Master Series Bf-109 Build

bwarz

Master member
Thanks! Yours looks great!

How did you do the polka-dot effect for where to remove paper? I couldn't find out how to.
Thanks! For the patterns in Inkscape you draw a small square of what you want - slashes, hashes, dots. Make sure that if you copied and pasted next to it everything would line up spot-on (my dots have half dots on the edges and actually quarter dots on the corners - also my squares are only like 3/4" of drawing.) Then select the square of stuff and group it, and selecting the group, go into the menu Objects-Pattern-Objects to Pattern (Or ALT-I) and it will add it to the fill patterns list in Fill and Stroke.

You can rename it in the object browser I think - I even made an Inkscape template at one time to start from (but always forget to start with the template :ROFLMAO:). But, I've found it easier to take the section of things I always use - those three groups for patterns, the rulers and plan title, the A fold B fold stuff, etc - and keep it off to the side of the svg and copy and paste it into my new project.

I hope my 8AM-needs-more-coffee description makes sense! Good luck with your exams!

bwarz

Master member
ooo on another note, I've been tinkering with tail stuff as well - I've found that a carved out slot between the top and bottom (what becomes the leading edge) needs to be small (mine is like 2mm) to get a better rounded edge - otherwise you get a blunt flat front. I think my current build I left the paper, but build #2 (starting this weekend) I'm going to try removing the paper on both sides and see how it folds together. With the VSTAB, try it in foam first. I've been getting some really good looking leading edges removing the paper and putting a big (>45 degrees) taper on it. I think I'm going to try something drastic with this beta build but the high HSTAB might make the folds kinda sloppy... I'll have to keep you filled in (or keep an eye on my resource and build).

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Here are some pictures of the model to show how it goes together:

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.31.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.31.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.32.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.32.50 PM.png

If you want any more or any parts in specific, just let me know.

JustPlaneChris

This is really amazing work! I've been struggling for MONTHS trying to figure out how to draw foamboard designs in Fusion 360 and then be able to unwrap them, and here you are making me feel old and stupid by figuring it out. :LOL:

Any hints you can give on how you make it happen would really help. I've got an A-7 EDF design that's pretty far along, but I can't figure out how to unwrap it to make the darn skin patterns. :cautious:

Chris

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
This is really amazing work! I've been struggling for MONTHS trying to figure out how to draw foamboard designs in Fusion 360 and then be able to unwrap them, and here you are making me feel old and stupid by figuring it out. :LOL:

Any hints you can give on how you make it happen would really help. I've got an A-7 EDF design that's pretty far along, but I can't figure out how to unwrap it to make the darn skin patterns. :cautious:

Chris

You can use meshmixer, and I think that’s what flitedesign 3d uses, but I’ve figured out a way to use exactflat for free.

Leadfoot335

@Whit Armstrong I've downloaded the plans and am looking at starting the build soon. I did have a few questions in regards to the build though. Would you prefer a direct message in regards to them?

Very nice simple design!

Leadfoot335

Alright, here they are....
- Are there skins for the for battery access hatch? There are skins on Page 2 of the drawings that are unmarked which look to be the
underside only of that area
- Are there plywood braces for the wings or a specific dihedral that it should be built to?

Thanks again for the plans!

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Alright, here they are....
- Are there skins for the for battery access hatch? There are skins on Page 2 of the drawings that are unmarked which look to be the
underside only of that area
- Are there plywood braces for the wings or a specific dihedral that it should be built to?

Thanks again for the plans!
I think the skins are there, if not, you could probably find them in the project files. There aren’t any wood braces included because I didn’t have access to a computer after I realized that I had left them out. I will be able to revise them soon though, in a couple of days.