nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Well, I finally finished the magnetic building board project. It was like building an airplane and about as expensive and time consuming... Anyway here are some pictures of how it went together, now all I need is some time to build an airplane. I have some remodeling in the house to do first though...

First I started with the 18 gauge sheet metal a customer gave me for free. Measured 60" x 20", then sanded and finished with Rustoleum clear coat. Super flat and super smooth! I also have a section of 1/2" CDX plywood underneath for some extra support, I finished it with Minwax.

IMG_2552.JPG

Then worked on the fixtures that I ordered from Airfield Models http://www.airfieldmodels.com/store/magnetic_fixture_system_2/fixture_sets.htm. I ordered the small/medium set to begin with plus a pair of face clamps http://www.airfieldmodels.com/store/magnetic_fixture_system_2/accessories.htm#Face_Clamps. Also ordered 20 extra magnets, but I may need to get some more as 20 will probably not be enough to build wings with. The other 80 magnets were used up on the fixtures. I used brushing lacquer to finish the wood parts as recommended by Airfield Models. Also, I made some painters pyramids out of wood 2x4's and screws so the parts would dry nicely.

IMG_2554.JPG

Then, after the wood sat for a week or so, I applied furniture wax to all the wood and the black fasteners (cleaned the fasteners of oil first) as recommended by Airfield Models. You will also see in the picture that I ordered a few Bill's fingers and Bill's Thumbs for some extra fixtures that may come in handy for holding small stuff down. Here is a hard to find link to the Bills Fingers and other fixtures that are good for the lighter duty stuff. http://retrorc.us.com/buildingjigsystem.aspx

IMG_2564.JPG

Here is everything mostly done, I only assembled one vertical press for the picture as there are 6 and you don't need to put them on the fixtures until you need to use them. Same with the face clamps, I just hung them on the fixtures for the picture. I also have some 123 blocks to square things up when the time comes. Overall I am very happy and excited about this build system. I can hardly wait to build my Taylocraft 20 for my first balsa build in a long time!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow - that's an excellent looking setup you've put together! I think you are going to love building on the magnetic board - it is so quick and easy to adjust and reposition things.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks guys! I'm having a real hard time putting everything away to work on the house instrad of airplanes. It feels like I have lost a love one...

RCMAN

Very nice! Thanks for all the links, very cool. I have heard of these systems but never tried them or seen one. Nice build information and pictures, this certainly will help me if I decide to invest in such a jig! Nhk, you should get a job at Flight Test, you got some awesome ideas.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Haha, thanks, but I just get my ideas off the internet. I am not sure that FT would want me to work for them, I am a little too expensive...plus they don't have a branch in Washington State.

RCMAN

You have really sparked my interest in this. What kind of steel board and how heavy is that? I saw on the internet some people using Ikea shelfs but yours looks much better.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've been very happy with my 4' metal IKEA shelf - but I think I'm building much smaller models than you're planning for. :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I got the metal for free from a customer and I think it's 10 gauge sheet metal. It measures 20" wide x 60" long x 0.135" thick and weighs 45 lbs. It's perfectly smooth and flat. I plan on building mostly 50-60" wingspans and possibly larger someday. I like having a large building surface, better than to small!

RCMAN

Another dumb question from me. I knoticed you have your building stuff on a portable table, how do you store everything? Or do you store it all? I dont have a lot of space and portablilty is important.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Stores easy

Not a dumb question. My setup stores nicely in a small closet. My table folds up and the build boards can just lean up against the wall in a closet. I got a metal shelf from work to store the magnets on and it works perfectly.

IMG_2592.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Haha, funny Rcman, I don't think my wife would appreciate me building at the campsite...

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I brought my Warhammer 40k minis camping once. Amy and I had an epic battle of Space Marines vs. Eldar in the woods near Cle Elum. Key word. Once.

NiCK_NaMe

How did you attach the steal to the wood nhk? I just got my steal and board today... need some ideas. Thinking epoxy might make it not come out flat?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You dont need to fasten the steel board down. It will stay put with just its own weight! Mine never slips or moves. If you had to fasten it down for some reason, I would just use a couple of clamps. That way you can remove it when needed. You want your build area as versatile and adaptable as possible as you never know what is next. I actually have a hollow core door on top of a solid wood Uline industrial table as I wanted a large building area that was super flat. I really need a solid core door, but for now the hollow is working good.

NiCK_NaMe

Inspiration

Thanks for the inspiration. I just finished my Magnetic Building Board, Still waiting on my jigs. I used galvanized steel (don't want the rust.) it is 20 Gauge, and was cheap. 65 inch x 35 inch I found at a home improvement shop here in Europe. for, $30 (after conversion) I am now going to use my Ikea Magnetic board for a place to hold my Jigs.

Here is a picture.
20170716_201815.jpg

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Nice work station! I like the cutting side too, I wish I had the space to do that, I also like the beer glass, makes me thirsty!

Heres a pic of something you cant do with pins. Im applying verticle and horizontal force to make a perfectly square aileron with magnetic verticle presses, fixtures, and scrap wood. Got to love the magnetic system for perfectection.

IMG_2977.JPG