Making Power Pods "pretty"

PoorManRC

Master member
To answer your question - without getting into giving advice . . . primarily because most of these folks have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about building and flying model airplanes - it looks like 2.7" is the smallest circle that can be circumscribed around the standard-sized power pod centered on the motor shaft.

Thank you!! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! :)(y)(y)

PoorManRC

Master member
Sorry I double pasted the link. I should remember to wear my glasses! Anyway original post corrected so link functions properly.

Have fun!
All good. Thanks for the entertaining thread.
@rockyboy - just amazing!!!! 🏆

One other question...........
I want my first Flyer to be Large. Relatively. Big is all I intend to fly, so learning on Tiny Plane, seems counterintuitive.

Simple Storch and Simple Cub top my list, Both converted to Trikes...
Any objections or things I should know?

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ladies and Gentleman I erred in a horrendous way. I was way to drunk to be communicating on a public forum and accused Hai Lee of a horrible thing, that he DID NOT DO. He served heroically and had a very important mission for his country.

In PMs Hai Lee sent to me he stayed level-headed and mature while I was simply a ranting drunk with a chip on his shoulder.

Hai Lee, I am truly and very deeply sorry. The only thing worse than claiming to have served when one hasn't, has got to be having someone denounce your actual service.

I was very, very much in the wrong, Sir. I beg that you accept my truly humble apology.

I will delete all posts above concerning this subject if you wish. Or I will leave them as a warning to others to stay off the darn forum if they've drank too much. If you choose the latter, I will copy and paste this post to the bottom of my others.

No excuses, Hai Lee. I was simply very, very wrong and I did a huge disservice to you. I do not feel I can apologize enough.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ladies and Gentleman I erred in a horrendous way. I was way to drunk to be communicating on a public forum and accused Hai Lee of a horrible thing, that he DID NOT DO. He served heroically and had a very important mission for his country.

In PMs Hai Lee sent to me he stayed level-headed and mature while I was simply a ranting drunk with a chip on his shoulder.

Hai Lee, I am truly and very deeply sorry. The only thing worse than claiming to have served when one hasn't, has got to be having someone denounce your actual service.

I was very, very much in the wrong, Sir. I beg that you accept my truly humble apology.

I will delete all posts above concerning this subject if you wish. Or I will leave them as a warning to others to stay off the darn forum if they've drank too much. If you choose the latter, I will copy and paste this post to the bottom of my others.

No excuses, Hai Lee. I was simply very, very wrong and I did a huge disservice to you. I do not feel I can apologize enough.
When will you ever learn!!!! As a vet you NEVER need to apologize to me for anything! The debt we owe you transcends the trivia of modern day life! I respect you and your right to voice your views. Even with the little disagreement I hold no grudges or animosity. If anything my heart goes out to you. I give out acknowledgements of my respect and admiration for others sparingly but you have both from me!

Disagreements come and go but real men are better for the experience. I class you as being higher in my eyes than most others. As a vet you deserve much better than animosity and I bear none and refuse to! Effectively we are brothers of a sort and heck brothers fight but the feelings of respect never end.

Forgive me if my claims angered you and that i was slow to find some info to ease your pain. As per the PM I actually thank you for kicking me when I needed it! Much admiration here!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
All respect to you. You handled my outbursts like a true veteran of many such. I do have to disagree with you though (Yeah, I'm still me).

Everyone should apologize when they wrong another. Veteran status does not come into play there. There is no status that negates the necessity of apology when one person wrongs another.

I was very and publicly wrong. You've accepted my apology. Whoo. *Wipes sweat from forehead.* Thank you. It's all back to foam board planes now. You would say "Have fun!" Mine is: "The Journey continues."

basslord1124

Master member
Just now catching up with this thread. I agree with everyone else, save the prettiness for later. I have learned the hard way like others have too. Much better to crash a foamboard white plane than to crash a plane that you spent 10+ hours painting and detailing. Then once you have a feel for how the plane handles and performs then you can sit down and make her look nice.

I have an exception to that now though...my FT Simple Cub. It's already painted and got some detail, BUT it's only a 3 channel. So I'm not too much concerned about it.

I kinda wish I had waited on my FT Super Bee. But before I had any maiden I painted and themed it (it wasn't an extensive paint job but it did require multiple colors). All that was left was to add some googly eyes. It lasted 2 flights...1st flight was a short maiden flight and nose first crash, 2nd flight was a tad bit longer then lost at our RC field's death valley somewhere in the woods. I didn't see the Superbee again until about 6 months later (club member found it) having gone through rain, snow, and who knows what. I attached a pic of what it looks like now.

Oh...and it might be a wise idea to start collecting various random pieces of what others might call "junk". I have started this as well. Stuff you can look at and go...hmm that might make a good cowl, or control horn, or landing gear, etc. Old pop bottles, lids, aluminum cans, etc. People have made RC planes out of pool noodles, pizza boxes, etc. Just some things you can explore as you explore this hobby. ;)

Attachments

• Ft Super Bee crashed.png
    Ft Super Bee crashed.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
All good. Thanks for the entertaining thread.
@rockyboy - just amazing!!!! 🏆

One other question...........
I want my first Flyer to be Large. Relatively. Big is all I intend to fly, so learning on Tiny Plane, seems counterintuitive.

Simple Storch and Simple Cub top my list, Both converted to Trikes...
Any objections or things I should know?

I would recommend a Simple Storch converted to a trike for a couple reasons....

1) Bigger flies better. Generally speaking in RC, a larger wingspan and greater weight (while keeping to good wing loading ratio) makes the aircraft more resistant to wind buffeting and generally respond a little slower to control inputs - making it easier to fly and learn on.

2) That leopard motor in the mail to you should take a Storch from "casual confident performance" to "nearly unlimited vertical" - but it would be silly large on the Simple Cub - unnecessary weight and torque roll pressure.

3) The Storch looks fabulous done up in a military paint scheme - either axis or nordic :D

4) Trikes are much easier to takeoff and land - and you'll break a lot fewer props with that wheel keeping the nose out of the dirt.

Once you do start on the Storch however, make sure to beef up the spar at the wing join - these planes are known to have the wings clap when pulling out of a loop when built to the original plans. Paint stirrers or the like can work great for this.

PoorManRC

Master member
Thank You so much!!!
No. 1 I fully understand and mostly knew!! Up there in a Cessna 172 is like driving a Truck, on a rutted Road.... When I flew home on a C-10 ("MAC Airlines" DC-10), I almost didn't know I was in the air!!
Well, unfair comparison.... A small Foam Core Airplane compared to a Large Foam Core Airplane, may not be a huge difference in Performance, but you get the idea....

No. 2, I will always prefer a little overpowered. You can always dial down endpoints on Throttle.... But, you can't add Power that isn't there!!

No. 3, it could also be a Private Owner bird, opening Other possibilities of Liveries.

No. 4, ABSOLUTELY!! My Plan is to make nearly everything a Trike, at least until I'm very experienced and can keep from Nose Diving - even on the ground!!

Simple Storch it is!! Thanks again! (y)(y):cool:

I would recommend a Simple Storch converted to a trike for a couple reasons....

1) Bigger flies better. Generally speaking in RC, a larger wingspan and greater weight (while keeping to good wing loading ratio) makes the aircraft more resistant to wind buffeting and generally respond a little slower to control inputs - making it easier to fly and learn on.

2) That leopard motor in the mail to you should take a Storch from "casual confident performance" to "nearly unlimited vertical" - but it would be silly large on the Simple Cub - unnecessary weight and torque roll pressure.

3) The Storch looks fabulous done up in a military paint scheme - either axis or nordic :D

4) Trikes are much easier to takeoff and land - and you'll break a lot fewer props with that wheel keeping the nose out of the dirt.

Once you do start on the Storch however, make sure to beef up the spar at the wing join - these planes are known to have the wings clap when pulling out of a loop when built to the original plans. Paint stirrers or the like can work great for this.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
No. 2, I will always prefer a little overpowered. You can always dial down endpoints on Throttle.... But, you can't add Power that isn't there!!

Very true - and it's amazing how many RC pilots seem to think the throttle is an "on-off" switch... :p

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Oh...and it might be a wise idea to start collecting various random pieces of what others might call "junk". I have started this as well. Stuff you can look at and go...hmm that might make a good cowl, or control horn, or landing gear, etc. Old pop bottles, lids, aluminum cans, etc. People have made RC planes out of pool noodles, pizza boxes, etc. Just some things you can explore as you explore this hobby. ;)

Word of warning - be careful how much you "collect". My uncle got into this hobby, and has BOXES of packages of paint stirrers, coffee stirrer straws (those little teeny straws that aren't much good for anything BUT stirring something), scraps of foam board and EPP foam, and a whole slew of sun rotted pool noodles that he says will be "protection" for his quadcopter he's building, that's been in the process of building for 2 years now).

His mobile home looks like an Episode of "Hoarders" on steroids. I can't go in there, because I'm literally afraid that if I sneeze, the stuff is going to bury me and I won't be able to get out!

basslord1124

Master member

Simple Storch it is!! Thanks again! (y)(y):cool:

Hey enjoy! ...and I'll be following if you want to do the Storch as a trike.

I got plenty of videos of my journey with the FT Storch since it was the first FT plane I built. It's a super floaty plane...great for a beginner. I did the spar pretty much how it is in the video with the wood sticks in the middle, it hasn't folded yet. Of course it could be the extra amounts of glue and tape that has been added too. I'm in the process now of upgrading the motor to 4S capabilities, bigger ESC, ditched the wire landing gear (a majority hate the wire landing gear) for a standard landing gear set, and next gonna be adding flaps.

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm either using CF Arrow Shafts or a light Wood Yardstick, placed right at the CG spot on the Wing. That way (I'm hoping!), any added weight, won't alter the balance! ;)