Elite member
It begins...

Attachments

• 20210611_215317.jpg
    20210611_215317.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'm stumped on the tail. I'm guessing we should do some Nerdnic-style speedwing tapers on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Otherwise, the double-thicknesses won't fit together. Also, the tabs on the elevator have me scratching my head. Anyone ahead of me on this build?

Attachments

• 20210613_085948.jpg
    20210613_085948.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210613_091247.jpg
    20210613_091247.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 0

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I'm stumped on the tail. I'm guessing we should do some Nerdnic-style speedwing tapers on the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Otherwise, the double-thicknesses won't fit together. Also, the tabs on the elevator have me scratching my head. Anyone ahead of me on this build?
You’ll notice on the plans that you’re supposed to cut through the leading edge of the elevator where the slot is. With that cut, you can swing the top part of the rudder away and put the elevator in the slot.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I see. If you had a picture of the tail assembly you could post, I'd be grateful. Even after cutting the vertical stabilizer to slide the elevator in, the slot only seems to be one foam board thickness. The elevator/horizontal stabilizer is doubled up. However, checking out some of the other build pictures earlier in this thread, it looks like both are only single foamboard thickness. Hopefully the picture below can show what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, it comes together quickly- this was just one rainy Sunday's worth of work. I wound up using some old wooden FT Spitfire spars in the wings and will probably use a cut down MS Corsair powerpod in the nose. Speaking of nose, that hatch is pretty sweet; I'm hoping there's room for a 2200 or 3000 4S battery in there.

Attachments

• 20210613_153023.jpg
    20210613_153023.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210613_153939.jpg
    20210613_153939.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 0

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I see. If you had a picture of the tail assembly you could post, I'd be grateful. Even after cutting the vertical stabilizer to slide the elevator in, the slot only seems to be one foam board thickness. The elevator/horizontal stabilizer is doubled up. However, checking out some of the other build pictures earlier in this thread, it looks like both are only single foamboard thickness. Hopefully the picture below can show what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, it comes together quickly- this was just one rainy Sunday's worth of work. I wound up using some old wooden FT Spitfire spars in the wings and will probably use a cut down MS Corsair powerpod in the nose. Speaking of nose, that hatch is pretty sweet; I'm hoping there's room for a 2200 or 3000 4S battery in there.

Right before I finished the plans, I made the decision to double the thickness on the tail surfaces, so some earlier pictures might not match. There should be an area on the elevator that is only one foam thickness, and that should face down when slotting in. I don’t have much access to foamboard, but I will probably be able to put together a cardboard mockup.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
It flies! Quite nicely, too. I couldn't wait. Super fast flight because the spinner was out of center, but this bird has potential. Seemed rock solid with little trim needed even in a crazy wind this afternoon. A 3000 4S battery crammed into the hatch and a big Dubro spinner up front seemed to balance it pretty well.

As you can see, I went back to the single thickness tail section, but I reinforced both horizontal and vertical stabilizers with bbq skewers and it seems pretty solid. The game plan is to finish it up with an Adolf Galland-style Battle of Britain paint job next.

Thank you again for the plans and support. Anybody working on the P-40 yet? I guess its time to head over to that thread.

Attachments

• 20210617_205925.jpg
    20210617_205925.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210617_210416.jpg
    20210617_210416.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It flies! Quite nicely, too. I couldn't wait. Super fast flight because the spinner was out of center, but this bird has potential. Seemed rock solid with little trim needed even in a crazy wind this afternoon. A 3000 4S battery crammed into the hatch and a big Dubro spinner up front seemed to balance it pretty well.

As you can see, I went back to the single thickness tail section, but I reinforced both horizontal and vertical stabilizers with bbq skewers and it seems pretty solid. The game plan is to finish it up with an Adolf Galland-style Battle of Britain paint job next.

Thank you again for the plans and support. Anybody working on the P-40 yet? I guess its time to head over to that thread.
looks awesome

Whit Armstrong

Elite member

It looks great, I especially like the wing fillets you added. Good call with the single thickness. The double thickness was tough on that one because the elevator is connected to the rudder and not to the fuselage.

I'm still designing the P-40, but it should be done soon. I'm working on compiling inkscape on my computer, which will make it way more pleasant to work in, and I have nothing else to do but make planes.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's a couple of glamour shots before she goes out and gets all beat up. Thanks for sharing your plans, Whit. I'm sure they took a lot of time and energy to develop.

Attachments

• 20210628_072539.jpg
    20210628_072539.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210628_072549.jpg
    20210628_072549.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210628_072601.jpg
    20210628_072601.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210628_072612.jpg
    20210628_072612.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 0

Kartman24

Hi, may thanks for making the plans available, i have downloaded them, do they download as full size or do they have to be blown up, if so what percentage size are they in the download?