Making Power Pods "pretty"

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Look, I already know that flying real Planes is likely going to be a Hindrance, learning to fly RC. I've now heard that from 10 People.
If I let all the Negative Reinforcement and Doubting Comments get to me....
I would have DUMPED the whole thing a week ago! :mad::confused:
PMR (PoorManRC, henceforth known as PMR, or VFW, either one works for the commenter ;) :ROFLMAO:). You've been around the block. Advice one does not wish to hear is not negative reinforcement. The same advice from TEN different people might just mean it is pertinent to your situation.

No one is trying to discourage you from learning to fly RC. All they are saying (is give peace a chance - no sorry, that's a song.) All they are saying is that you are more than welcome to spend as much time, money and effort on your first plane as you want. But you ARE going to trash it.

They are suggesting that you spend little time, money and effort on simpler planes and learn to fly RC. After you've learned, and they are trash, THEN throw everything into something that makes you proud.

Personally, I'm not much of a modeller, but I am a perfectionist. I learned early on my first build that I just don't have the skills the yet to be proficient in this hobby. I'm gonna have to work up to them. Then I can perfect.

You've embarked on a journey where the first many steps are all uphill. All of them. It's a journey. Back up a bit. When everyone says you have to walk across that rope bridge and you say, "NO! I'm going to run across it!" You can still run across it. But you'll probably wish you had walked.

Back up, brother. Look at the bridge and learn how it works. Walk it from both sides a few times. Maybe later you'll be able to run across it.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Regardless of you approach to learning to fly RD aircraft there is one thing to remember. ONLY YOU CAN CAUSE YOU TO GIVE UP OR QUIT.

Being a Vet I assume that stubborn streak which they feed us at bootcamp is now so ingrained that you will suffer from it for life! So be determined to do your own thing your own way and in your own time. Listen to all advice and then select that you wish to heed and discard the rest!

You will learn to build and fly your own way! It is a journey and at times it can be quite difficult but then nothing worthwhile is very easy!

Keep at it and fly regardless of others!

and always - HAVE FUN!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Regardless of you approach to learning to fly RD aircraft there is one thing to remember. ONLY YOU CAN CAUSE YOU TO GIVE UP OR QUIT.

Being a Vet I assume that stubborn streak which they feed us at bootcamp is now so ingrained that you will suffer from it for life! So be determined to do your own thing your own way and in your own time. Listen to all advice and then select that you wish to heed and discard the rest!

You will learn to build and fly your own way! It is a journey and at times it can be quite difficult but then nothing worthwhile is very easy!

Keep at it and fly regardless of others!

and always - HAVE FUN!
Hai-Lee. I love you man. So many of your posts have been inspirational and informative to me. I've go to call you out, though. This is useless drivel.

They didn't "feed us" a stubborn streak at boot. We were at boot because we were idealistic, hard headed and patriotic. Basic Training (named differently for the different services) simply reinforces that and builds upon it. There are the "lost" who probably benefit the most from the training. For the majority of us, we already had it. It was just reinforced with confidence and military skills.

We don't "suffer" from being stubborn! It's got us through some pretty hard times, and we are stubborn because it works and that is who we are.
Plus, where does the "us" come in? You are not a Vet. Do Not Do That. DO NOT DO THAT. :mad::mad::mad:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hai-Lee. I love you man. So many of your posts have been inspirational and informative to me. I've go to call you out, though. This is useless drivel.

They didn't "feed us" a stubborn streak at boot. We were at boot because we were idealistic, hard headed and patriotic. Basic Training (named differently for the different services) simply reinforces that and builds upon it. There are the "lost" who probably benefit the most from the training. For the majority of us, we already had it. It was just reinforced with confidence and military skills.

We don't "suffer" from being stubborn! It's got us through some pretty hard times, and we are stubborn because it works and that is who we are.
Plus, where does the "us" come in? You are not a Vet. Do Not Do That. DO NOT DO THAT. :mad::mad::mad:
Well differences in training obviously. We are told to fight regardless of the situation and stubbornly stay put regardless of what is happening around us. What I refer to as stubbornness could also be referred to as, "never say die or never quit". As for being patriotic and idealistic I started my service aged 11 and continued through to my adulthood. I was perhaps idealistic and patriotic in my own way but also it was a family tradition of military service going back, uninterrupted, to medieval Europe that was the real motivation.

As for being a Vet in US terms that is true. I served in my countries military honorably and with pride. That I was too young for Vietnam and too old for later conflicts does not diminish what i was taught or my service. Not everyone who serves gets to fight in the front lines! We go where we are ordered to!

Mine was the first generation of my family in a few centuries not to fight. I respect those who have fought and sacrificed much and I support them as I did my family members, where i can. Your anger is accepted and acknowledged.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well differences in training obviously. We are told to fight regardless of the situation and stubbornly stay put regardless of what is happening around us. What I refer to as stubbornness could also be referred to as, "never say die or never quit". As for being patriotic and idealistic I started my service aged 11 and continued through to my adulthood. I was perhaps idealistic and patriotic in my own way but also it was a family tradition of military service going back, uninterrupted, to medieval Europe that was the real motivation.

As for being a Vet in US terms that is true. I served in my countries military honorably and with pride. That I was too young for Vietnam and too old for later conflicts does not diminish what i was taught or my service. Not everyone who serves gets to fight in the front lines! We go where we are ordered to!

Mine was the first generation of my family in a few centuries not to fight. I respect those who have fought and sacrificed much and I support them as I did my family members, where i can. Your anger is accepted and acknowledged.
Thank you for clearing that up. One does not have to fight to be a veteran. One only has so serve. I missed it somewhere where you served. All those men and women all over the world who just SERVE! All of us. All the time. They are the elite of all of every one of us. It would take another word wall just to say what they are doing.

My apologies, Sir. I missed your posts where you mentioned your service. In what capacity did you serve?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank you for clearing that up. One does not have to fight to be a veteran. One only has so serve. I missed it somewhere where you served. All those men and women all over the world who just SERVE! All of us. All the time. They are the elite of all of every one of us. It would take another word wall just to say what they are doing.

My apologies, Sir. I missed your posts where you mentioned your service. In what capacity did you serve?
No need to apologize EVER! It is we, those who put you in harms way that should apologize. As mentioned I had a family of war veterans with some being the famous, "Rats of Tobruk", even combat survivors of Vietnam. I know the physical, mental and emotional damage of the war veterans in my family and witnessed the daily battles with their physical injuries and scars. Regardless of which side they fought on or even if they did not make it to the front I do really Honour their service and sacrifice.

I would fight tomorrow if called to, though now I doubt I would last that long.

Sorry for any offence I caused you but sometimes the slight differences in our English dialects, word choices in particular, do lead to misunderstandings. My biggest upset is the way those who have been damaged because of their service are pushed aside and forgotten by governments worldwide and yet they expect people to volunteer for military service!:mad:. I have 4 sons of my own some with service history and one still too young, (13). So at least the family military vocation goes on!

No Vet EVER needs to apologize to me for anything, EVER! Enjoy you life and your remaining time. All vets everywhere have an adoptive brother in me!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Everyone. I'm sorry. I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I've got to get this straight before I can move forward.

"I served in my countries military honorably and with pride." WAIT. I think I get it. Holy Cow! I get it! You didn't serve in the military, but you served your country dealing with the aftermath of family members who were military. Yes?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Both! I served in the Royal Australian Air Force, though I started as an Army cadet, I also endured the upbringing in a family full of war veterans whose service expectations for me where drummed into me from as early as I can remember. I missed the draft for Vietnam but joined up as a volunteer as soon as I was old enough!

Hope this helps!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Both! I served in the Royal Australian Air Force, though I started as an Army cadet, I also endured the upbringing in a family full of war veterans whose service expectations for me where drummed into me from as early as I can remember. I missed the draft for Vietnam but joined up as a volunteer as soon as I was old enough!

Hope this helps!
It does. In the U.S. there are are persons who represent themselves as veterans, who actually are not. It hurts me very deeply. Missing a war is not bad. The important thing is that you joined and you served.

Why were your posts so obfuscated? If you joined and served, then you did your part. Sorry you didn't get shot, but then neither did I. I'm kind of happy with that last part.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
It does. In the U.S. there are are persons who represent themselves as veterans, who actually are not. It hurts me very deeply. Missing a war is not bad. The important thing is that you joined and you served.

Why were your posts so obfuscated? If you joined and served, then you did your part. Sorry you didn't get shot, but then neither did I. I'm kind of happy with that last part.
My reports are blocked from the end of training onwards. I cannot really divulge exactly what I did and where I did it. My service is up to the government to divulge in detail if they chose to. Until then I am actually still bound by the oath taken under the official secrets act at the end of my service. Especially in a public forum!

Needless to say I served and as with most ex-servicemen I still bear the burden of that service. In my case it effects my employability greatly.

Sorry for any upset I caused in revealing/mentioning my service and any misunderstandings it may have caused!

Have a great day!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here is part of my stubborness. I wanted to fly fixed wing about 4 years ago. I spent a few 100 on a dynam pitts arf because I have always wanted one.

They LOOKED easy enough to fly but I quickly learned dufferent.

