Maker Foam

Sero

Elite member
It's still very fresh! None of us (or very few) have experience with it, only time will tell how it performs in all aspects of use. That being said I'm sure the FT guys have put it through its paces.

wrangler90

I just posted these questions in the Flite Test customer support:

Good Morning,

Can I use the new Maker Foam as a direct substitute to Adams Ready board or the Flite Test Water Resistant Adams Ready Board? Will it change the flight characteristics? Or the build techniques that are required in the master build in the molding or forming? Is it stronger for crash purposes than the other two foam boards listed above?

I'll post their response when I receive it.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I just posted these questions in the Flite Test customer support:

Good Morning,

Can I use the new Maker Foam as a direct substitute to Adams Ready board or the Flite Test Water Resistant Adams Ready Board? Will it change the flight characteristics? Or the build techniques that are required in the master build in the molding or forming? Is it stronger for crash purposes than the other two foam boards listed above?

I'll post their response when I receive it.

It's almost exactly the same weight as the brown stuff. Build and flight characteristics will be almost identical. The major difference is...big surprise...it's white. The composition of the foam is slightly different, but you will not notice that when working with it. The quality (mostly flatness) of the sheets is supposedly improved as well. I've only worked with one box of prototype maker foam so far, but I really like it.

Please share any response you get from the FT crew.

FTcello1869

It's almost exactly the same weight as the brown stuff. Build and flight characteristics will be almost identical. The major difference is...big surprise...it's white. The composition of the foam is slightly different, but you will not notice that when working with it. The quality (mostly flatness) of the sheets is supposedly improved as well. I've only worked with one box of prototype maker foam so far, but I really like it.

Please share any response you get from the FT crew.
Bought some, weighed it - it is 5 grams heavier per sheet.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I just picked up some of the thick stuff.

I'll post a review of it shortly...
20191217_175315.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
...they are pricing themselves out of their niche...

I don't disagree, the price does seem steep but it's also supply and demand. This foam is a niche within a niche.

To be fair, the sheets are larger. (30x40)
Sure, dollar tree foam is stupid cheap, $1 a sheet, but the dollar store foam isnt the quality of the FT waterproof board.

I'd compare the regular FT foam I've had in the past to the heavier wal-mart stuff quality wise, and the FT foam is much more well suited for flying at about 1/3rd less weight. That heavy poster board is $3 to $4 a sheet about anywhere. That puts it right on par price wise with the new thick maker foam per sq inch.

In past custom builds I've used the heavy poster board in places where I've needed additional strength. I'm hoping, for me, that this new maker foam does that same job with less weight, but that is still TBD...

Working on a build to test it right now, will have some pics up soon...

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
i really want to get some of the thick stuff but $120 for 15 sheets of foam! no way. not sure what FT is thinking. they are pricing themselves out of their niche.

just my $.02,

me :cool:
I don’t think you noticed that those 15 sheets are doubled so think 30 and twice as thick.
Anyway, I’ve never thought of foam board as a permanent change to building myself, just a good stepping stone.

Sero

Elite member
I don’t think you noticed that those 15 sheets are doubled so think 30 and twice as thick.
Anyway, I’ve never thought of foam board as a permanent change to building myself, just a good stepping stone.
Yes the volume of the 15 thick sheets is the same as 60 sheets of regular thickness 20x30 FB. Since 50 sheets of 20x30 was priced at $100 the thick is comparably priced.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member

i am well aware that they are 2x as thick, why else would they have it?

even with that though, $120 plus at least $15 for shipping is insane. i can buy DTFB for half that price. the whole idea behind the FT FB plan was to make flight as cheap and easy as possible. if you look at the cost of the new master series P-38 you are looking @ a $200 airplane that you still have to build and paint, and is made from (lets be honest) material that isn't going to last long. no way am i spending that kind of money and time for a FB airplane that no matter how careful i am, is going to start to sag, bend, and just wear out. sorry FT, but you need to get your focus back to what made you great to begin with, cheap and easy.

@Rasterize and myself are going to be building a 250% Cub and i would LOVE to use the new makerfoam but for the cost we will be using DTFB and gluing pieces together instead.

just my $.02 again,

me :cool: