Maiden of Modified Versawing & Motor Question

MSevern

Well, I maidened a modified versawing today. It being my first wing, I am definitely hooked! I am running a Turnigy D2826 2200kv motor on a 40A Plush esc and flew with a 2200mah 3s 30c lipo. Got about 13 minutes of flight and had lots of fun, but I am thinking FASTER can only be more exciting!:cool: Any suggestions for a motor upgrade? I'm eyeballing the Turnigy SK3 2836 2500kv(link below) paired with a higher rated ESC...how does that sound to you guys (and maybe gals)?

( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=18117 )

FT Versawing Modified.jpg

MSevern

What size prop are you running?

Jaxx, I think it's a 5x5. (I'd double check but it's in my Jeep awaiting flight in the morning) My speed estimates may be way off, but I doubt I was much over 40-50 on high speed passes. Not sure how to calculate theoretical speed yet.

quorneng

Master member
Before you do anything you really ought to find out how many amps it is actually pulling - Watt meter?
The motor you have is rated for 35A and 405W which if you actually achieved is more than your current ESC could handle.

The simplest solution to more speed would be a bigger ESC and a 4S battery but you will need that Watt meter to check you are not over loading anything.

MSevern

Before you do anything you really ought to find out how many amps it is actually pulling - Watt meter?
The motor you have is rated for 35A and 405W which if you actually achieved is more than your current ESC could handle.

The simplest solution to more speed would be a bigger ESC and a 4S battery but you will need that Watt meter to check you are not over loading anything.

quoreng, I don't know where you are seeing those specs. I'm looking at the Hobbyking website and seeing 34A and 342W for my D2826 2200kv motor. In fact, they even recommend using a 40A ESC.

If I go to a 4S battery, will one with similar specs work or should I bump to 40-50C?

Whether or not I upgrade batter, should I still be using a higher rated ESC?

I don't have a wattmeter now, but I'm realizing that investing in one might be a good idea.

Lastly, is there a popular/recommended web calculator for getting estimates on what will/won't work?