Anyway I got into quads and am now starting year 4.

The plane on tbe keft us the pitts I am holding til I can fly. The plane on the right is the edge 540 build I did. Zero decoration... 4 total nose rebuilds so far and waiting tbe 5th now.

I have gotten close to a reasonably flyable set up since I lowered throws and reatranged dual rates to better suit my motor skills.

Build a pretty one for inspiration and as a reward. Build a plain one to bash the bejeebus out of and have the best of both worlds.

20181104_044830.jpg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Here is part of my stubborness. I wanted to fly fixed wing about 4 years ago. I spent a few 100 on a dynam pitts arf because I have always wanted one.

They LOOKED easy enough to fly but I quickly learned dufferent.

Anyway I got into quads and am now starting year 4.

The plane on tbe keft us the pitts I am holding til I can fly. The plane on the right is the edge 540 build I did. Zero decoration... 4 total nose rebuilds so far and waiting tbe 5th now.

I have gotten close to a reasonably flyable set up since I lowered throws and reatranged dual rates to better suit my motor skills.

Build a pretty one for inspiration and as a reward. Build a plain one to bash the bejeebus out of and have the best of both worlds.

View attachment 118081
I also bought a 3D plane early on, (a MXS from Rochobby), and it was touch and go for a while if I would actually fly it. I eventually almost maxed out the expo and reduced the throws and said to myself, I didn't pay that much for an ornament. At the time I was busy building planes that really should not have been allowed to fly but I managed it.

Anyway I just slammed open the throttle and found that it was/is such a sweet natured aircraft with good acceleration and fantastic handling. It actually makes my flying look good.

What I am trying to say is that if you can successfully fly a FB creation without any drama then the retail plane will behave so much better you will be amazed.

Just remember air time rules! Nothing can beat it!

have fun!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The dynam has been in the air twice. The motor and esc for it is residing in the Caudron build I did for ffo17 and the pylon racer chalkenge. That is currently 4 states away taking up Rockyboys hangar space since I sent it home with him.

Been looking at replacements I can save for over winter so it can come out flying in spring.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well I still would make recommendations that you at least try it before spare parts become unavailable. As for the Rochobby it was and is the best model I own for its flying qualities and I must have bought, built, crashed, or given away around 100 models to date.

Get those replacements and give the Hangar Queen a chance to shine!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm ranting. How pathetic does someone have to be to pretend they served in the military when they didn't? Al
My reports are blocked from the end of training onwards. I cannot really divulge exactly what I did and where I did it. My service is up to the government to divulge in detail if they chose to. Until then I am actually still bound by the oath taken under the official secrets act at the end of my service. Especially in a public forum!

Needless to say I served and as with most ex-servicemen I still bear the burden of that service. In my case it effects my employability greatly.

Sorry for any upset I caused in revealing/mentioning my service and any misunderstandings it may have caused!

Have a great day!
OK. That's a whole lot of info from someone who can't divulge info. YOU ARE BULLSHIT! My Freakin' Gosh! I've given you the benefit of the doubt all this time, I've listened to you, even learned from you.

You are total BULLSHIT!! You actually said, and I quote:

"My reports are blocked from the end of training onwards. I cannot really divulge exactly what I did and where I did it. My service is up to the government to divulge in detail if they chose to. Until then I am actually still bound by the oath taken under the official secrets act at the end of my service. Especially in a public forum!"

You've said many times that you didn't serve, but your family has a long history of serving during wartime. Now you're saying that you are a Secret Agent who served his country in secret, but it's OK to talk it about it here, but you can't talk about it because it's secret. But it's OK to say you did it?

You're making stuff up. Secret stuff is *secret* it's kind of how that works.You pretty much don't say secret You are not doing it. Whatever you're doing is really very sad. Have you completely forgotten where you said you could never serve? Hai-Lee, you are my first disappointment on this entire forum.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I did serve and I provided you with my service record entry!

Where I may have stated that I didn't serve it would have been in a theater of war I was referring to.

I will reread my posts to see where I may have made such a statement just for you. My service history is valid even if a little foggy to you!

Had I been out to HOAX you I would have picked a better story surely! The only gongs I am entitled to wear are for my military service, Australian Defence medal, and the service of my father. (one on each side of the chest! NO WAR SERVICE!

Being 62 and claiming a service record in the regular military forces starting in 1975 would show that I was 18 when I joined up! Vietnam ended for Aus effectively in 1972. I was trained in electronics and spent the remainder of my service career/time working on radar Equipment within Australia.

There is little else I can offer to you. I have never professed war service and never would! It would be easy to do so but my claims are not a fabrication! My service history as mentioned from 1975 to 1977 was firstly at Edinburgh Airforce base in South Australia, (Recruit training), and then posted, 1975-1977 to the RAAF School of Radio at Laverton Airforce base in Victoria for my trade training. I was then further trained in Radar at Radar Squadron, (Hangar 88), Number 1 Aircraft Depot also In Laverton Victoria. The actual equipments I worked on/taught and where I went during my service period MIGHT be part of the reason for the sealed records!

As you have doubts I will send you a copy of my medal application to the Federal Government. (I needed to get it to give to my latest grandson anyway). I had not applied previously because no one who has ever seen me doubts my military service and no one else ever reacted the way you have. If I disappear then I was arrested but if not I will eventually send you a pic with me and my service medal.

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
WOW! This has become a Clusterfuck!!! Pardon my language, but this is getting serious.....
There has to be a certain level of honesty and Honor, in anyone who Served, or is Serving. It shouldn't come to a point where membership in a Forum will require a DD-214.... or whatever Service Record that your Country provides.

OR......We can go back to talking about Foam Aircraft!!!

My Service was LESS than eventful, on the outskirts of the actual fighting, in Desert Storm. I ended with nearly Blowing my Legs off, driving over an IED - in KUWAIT!! Not in any Fighting Theater....
I was almost afraid to tell my Dad, a DFC and CMH Recipient! As it turned out, he was Proud, the day I Enlisted!!
So, we've all got stories, but just being there, was Honorable. Hell, just JOINING is an act of Patriotism!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
WOW! This has become a Clusterfuck!!! Pardon my language, but this is getting serious.....
There has to be a certain level of honesty and Honor, in anyone who Served, or is Serving. It shouldn't come to a point where membership in a Forum will require a DD-214.... or whatever Service Record that your Country provides.

OR......We can go back to talking about Foam Aircraft!!!

My Service was LESS than eventful, on the outskirts of the actual fighting, in Desert Storm. I ended with nearly Blowing my Legs off, driving over an IED - in KUWAIT!! Not in any Fighting Theater....
I was almost afraid to tell my Dad, a DFC and CMH Recipient! As it turned out, he was Proud, the day I Enlisted!!
So, we've all got stories, but just being there, was Honorable. Hell, just JOINING is an act of Patriotism!
I apologize for the apparent take over of this thread. it was never my intention. Currently where I find any proof of my service I am forwarding it via the "Conversation" tab on the profile of the effected member. At least he prompted me to apply for my service medal, (my grandson will love it).
You are correct in your level of proof comment. I do not ever question unless it is pertinent or important but then perhaps it is extremely important to some!

Enough of that I will forward such proof as I can dig up directly to the person upset by this matter.

BACK TO THE REAL TOPIC OF THIS THREAD!

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
....... I am going to heed the concerns of you guys, who have actually flown these, and have had your share of spectacular crashes!!!
Yeah, I want anything of mine to look good. I've made the Rookie mistake of assuming I knew more than enough to take flight, uneventfully....

I SHOULD start out with something expendable, but can save the electronics.

NOT like this is at all similar.... but in FTS, there was two guys who were SO cocky, they were Certain that they were so good - that they didn't even need Aircraft, to fly!!

....... One washed out quickly.
The other..... didn't get the chance to be washed out.

I want my Aircraft looking good. I will respect the fact that not everything that leaves the ground, comes back in one piece.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
....... I am going to heed the concerns of you guys, who have actually flown these, and have had your share of spectacular crashes!!!
Yeah, I want anything of mine to look good. I've made the Rookie mistake of assuming I knew more than enough to take flight, uneventfully....

I SHOULD start out with something expendable, but can save the electronics.

NOT like this is at all similar.... but in FTS, there was two guys who were SO cocky, they were Certain that they were so good - that they didn't even need Aircraft, to fly!!

....... One washed out quickly.
The other..... didn't get the chance to be washed out.

I want my Aircraft looking good. I will respect the fact that not everything that leaves the ground, comes back in one piece.
I still recommend that you consider building a Tiny trainer and continue to build them until they come back alive. With its swappable parts you can actually take a number of spare parts to the field with you so that an unfortunate ground contact does not end your flying until repairs are completed.

Extra parts recommended a number of power pods, nose pieces and take both wings with you as well. In addition a number of spare props and a number of suitable batteries as well. Nothing worse than actually getting it into the air without crashing and only having a single battery. On a good day you may get 5 to 10 minutes flying time/experience and then due to weather have to wait a week or more for another good flying day! Have a look at also getting a prop saver as it will definitely help reduce the initial propeller bill.

Just from memory based upon my learning experiences.

Have fun!