Making my plane damage/crash resistant

FlyRC

Hello, I have the freewing f22 and I need some tips on how to fly EDF's and/or give me some tips on where to put carbon fiber rods to help toughen up the nose a bit. It's my first jet and I'm pretty scared to maiden, so thanks to anyone who can help!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Your requirement is a difficult one and the subject of thousands of inquiries. If you STRENGTHEN the nose this normally adds weight. Extra weight normally means that the plane flys and crashes faster. More weight plus more speed means much more damage.

Another item of consideration is that if you reinforce the nose and make it indestructible then the ENERGY of the plane hitting the ground at speed must be dissipated elsewhere. This could mean that instead of a nose repair you may find the plane fuselage is bent in half or the nose has been driven backwards into the fuselage.

The ideal method of damage reduction, (apart from not crashing), is to reduce the weight of the aircraft and the flying, (impact), speed.

Perhaps you should consider making the nose sacrificial and make a number of spares.

FlyRC

Your requirement is a difficult one and the subject of thousands of inquiries. If you STRENGTHEN the nose this normally adds weight. Extra weight normally means that the plane flys and crashes faster. More weight plus more speed means much more damage.

Another item of consideration is that if you reinforce the nose and make it indestructible then the ENERGY of the plane hitting the ground at speed must be dissipated elsewhere. This could mean that instead of a nose repair you may find the plane fuselage is bent in half or the nose has been driven backwards into the fuselage.

The ideal method of damage reduction, (apart from not crashing), is to reduce the weight of the aircraft and the flying, (impact), speed.

Perhaps you should consider making the nose sacrificial and make a number of spares.

I am using carbon fiber rods, 2 about 8 inches long and one about 5, carbon fiber is pretty light but wil it still make it too heavy to fly?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Extra weight will just mean that it must travel faster to fly. It will still fly as long as the balance is correct.

As for CF rods. From experience during an impact there is a great possibility that the CF rods could either splinter and cut into the plane or be driven backwards and transfer the damage further back into the fuselage.