Maidened the Bat Bone Tri-Copter Today

earthsciteach

I've had my first flights with a mulit-rotor today! I will call them successful as the Bat is still in one piece and all of my landings were "safe enough." I certainly would not call the flights graceful, though.

I'm flying with the KK2 board which seems to be doing very well, but I have found an issue that I'm not sure is mechanical or "board" in nature. It seems that a landing with a bit of sideways motion results in either the yaw motor shifting (mechanical) or the board's little brain gets confused. On subsequent flights, the Bat spins in circles, but the self-leveling is still doing its thing. I've recalibrated the sensors and that seemed to take care of it until I landed in the same manner. Then, it was back to spinning in circles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
IS the yaw motor shifting? Re-arming on an angle would set it up thinking the angle was level, but wouldn't account for the yaw going bonkers...it would just drift off to the side.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I use metal gear servo's. I made my last yaw assembly push / pull with 2 control rods. A hard landing snapped the servo arm so back to the drawing board on my new yaw assembly (the control arm portion anyway). Anyone have a source for metal servo arms to fit cheap servo's?

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Are you sure you want to go all metal? might be better to leave a cheap point of failure that's easy to fix...sort of like a fuse.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Are you sure you want to go all metal? might be better to leave a cheap point of failure that's easy to fix...sort of like a fuse.

Thinking metal arm and since it is two ended use string (braided kite line) of a known breaking strength for a pull pull arrangement.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Unfortunately, I've never seen metal servo arms for this size servos. But, if I were looking for one, I would probably start looking at some of the heli stores. They always seem to have the coolest CNC parts...

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It turned out to be much more benign than a stripped servo.

His push/pull rods were slipping.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah, knew it had to be something moving back there. Slipping in the stoppers, I guess?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Did you balance your props? Check the motors for vibrations. Look to make sure you're not shorting any bullet connectors as well.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hmmmm....

Have you messed with any of the settings, or did you do as I told you, and try it with the stock settings first?