Make community designs thread

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I was just thinking about all the amazing designs that people have made and, sadly, no one can easily find them. even with the search function, because say some wants to build a 4ch WW1 bipe, and someone made a awesome sopwith pup, but someone searches for a sopwith camel and they come up dry, and even though there is a similar plane out there. That person might not be able to build a WW1 bipe.

So I was thinking that a FT should make a new subsection like "Mad (Scratch) Builders Corner" - "Everything Flite Test" -
"Balsa Builders and Breakers" etc. but name it "Community Designs". And devot that area to community designs. In hopes that people can submit a design within certain guidelines and has to have a certain level of quality, provide a video of it flying etc. Then all the unique designs that people have created will be centered in one area and maybe even have subsections within the Community Designs area to break it up into what type of plane it is like - Warbirds, Speed Planes, Jets, Gliders, Biplanes, Sport Planes, Trainers, Multi-engine etc.

And then it will be much easier for people to find all the incredible designs that people have made!
What do you all think?

RMDC

In hopes that people can submit a design within certain guidelines and has to have a certain level of quality, provide a video of it flying etc. Then all the unique designs that people have created will be centered in one area and maybe even have subsections within the Community Designs area to break it up into what type of plane it is like - Warbirds, Speed Planes, Jets, Gliders, Biplanes, Sport Planes, Trainers, Multi-engine etc.

This part in particular makes me think that this idea best fits the Articles section. If articles had categories and tags, which I don't think they do currently, that would make searching them much easier. And since all articles are also added to the forum, forum users could find them readily as well.

Randal Recker

I agree. FT has a great selection of airplanes but I love to see what people have come up with in filling a very specific niche of flying they want to do or flying qualities they want to build for.

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I know of someone working on a larger sopwith, I will update this post when I find the link....

EDIT: My bad, it's not a sopwith, but at least I got the WWI and the biplane part right.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I was just thinking about all the amazing designs that people have made and, sadly, no one can easily find them...
So I was thinking that a FT should make a new subsection... name it "Community Designs". And devote that area to community designs...
...And then it will be much easier for people to find all the incredible designs that people have made!
What do you all think?

I think this is a GREAT idea! In fact, I had FlyingMonkey create a sub forum back in January called XF Plans. The XF is for eXperiemntal Foamboard. The idea being that it would be a home for non official Flite Test releases (i.e. community designed planes). I just got super busy with work and life and haven't had an opportunity to fully develop the concept into a reality, yet. No better time like the present. No need for me to try and do it all by myself either. I will be seeking input on the best way to format and organize the sub forum to make it easy to use for everyone. I'm looking to kick things off tonight, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, can you guys let me know if you can at least navigate to the sub forum (link below):

XF Plans

jpot1

Elite member
I think this is a GREAT idea! In fact, I had FlyingMonkey create a sub forum back in January called XF Plans. The XF is for eXperiemntal Foamboard. The idea being that it would be a home for non official Flite Test releases (i.e. community designed planes). I just got super busy with work and life and haven't had an opportunity to fully develop the concept into a reality, yet. No better time like the present. No need for me to try and do it all by myself either. I will be seeking input on the best way to format and organize the sub forum to make it easy to use for everyone. I'm looking to kick things off tonight, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, can you guys let me know if you can at least navigate to the sub forum (link below):

XF Plans

SPONZ/Grif - great idea! Confirmed I can navigate to the sub forum and see two threads.