Help! Making plane templates

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if this is what you are asking. I make my templates from foamboard, I start with FT plans, then cut out the foam and modify them to suite my needs. I find foamboard templates are easier to modify than posterboard. If I need to make the nose longer, its easy to just add in a bit for foam to the template. Some of my templates look a bit ugly after the mods.

Last edited:
Hi Mikey. If you're not flying yet, a good start would be to gather the electronics needed and get one of the basic FliteTest foamboard kits. Assemble it and get it in the air. You'll learn a lot about why things are the way they are.

And without the electronics you can make the most killer gliders. If you can't get them to glide right then you'll have to change the design.
Check this:

Outofround

I understand that Flite Test is working on getting the plans out. To be honest, precut kits would be very marketable for the entry level market. I work with youths of varied ages and I could certainly be interested in purchasing some precut. When working with kids, you need to keep them working toward a goal that is not too far sighted time wise... They can easily vision the end result and will more likely retain their attention span. (Oh, my mistake - kids have no problem with attention span...)
Will wait to see the plans and see if they are financially marketable. John is an excellent addition to the Flite Test group and his work very much speaks for itself.

Fidget

@Mikey-101234, this is what I do.
Plans for most FT planes are here: Sponz Plans Index. Dan Sponholz draws them up from the original FT laser cut file and posts them there. Sometimes he's a few weeks behind the original release date, but they always show up.

I either print them at Staples, or at home. At Staples you can use Dan's "full size" plans and print them on big sheets of paper. You want to order blueprints or engineering drawings. Much cheaper than printing a poster. At home you can print the "tiled" plans and tape them together.

If I plan to build the plane more than once, I use 3M Super 77 spray glue and stick the plans to posterboard. Then cut that out, and you can trace around it onto foam board. I poke little holes along the lines that aren't the outside edge, then connect them with a ruler.

If you just want to use it once, you can stick the printed plans directly to foamboard. Either use Super 77 and follow it's instructions for a temporary bond, or use a more temporary spray glue, or glue sticks..