Macross VF-4 Lightning III 64mm EDF Build/Project

Sheriff

I am a bit concerned that most of the lateral surface is in front of the center of gravity and it would make your plane instable in the yaw axis.

Good luck with you testing.
Great job on this build, incredible design !

redbarton

This is awesome work, Qwenther! Are you designing this in CAD, on paper, or on the fly as you go? Your foam curving is impressive!

I'm more old school and love Robotech related stuff. However, I admit that I need to invest more time in the greater Macross universe. Check out my Alpha Veritech build in my signature, if you haven't already. I'm ready for a chuck test as well, but the weather won't let up. It's always raining or snowing on my days off. Can't wait to start flying again...

Last edited:

Qwenther

This is awesome work, Qwenther! Are you designing this is CAD, on paper, or on the fly as you go? Your foam curving is impressive!

I'm more old school and love Robotech related stuff. However, I admit that I need to invest more time in the greater Macross universe. Check out my Alpha Veritech build in my signature, if you haven't already. I'm ready for a chuck test as well, but the weather won't let up. It's always raining or snowing on my days off. Can't wait to start flying again...
I was making most of it up on the fly, but I did do some things on paper like the formers. I have checked out you build and it is amazing as well. As one who loves Robotech and has seen Robotech The Shadow Chronicles(the one movie) you have really brought this amazing vehicle to life. I too am really looking forward to some good weather for some flying, all this rain is getting old really fast.

Qwenther

I finally got the chance to test glide this thing and it went mostly as expected. On the first throw it flew alright but it was a little tail heavy, however it did track pretty straight. However, with all the electronics installed, the battery feels like it will compensate for the tail heaviness:unsure:. My second toss SUCKED, because it went straight for the ground, and it was entirely on me:oops:. O well, this was just the chuck model, now to make my planed adjustments and build the Mk.2 this time with electronics. Then pray it flies.:p

Qwenther

I'm back in business, the workshop is back in order, and I've got progress on the Mk. 2. I've completed the engine pods and installed the edfs. I powered them on and them suckers is LOUD! They also have a lot of power. The nice thing is that even with the adjustments I made, this went together a lot faster than the first attempt. The thrust tubes were fun considering I've never put them together before, and I think they turned out rather well.
IMG_20200227_114356705.jpg
IMG_20200227_114405318.jpg

danskis

Master member
I finally got the chance to test glide this thing and it went mostly as expected. On the first throw it flew alright but it was a little tail heavy, however it did track pretty straight. However, with all the electronics installed, the battery feels like it will compensate for the tail heaviness:unsure:. My second toss SUCKED, because it went straight for the ground, and it was entirely on me:oops:. O well, this was just the chuck model, now to make my planed adjustments and build the Mk.2 this time with electronics. Then pray it flies.:p

At Hai Lee's suggestion I just started using a bungee launcher to test fly my new planes. It works great and is much better than hand tossing. You might want to give it a try to save repairs.

Qwenther

My motivation to keep moving forward. I'm loving the changes I made on the spar box, including the plywood reinforcements. I'm majorly in love with the sound of the motors spooling up, it sounds like the real thing and has plenty o power. I'm also thinking of doing differential thrust for a little extra yaw control.
IMG_20200402_182530030.jpg
IMG_20200402_182535647.jpg
IMG_20200402_182539524.jpg
IMG_20200402_182545864.jpg

Tench745

Master member
Looking good!
I've never played with Dual EDFs so anything that follows is just a guess. I'm thinking that since EDFs have a little lag before you get full thust you may find that using differential thrust for extra yaw control is a bit sluggish/sloppy. I'm curious to see how it works though.

Qwenther

I'm back! I've been attempting to get this jet of mine closer to being done, but life's been hectic to a ludicrous degree. But, I've managed to get most of the wing covered and parts of the fuselage reworked. Fine tuning is fun:rolleyes:. I do like how solid the wing feels between the engines. Its amazing what a little reinforcement will do, that and the cover sheets themselves are really strong.
IMG_20200517_190959958.jpg
IMG_20200517_191004521.jpg

Also since parks have been closed up until recently in my area, flying trips have been scarce, that and the weather stinks. O well, build when you can't fly. But I tell ya, with all the lockup, I think I got a little bit o... Cabin Fever!

Who's with me on that?:LOL::p

redbarton

Also since parks have been closed up until recently in my area, flying trips have been scarce, that and the weather stinks. O well, build when you can't fly. But I tell ya, with all the lockup, I think I got a little bit o... Cabin Fever!

Who's with me on that?:LOL::p
It's looking good! I totally understand the cabin fever! I've got a serious case of it too! I need to get back to my planes now.

I've been messing around with my RC crawlers lately since a lot of stuff is closed down around me still.

Qwenther

Still Alive! I'm back. Well I've officially finished the Mk-2, and tested it for power in the backyard. It is very much under powered. I used a 2200mah 3s Lipo for the test. Her glide was fine, but it does not have enough power to remain airborn. When at full throttle, it should be wanting to take my arm with it if I'm holding it straight up. I've considered what I've seen and I'm looking and three thing to remedy this issue. 1.) Try using a 4s battery. but it will add more weight forcing the motors to work harder. 2.) Upgrade to 70mm EDFs, which will require the bigger battery. And 3.) Reduce weight where I can. The fun there is not compromising the structural integrity of the plane and keeping it balanced while doing so. I may need to do all of the above. However this thing is beautiful.
On a different note I found some awesome stuff that helped in doing this things electronics. I found the parts to make me own custom servo extension cables on Amazon. A 900 pcs pack of connectors and 50ft of cable. Very useful!:D:cool:
51GdbSsk65L._AC_.jpg

61ULjw8WC2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg