Marine Surface Receiver

USCATX

Any ideas for an affordable 3 channel DSMX/DSM2 receiver for marine use? I’ve been using Lemon RX in planes and they’ve been great, but the Spektrum marine receiver is $80 which is more than I plan to spend on the entire boat.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Any ideas for an affordable 3 channel DSMX/DSM2 receiver for marine use? I’ve been using Lemon RX in planes and they’ve been great, but the Spektrum marine receiver is $80 which is more than I plan to spend on the entire boat.
I would use any standard compatible receiver in an IP66 or IP67 enclosure with waterproofing applied where the antennas and servo leads pass through the sides of the enclosure.

Have fun!

Andrew

G'day Mate
Be careful, Spektrum surface receiver's are not compatible with the normal DSM2/DSMX transmitters, vice versa.

Bricks

Master member
Flight Test did a video using Corrsion X spraying down the receiver and servos, then flew a helicopter out of a fish tank, I cannot seem to find the video they produced maybe some one else can find it. It was cool to see this helicopter sitting at the bottom of an aquarium and flying out of it, that should be more then enough water proofing for a boat installation.

USCATX

Flight Test did a video using Corrsion X spraying down the receiver and servos, then flew a helicopter out of a fish tank, I cannot seem to find the video they produced maybe some one else can find it. It was cool to see this helicopter sitting at the bottom of an aquarium and flying out of it, that should be more then enough water proofing for a boat installation.

Ha! That’s amazing. I need to use more of that on my real boats.

Edit: Found the video and it’s pretty amazing. Looks like the ESC is easily the most vulnerable part.
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/waterproofing-electronics

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I ve seen receivers get ruined from corrosionx, there is a current thread here or RC groups where a guy has ruined a receiver
I race RC boats and we put our receivers inside balloons

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Just a note, 2.4ghz is horrible underwater. Peter sripol did a lego submarine and he tried it.
Just don't mount your receiver underwater and you'll be fine.:ROFLMAO:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
didnt know there were more snake oil options....dont really care given the first product failed and people are still killing electronics with it......

when I started with fast elec race boats guys looked into it and at the time found that it sprays a wax on the elec bits, first time you unplug a servo wire you exposed the electronics

we all pretty much went back to balloons and it works for me still