Mad Racer Build

Brett_N

Well, depending on the weather this weekend, I've got another build lined up :D (and my Eluna won't be delivered until monday anyway)

Just put the finishing touches on the HK ArcticCat last night so that's ready to fly tomorrow. The Big Beech still needs to be cutout but that can go on the side burner.

So, I found some parts in the junk bin last night and think it's time to build a racer.

Flight target - 125+MPH (without the wings falling off)
Airframe : - FT Racer with "Strategic" reinforcement
Radio: 4 channel DSMX but A/E/T only (I think I have an extra AR636 that may get reprogrammed)
Power: 2216 2000kV motor, 60A ESC, 6S batteries

Prop: target 9x6 thin electric (TBD on testing)

I've already mangled one of these airframes (it was never really cut straight) so learned a few little tricks along the way. I'll try and photo document as much as I can.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice.

Which 2216 motor are you using? At first glance it seems like that size, Kv, 6S, and a 9 inch prop are a recipe for smoke. But I suppose it depends on the quality of the motor.

Brett_N

I have a handful of them. Some are DYS, some Sunnysky - both of which I've had good luck with and will handle the voltage. I have some other behemoth that I can try also - I think it's a 2826 or something like that, but much lower KV - 900kV I think - which would also work but need a different prop combo.

Need to plug some numbers into ecalc and see what comes up.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
racer is a large fuselage to be hitting those speed numbers. i think i would try and reduce the size and make it more pylon racer like. save weight, reduce drag, and allow for a smaller motor at higher kv.

good luck,

me :cool:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have a handful of them. Some are DYS, some Sunnysky - both of which I've had good luck with and will handle the voltage. I have some other behemoth that I can try also - I think it's a 2826 or something like that, but much lower KV - 900kV I think - which would also work but need a different prop combo.

Need to plug some numbers into ecalc and see what comes up.

Couldnt easily find either DYS or Sunnysky 2216 2000Kv on a quick Google so no idea what the specs might be. At a minimum I would wattmeter test them starting with a lot smaller prop (say 6 inch) and work your way up. Your speed will be in large part governed by RPM and pitch so you could also consider going smaller on the diameter but larger on pitch.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Brett_N

New flight setup

60A 4S capable ESC
E-Flite BL 15 1260kV motor
APC 8x8E

(guess what THAT came out of LOL)

Wings will be clipped, fuze will be slightly narrowed within reason.

Basically a DTFB'd version E-flite V900 / HK EFX

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
New flight setup

60A 4S capable ESC
E-Flite BL 15 1260kV motor
APC 8x8E

(guess what THAT came out of LOL)

Wings will be clipped, fuze will be slightly narrowed within reason.

Basically a DTFB'd version E-flite V900 / HK EFX

That sounds more like it. Would like to see that power setup in the Gee Bee R3 (currently running 4S, Eflite Power 15 (950Kv) and 9x9 prop).