot (Linux/Windows7) machines for gaming and resource intensive, Window-only applications.

I think of FT and scratch-building as open source RC, and that's one of the reasons I'm so addicted to it. It is extremely community-centric, and I believe that is it's greatest attribute. The best ideas on the FT website have come from the community. I am also primarily interested in transmitters that support the open source mind-set (9X, 9XR, 9XR Pro and Taranis). Again, because of the community, we have firmware like Er9x and OpenTX.

I certainly appreciate the ability to personalize and have control over the tools I need and use. I can't speak on Linux having never use it but I don't remeber ever hearing anything negative about it. Windows on the other hand has been a recurring pain whenever I need to do something and it fails to work for me. Surely I'm not saavy enough as some are to manipulate it when it just doesn't work but that is part of the point. My experience havng worked with both has been that the Mac more pften than a Windows machine will just work and more intuitively so.
Unfortunately there are Mac woes though (value comes at a price, reduced software options, time consuming OS debates).
Still, for me, the juice is worth the squeeze.