Marine vs Air Receiver/ESC Issue

USCATX

Related somewhat to my thread about surface receivers, I decided to go with the newly released Spektrum SR215 receiver for my jet boat project. That’s up and running and plenty of fun, so I decided to convert an Aquacraft airboat to brushless power. The current setup is an Emax 2210, spektrum SR215 receiver, cheapo 20a ESC running BLHeli (https://www.buddyrc.com/collections/esc-1/products/kensun-blheli-program-20a-esc-with-2a-bec-on-sale) and the Spektrum DX5c transmitter.

For some reason the ESC doesn’t seem to like the car/boat style trigger throttle and makes a bunch of chimes but won’t initialize the motor. I tried turning the brake off and limiting the reverse throttle travel in the TX but still a no go. To make sure everything was in working order I swapped in a $9 Lemon RX receiver and ran it off my DX6e with zero problems. However, it’s a boat and I want to run it with the wheel/trigger TX. I feel like there has to be some throttle trim or setting I’m missing here that would allow this to work.

As an aside, what am I missing on the telemetry side of things on the SR215 or other receivers in the future? Do people run adapters to connect the balance connector so you see actual pack voltage instead of BEC voltage?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
My thought is that that hellie ESC wants to go from 1000ms to 2000ms for 0 to full, but the trigger throttle is doing 1000ms for full neg, 1500ms for 0, and 200ms for full pos.

can you check with a servo on the throttle channel and see what movement it does based on the trigger throttle position?

USCATX

My thought is that that hellie ESC wants to go from 1000ms to 2000ms for 0 to full, but the trigger throttle is doing 1000ms for full neg, 1500ms for 0, and 200ms for full pos.

can you check with a servo on the throttle channel and see what movement it does based on the trigger throttle position?
I just bound as a new model to test this out with the ESC connected into Batt for power and the steering servo on the throttle channel. The trigger now operates the steering servo normally in one direction with throttle and the other in reverse.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
that is what I was thinking was going to happen. I suspect that ESC isn't ok with the input values your giving it. (1500 for 0, 2000 for full)

Andrew

G'day Mate
The easiest and quickest way to fix this situation should be to calibrate the ESC throttle position, (1500ms no throttle , 2000ms full throttle).

USCATX

Anybody have a preferred basic usb dongle for configuring ESCs? I suppose i should get into that because it will come in handy. Otherwise I could just get a car/marine ESC.

Andrew

G'day Mate
Anybody have a preferred basic usb dongle for configuring ESCs? I suppose i should get into that because it will come in handy. Otherwise I could just get a car/marine ESC.
Did you try to calibrate the ESC throttle, it takes less than 10 seconds to do it and no tools or other equipment needed. I'm a firm believer that all ESCs should be throttle calibrated for maximum performance whether it's a multirotor, plane, boat, or car.

USCATX

Did you try to calibrate the ESC throttle, it takes less than 10 seconds to do it and no tools or other equipment needed. I'm a firm believer that all ESCs should be throttle calibrated for maximum performance whether it's a multirotor, plane, boat, or car.
Haven’t done that yet. If a no-name/no-documentation ESC is flashed with BLHeli do I just google BLHeli Throttle Calibration?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you are going to use a standard ESC, you will probably need to put it in 3D mode, so that it can do throttle reverse. 1000-1500= reverse 1500-2000 = forward.

USCATX

If you are going to use a standard ESC, you will probably need to put it in 3D mode, so that it can do throttle reverse. 1000-1500= reverse 1500-2000 = forward.
It would be nice to have reverse since it’s an airboat piloted by a 7 year old who loves to put it in the plants on the creek banks.