Made a mistake on my Explorer build

kore99

I'm building an Explorer from tiled paper plans. In the build video they show how to mount the B-pack or C-pack motors, but it looks like the C-pack at that time was an in-runner, and it mounts inside the firewall assembly. So since my modern radial C-pack motor was similar to the B-motor in the video, I mounted mine on the outside of the firewall, and spaced it as described in the video. However, when I mount a 9 inch prop as described in the specs, it's going to strike the tail boom.

So question 1 - I mounted the motor outside the firewall, with the panhead screws inside the firewall. I'm not clear whether I should have used the metal X mounting plate instead. Did I do that right?

2. Should I have positioned the firewall in the pod differently? I'm not convinced that even if I raise the firewall to the very top of the pod that I'll have the required clearance.

Any advice?

PXL_20210422_021213666.jpg PXL_20210422_021236523.jpg

For the motor mount, I always put it on the metal mount for easy removal. And for the prop maybe you van pick a smaller prop or remove where you need clearance and reinforce it with something like a paintstick.

Hope this helps.

kore99

For the motor mount, I always put it on the metal mount for easy removal. And for the prop maybe you van pick a smaller prop or remove where you need clearance and reinforce it with something like a paintstick.

Hope this helps.

Can you explain how using the metal piece makes for easier removal? Do you access from the propeller side and remove the wood screws? I did your method for my simple cub but for the explorer you can access the back of the firewall readily.

Piotrsko

Master member
You may not have enough downthrust. Mine cleared a 10 1/2" prop by a 1/2" with the FT C motor. Any way you install the motor works if it doesn't come loose.

kore99

You may not have enough downthrust. Mine cleared a 10 1/2" prop by a 1/2" with the FT C motor. Any way you install the motor works if it doesn't come loose.

OK, thanks. I used the lines indicated on the plans. I don't see any way for a 10.5 to fit on mine. Maybe I did something very different. In any case, I made a new pod, with 1/2" more clearance, and now it works.

PXL_20210422_155040976.jpg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
OK, thanks. I used the lines indicated on the plans. I don't see any way for a 10.5 to fit on mine. Maybe I did something very different. In any case, I made a new pod, with 1/2" more clearance, and now it works.

View attachment 198821
I had exactly the same result. I rebuilt the power pod and moved the firewall up about 3/8" to clear.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Moving the motor higher should work just fine.
Switching to a smaller 3 blade prop would also work.