Make a Flying V guitar....Fly!

CheckMySix

Well boys, are you up to it? Pawn shops are a great way to find a cheap guitar. They can be pretty heavy but... you made a 10lbs Turkey fly...so... yea :)
Now... really make it interesting like making toast or a smoothie...you gotta play a few notes...in flight.
I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't think you could pull it off. Be a good cross sponsor too with someone like Guitar world.
You have been challenged!

CheckMySix

Yea... I was thinking hollow body but they are really hard to find...especially on the cheap. But..if a 10lbs Turkey can fly...right?
Guess it would have to be a V tail...lol. I'm sure if they hit Peter up he could engineer a way to play a few notes in flight. Even better...into to flying high again by Ozzy and Randy Roads....LOL!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Yea... I was thinking hollow body but they are really hard to find...especially on the cheap. But..if a 10lbs Turkey can fly...right?
Guess it would have to be a V tail...lol. I'm sure if they hit Peter up he could engineer a way to play a few notes in flight. Even better...into to flying high again by Ozzy and Randy Roads....LOL!
Or lenny Kravitz "Fly Away"

As long as the guitar is a chinese knockoff I don't care what it is...

Ihichi Bolls

I could work on that song for you so maybe just a speaker system to cheat it if a proper mechanism cant be made or be light enough to fly. Its on my to do list from back in the day. Already do Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, the intro to Killer of Giants, and some of his work with Sabbath.

Heres a cheap start. could hollow it out for weight with a router. Ill keep pokin around Im sure I have seen cheaper chinese knock off V's before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1WGV7P/?tag=lstir-20

Last edited:

Ihichi Bolls

Not a bad budget find. That is a Randy Rhoads Jackson semi V knock off. Its not a true Flying V but that is the level of guitar I was also seeking.

What do you play on Griff? I have a 1986 Washburn RR11v I bought new in January 1987 after getting out of the Navy just before Christmas 1986. The guitar is Washburn's version of Randy's Jackson. I also have a 2005 BC rich Mockingbird. And my twin bass guitars Bone white Jackson's one a 4 string the other 5.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Not a bad budget find. That is a Randy Rhoads Jackson semi V knock off. Its not a true Flying V but that is the level of guitar I was also seeking.

What do you play on Griff? I have a 1986 Washburn RR11v I bought new in January 1987 after getting out of the Navy just before Christmas 1986. The guitar is Washburn's version of Randy's Jackson. I also have a 2005 BC rich Mockingbird. And my twin bass guitars Bone white Jackson's one a 4 string the other 5.
Nice collection, have you found any cheap flying V's?

I play a Squier Bullet Strat, I got it for my birthday when my parents weren't sure if I was going to stick with guitar, turns out they were right and I didn't play until about 6 months ago. I've picked it up pretty fast I can already play the outro solo to comfortably numb.

Ihichi Bolls

Havent looked more yet. Got scope locked on some Cleatus McFarland videos.. been bingeing like 2 days now to get caught back up.

Back in the day I had a home carved Telecaster. LOVED the tone I got from it. Thats where my hate for Ibanez came to be. One of the wannabe head bangers got hold of a new Ibanez when I was on Nimitz. The only thing it did well was Scorpions leads. Other then that it had no umph. So thin and tinny sounding. Grated on my ears and nerves. dudes attitude compounded the hate.

CheckMySix

My old Ibenez Les Paul body gitter checks in around 8lbs. So, if a 10lbs turkey can fly....:). Would have to likely cut into the body for the wing structure since it would have to be a little beefy with foam board. Maybe bring the wings out more like a B2 stealth. Some sanding on the top for the V tail. Get through that finish on the wood. Man.. talk about tail heavy though if you have the motor/prop at the top of the neck head. What does Josh always say? "Nose heavy planes fly poorly but tail heavy planes fly once." 😋

Last edited:

Ihichi Bolls

been mulling this over.. Nothing in the rules says someone cant pop out a design in foamboard. I dont have the spare finances nor will in the near future to do another project but I am sure someone likes the idea and can run with it.

CheckMySix

Yea... I think if anyone could pull this off it would be Sripol. That kid is a crazy smart engineer.
The CG and weight and balance could be brutal. Have the prop at the top of the neck and them basically a flying wing. Pretty sure there's a reason the B2 doesn't look like that lol. You would have to get so much weight on the nose to counter the body.... brutal.
But...there's always the quad copter option. 😉

OliverW

Legendary member
been mulling this over.. Nothing in the rules says someone cant pop out a design in foamboard. I dont have the spare finances nor will in the near future to do another project but I am sure someone likes the idea and can run with it.
Alex from FT actually made a profile foamboard one that would occasionally appear in vlogs.

CheckMySix

Alex from FT actually made a profile foamboard one that would occasionally appear in vlogs.
Yea but... the add on to the challenge is...playing a few notes in flight. Now, if you can make a foam board gitter and string it...I'll be really impressed...lol. Would love to see and play it. 😋🤣

CheckMySix

Hollow bodies (semi at least) do exist. Bet that dean ain't cheap. I'm gonna keep my eye on the pawn shops. All kinds of crazy stuff shows up in those places.
The BC rich warlock was a cool gitter back in the 80s too. Had one for a while. That would look great in the air. 😋🤣

Attachments

• 77290609b06e5050c7c9261a73607f88.jpg
    77290609b06e5050c7c9261a73607f88.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0

CheckMySix

Probably have to strip off that ancient wah off but... very hollow body!

Attachments

• 3e70768e9393c2f9e77ef204a3aa31f0.jpg
    3e70768e9393c2f9e77ef204a3aa31f0.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hollow bodies (semi at least) do exist. Bet that dean ain't cheap. I'm gonna keep my eye on the pawn shops. All kinds of crazy stuff shows up in those places.
The BC rich warlock was a cool gitter back in the 80s too. Had one for a while. That would look great in the air. 😋🤣

Oh if yer gonna go BC Rich go full on Warbeast hehe

warbeast.jpg