Magnum Models F5 sloper to Foamboard

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
01_F-5_Tiger_4025.jpg 04_F-5_2795.jpg
First off i am dumping this info here for anybody that has any interest in following my slow progress or wants to do there own. You will not hurt my feelings if you work on this at all or do it before me. Thats why im putting it here so if anybody wants to do this as well. Please share if you do.

I have been building mostly with homedepot insulation foam, but FFW17 got me excited about foamboard again.

Originally i was going to document the parts solely so that i could make replacement parts when the balsa breaks. But than i figured i may as well go ahead and do the entire thing and try and make a super light foamboard version for light wind days and maybe even powered later.

If you are interested in a montage of my build of this EPP kit here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzl_5I-hJCo

Original purchased model from Magnum Models:
http://www.magnumrcmodels.com/F-5-Tiger-F5.htm
View attachment F-5 Tiger Manual.pdf Kit instruction manual

Here are some super early (untested) plans i made up based off these dimensions. Red line is CG. I was going to do basic FT style wing design, but with a much thinner wing. Maybe a wooden dowel across to create it. Wing glues onto sides of fuselage in current pdf's.
View attachment F-5 DTFM Slope.pdf

Here are the pictures i took: (squares are inches)
20161026_073000.jpg 20161026_073004.jpg 20161026_073009.jpg 20161026_073055.jpg 20161026_073059.jpg 20161026_073103.jpg 20161026_073106.jpg 20161026_073113.jpg 20161026_073120.jpg 20161026_073233.jpg 20161026_073321.jpg 20161026_073326.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Cool. I really love the silhouette of this plane. Let me know if you want any pictures/videos or measurements.

Michael9865

Elite member
I think I may have found a project to use my other two 50mm EDF's on.... ;)

:) :D

Mid7night, I like the way you are thinking, I was thinking of a pusher version.

thenated0g, What is your final weighton the F-5?
Subscribed

Last edited:

thenated0g

Mentor
the part i was looking for: "plane handledeverything from 7-10 mph winds up toand including 25 and 30 mph."

His weighed 550g

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
you're using a nihm? not a lipo? maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this choice.

thenated0g

Mentor
you're using a nihm? not a lipo? maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this choice.

Less electronics components (no ubec step up/down stuff), i can use the A1 telemetry that is automatically included on every frsky RX. There is no reason at all to put a lipo in this. A 480mah nihm pack powering 2 micro servos is going to last a couple hours probably.

Heres the one im using:
http://alofthobbies.com/4-8-v-480-mah-1-3-aa-pack-flat.html

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Ah. I read "two 50mm EDFs" in mid7night's post, and started think it was powered. :confused: were good now.

thenated0g

Mentor
No problem. the original is a PSS and i want to make a foamboard sloper out of it, but it would probably make a fast powered plane too.

thenated0g

Mentor
damn. I really suck at modeling. I heard on the podcast you do this for work? I knew if i just sat back somebody would make something way better :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Haha, I'm sure you don't, I've just been at it for almost 20 years now. My plans are probably going to be a bit smaller (shooting for a 24" span), but should still make a nice small sloper, or easily scaled up to a medium-sized one. Actually, a slope ship version would probably like the same fuse & tails, but just a slightly stretched wing, which is even easier. I modeled this from 3-views and another (curvier) 3D model (that I did NOT make), so it's got a scale wingspan.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I tried guys, I really did, but I just couldn't finish in one night. :)

Got all the pieces blocked out though, and dropped the EDF's in to see how they fit.

It's both smaller (span) and bigger (length) than I imagined after modeling it in the computer. Funny how those things work.

Anyway. Bedtime.

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Got the body all done tonight. Servos and EDF's are in, but nothing is hooked up yet, and I need to cut a small hatch in the rear turtle-deck to get to the wires, and maybe put the battery there... sheesh, those wings are TINY! :cool:

Starting to fit the EDF's:
IMG_3447.jpg

Thrust tubes:
IMG_3448.jpg

Wires out the top:
IMG_3449.jpg

Nose slides off:
IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg
IMG_3451.jpg

thenated0g

Mentor
Seriously man, if they don't take one of your edfs for a speed build going to drive to Ohio and slap somebody 😁