Making my own foamboard

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Do you have a unit weight on these? I'm curious to see. Also is the Wheat board water sensitive like DTFB?

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Do you have a unit weight on these? I'm curious to see. Also is the Wheat board water sensitive like DTFB?

Hey, unfortunatly i don't have an scale, can't compare it with DTFB. but does not see to much heavy. But is hard to say. Guess that someone sholud test it for me, it is a simple experiment to replicate.
Don't know about water sensitive, did´t test it yet. will try and see what happends. :unsure:

You should try it. ;)

FoamyDM

When I do...it will be because I plan to make a 300% scale P-38 master series using 1/2 Styrofoam sheets and a paper covering method like this. The elmers glue method is enticing because of water proofing end result.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
When I do...it will be because I plan to make a 300% scale P-38 master series using 1/2 Styrofoam sheets and a paper covering method like this. The elmers glue method is enticing because of water proofing end result.
Oh yes, sounds great.... a 300% scale p-38 looks like a super proyect... The wheatboard is just a fun experiment for someone like me who does not have access to regular materials, if you want to keep ypur plane for a long time, use real glue like Elmers for that ;)

FoamyDM

I do want you to know, I love this thread and what you've brought forth. Thank you.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Oh,,, thanks for your kind words. I'm just trying to follow the spirit of FT: Test, Flight and Share. :cool:
Unfortunately I don't have the tools to complete the experiments, but many of you do. It would be incredible to see someone else performing the same experiments and trying to go further.
It would also be good if someone could weigh and compare with the DTFB.
:D

cdfigueredo

Elite member
First wheatboard scratch-built... :cool:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
thank you all.
I have to say that wheatboard is a little heavier than DTFB. I really need a scale at home :mad::mad::mad:. I'm having trouble balancing the plane, I still have to place the landing gear and do some more tests.
I hope it works.

Bricks

Master member
thank you all.
I have to say that wheatboard is a little heavier than DTFB. I really need a scale at home :mad::mad::mad:. I'm having trouble balancing the plane, I still have to place the landing gear and do some more tests.
I hope it works.

I know you may not want to do this but instead of adding weight add to your firewall and move the motor farther forward to help with CG especially since your wheat board is a little heavier. Looks really good hope it works out for you, you have put a lot into this project. Your next project might want to consider putting a little longer nose on your desighns to help with the extra weight, light always flies better when possible..

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I know you may not want to do this but instead of adding weight add to your firewall and move the motor farther forward to help with CG especially since your wheat board is a little heavier. Looks really good hope it works out for you, you have put a lot into this project. Your next project might want to consider putting a little longer nose on your desighns to help with the extra weight, light always flies better when possible..

Thank you very much for the advice. For now I only have 2200mAh and 800mAh batteries. With the 800mAh I can't get the balance right, and with the 2200mAh I don't think I can put the landing gear. I'll try to find the best way. Maybe moving the engine forward might help.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
2200 mAh 3s battery, motor placed in the original place, not moved forward and the scout is perfectly balanced.
Looks a bit heavy, but need to wait till maiden.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 0