Help! Make money with the hobby

Robert S

You can get a job at a local Hobby shop. This will get you several things. 1) You will have income to buy hobby stuff. 2) You most likely will be able to get a discount buying stuff from that store. 3) You will have more exposure to the hobby and all the various options that are out there.

Cheers!
LitterBug

This is, from my own experience, a great idea. I was into racing Mountain Bikes when I was younger but, because I was in college, I didn't have the sort of money to buy the better bike components that I wanted, to pay for the Race fees, and travel required for anything more than a few hours from home.

So I got a second part time job at a bike shop. I got Prorated deals on nice components, I learned from experts how to tune by bike. And to top it off, I met a lot of contacts that I made friends with who some times would split costs of going to events with me. To top it all off, I also got paid! It was a lot of fun. I even met a couple girls.

Got to learn some people skills though.

Robert S

If you are too young to "work," you could always ask if you could volunteer. Sweep and clean up and in return they give you the employee discount. Think of it as an unpaid internship.

I have a 10th Grader, a 8th Grader, and a 6th Grader right now. I wish they were scheming on how they were going to own their own money. Wish you luck.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This is, from my own experience, a great idea. I was into racing Mountain Bikes when I was younger but, because I was in college, I didn't have the sort of money to buy the better bike components that I wanted, to pay for the Race fees, and travel required for anything more than a few hours from home.

So I got a second part time job at a bike shop. I got Prorated deals on nice components, I learned from experts how to tune by bike. And to top it off, I met a lot of contacts that I made friends with who some times would split costs of going to events with me. To top it all off, I also got paid! It was a lot of fun. I even met a couple girls.

YES! YES! YES! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was recommending!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Video of you meeting gurls or it never happened mate.. You know the rulez of tha interwebz :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Psyborg usually says this but I'm gonna say it this time. Don't click the link in the above post. Could be something bad from a hacker, or maybe some virus will install (idk I just know it could be bad). I already reported it.

Robert S

Video of you meeting gurls or it never happened mate.. You know the rulez of tha interwebz :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The girls came as an effect of the after race get together, not as a direct effect of working in a bike shop. 😉

Usually there was so sort of event/ BBQ after a race for trophies, food and camaraderie. Lots a attractive and physically fit women who race mountain bikes. Sometimes groups of us would get changed over, take lots of Motrin, and go for food and libations after the BBQ.

I wish I had pics, those were pre-digital camera days and my shoe box full of pictures was lost in Katrina.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Thanks everyone for your help!! I really like the Idea of volunteering, except that I live in an area where there are no really close hobby shop. is there anyway i could do the same online? like volunteer as customer support, for a discount!
most hobby shops require you to be over 18

Last edited:

Robert S

I don't know of any myself but it's a possibility. My 15yro son had a virtual interview to be a moderator on a software company's gaming website and was "hired." He doesn't get paid but instead gets to be a early release beta tester, gets deep discounts on software, and some free swag every now and then.

There might be some opertunities like that in the R/C community somewhere online.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I hope there are, though I do not know where to find them.

Look at ANY company you think you can bring something to the table to bargain with and Email them. Give a well written address how you could mutually benefit each other and see what happens. Some wont even respond, others may get back with encouragement and an apology, still others may decline but send you some sort of swag for your efforts, others may even return with more inquiries or form of dialog to see what you are about and if you could potentially fill a position real or just made to see what you can do.

Keep in mind you would need to customize that initial writing to each company and NOT copy paste and mass email to be effective. The more specific you can be the more attention you will gain over many others trying to do the same thing.

Proof read and Spell check spell check spell check and have someone else proof read and do the same. Fastest way to the garbage bin is poor spelling and grammar.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Look at ANY company you think you can bring something to the table to bargain with and Email them. Give a well written address how you could mutually benefit each other and see what happens. Some wont even respond, others may get back with encouragement and an apology, still others may decline but send you some sort of swag for your efforts, others may even return with more inquiries or form of dialog to see what you are about and if you could potentially fill a position real or just made to see what you can do.

Keep in mind you would need to customize that initial writing to each company and NOT copy paste and mass email to be effective. The more specific you can be the more attention you will gain over many others trying to do the same thing.

Proof read and Spell check spell check spell check and have someone else proof read and do the same. Fastest way to the garbage bin is poor spelling and grammar.
I really want to join flitetest, because I know somethign about getting started especially in rc planes. But what is their email? they only put out their customer support email, and so I do not know how to contact them for that

Should I contact them through the forums?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I really want to join flitetest, because I know somethign about getting started especially in rc planes. But what is their email? they only put out their customer support email, and so I do not know how to contact them for that

Should I contact them through the forums?

Realistically (not impossible) but I believe FT is looking for full time employees legally able to work full time. That said.. FT core team rarely shows up here as this is not actually run by FT it is sanctioned as their official forum but not actually part of Flight Test. The standard way for us here to get a hold of them is either Facebook, their individual Instagram pages or @Ftsupport. FT support responds pretty quickly last I had to use it as long as you are polite they will treat you properly and much better then any other company I have ever had to deal with.

Flite Risk

if you are teaching a person to build that is hardly flying especially if you never leave the building while instructing.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Ok. so I do not have social media, so what should I do?

Have you talked to your parents or other adults in your life and asked their advice for how you could get a job/career? I would hope that they would be able to help you better then us here on the forums, given that they are more aware of your specific life situations that would effect your ability to get a job/career started. Also given your apparent age, I wouldn't want to be asking you nor do I think your parents would want you sharing the types of info that I am thinking about.