Marvel's Avengers/S.H.I.E.L.D. Quinjet

jfaleo1

Sorry to hear about Pup. Those furry ones are always family. :cry:

This is coming along. (y) good luck on the maiden flight. did you glide test it?

The smaller one flies well but the wing and tail are not on the fuselage for this one yet. This version should fly a little better since I have stiffened the tail and bumped the power up a lot with only a slight increase in size. Working out the retracts and placement of the electronics when I have a moment here and there. Once that is done I can place the wing and tail.

jfaleo1

Well here is today's update. Glued up the tail section and finished the gear pod on the left side. Fitting it all together soon and fitting up all the electronics. Still considering Flaperons but not sure yet and I have to solder up an XT90 "Y" connector for the battery to two ESCs and two XT60 to XT90 adaptors to run two batteries ( one for each ESC) depends on weight and Balance.
IMG_3646.JPG IMG_3647.JPG

Zephyr1

Elite member
Wowza, I had no idea you were doing retractable landing gear for this, that awesome! A word of warning though, I'd highly recommend leaving them off the first prototype with EDFs, they're a crap ton of weight, and they nearly sunk my Arado project last year. Looks amazing though!

jfaleo1

Wowza, I had no idea you were doing retractable landing gear for this, that awesome! A word of warning though, I'd highly recommend leaving them off the first prototype with EDFs, they're a crap ton of weight, and they nearly sunk my Arado project last year. Looks amazing though!

The first EDF version had no gear at all but it had the 50mm fans, this one has 64mm fans is only 10% larger overall with 20% more wing. same battery, only a few grams more servo. Also I pulled more paper off and shortened the distance from CG to EDFs to help with CG. Still the Retracts are a weight penalty. I have a nice field with a paved runway so I hope it will work out. my biggest issue is it will be twitchy on the ground due to the nose gear being too close to the mains, I may yet switch that around, But I need the room for battery(s).

jfaleo1

Well this may be the last (or almost last) update before I head to Columbus, OH for a couple weeks to teach a class.

Installed the tail/nacelle section and both gear pods are done. still working electronics, wing attachment, upper wing fairing and fwd hatch.
I will post possibly one more before I leave if possible, I am working on getting wing installed and upper fairing and reinforcements before I leave.

Attachments

• IMG_3647.JPG
    IMG_3647.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3648.JPG
    IMG_3648.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Well this may be the last (or almost last) update before I head to Columbus, OH for a couple weeks to teach a class.

Installed the tail/nacelle section and both gear pods are done. still working electronics, wing attachment, upper wing fairing and fwd hatch.
I will post possibly one more before I leave if possible, I am working on getting wing installed and upper fairing and reinforcements before I leave.

Looks awesome!

jfaleo1

Looks awesome!
Thanks, I know this one will be harder to fly, it is terribly short coupled and while wing loading will be the same or lower than the prototype it has more drag and a whole new set of challenges to overcome. Biggest issue now is beefing up wing saddle and soldering up a connection for two ESC to one battery.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Just a word of caution: Be very VERY careful when making throttle changes in flight! Do NOT underestimate the "nose-down" moment generated by those EDFs mounted on top like that.

It's not insurmountable, I just want you to be aware of it.

Lookin great!!

jfaleo1

Just a word of caution: Be very VERY careful when making throttle changes in flight! Do NOT underestimate the "nose-down" moment generated by those EDFs mounted on top like that.

It's not insurmountable, I just want you to be aware of it.

Lookin great!!

Actually that is one of the challenges to overcome, the prototype has a fair amount of pitch change with throttle already so it may get interesting. I am considering flapperons to change camber on the wing, that may help with pitch changes, or even looking at a way to couple throttle to elevator if it is too severe. I will see in time how it goes.

jfaleo1

Well I just finished teaching my class in Columbus, OH. On the way home in the morning. So far behind at home I doubt I get much done soon but maybe I can get some time this week to get this bird close to flying.

jfaleo1

Had a rough couple of weeks after getting home but have finally been able to work on it some (weather here has been terrible and have had to work late almost daily due to a very difficult class to teach the last two weeks).
All wiring done and electronics installed wing assembly ready to install and nose skin ready to install and cut hatch. pushrods and control horns will be last before final programing and flight. This version will be a one off, it would be impossible to replicate so may be I will put out what I can and let everyone have at it from the the files I have once I fly it. Latest pics from this week.

Attachments

• IMG_3769.JPG
    IMG_3769.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3767.JPG
    IMG_3767.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3768.JPG
    IMG_3768.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

jfaleo1

Forgot to put this in last nights post. Final setup is Flaperons, dual rudders, elevator, retracts, 2 64mm fans, 4s 3000mAh battery. not sure of AUW. Wing loading feels like it might be high but this is a long game on this project. Watching "The Winter Soldier" again this AM and I think I can make the wing bigger and still look good with the ultimate model, especially with a nice lightweight fuselage. I have to remember with each feature is a weight penalty.

jfaleo1

I had a previous version and I know about where to start from that. However with 41 years behind me on this I start with 30 to 33% MAC (mean aerodynamic cord) and go from there. I know there is a calculator online but have not tried it, maybe I will and see what it says.
Nose heavy is always better but I can handle neutral or even a little tail heavy. Right now I am very close to neutral at 35% which is a little more tail heavy than I would like but I still can adjust a little bit with the battery placement or I could run two 4s 2200 packs instead of the single.
Calculator gives me about the same range I am in right now but I am aft of optimal.

Just realized your question may mean how will I actually test it. The answer is fly it:)

Last edited: