Master Series Builds, Past Present and Future.

Test Fly RC

Elite member
The Master Series F-16 and F-14 look Amazing O wait all of them look amazing!

Thanks John for all the hard work you put into these models, the paint jobs look amazing!

Can't wait for these models to be released on the FT Store!

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
Master Series F-16 and F-14 please!

Thanks John for all the hard work you put into these models, the paint jobs look amazing!

Can't wait for these models to be released on the FT Store!
I know on his YouTube channel he has done an F14 and on Insta he has done F16. I doubt they will come out any time soon though due to Flite test having the plans and a schedule for them coming out.

KBTalon17

RotorBoyFPV
Any chance you have an update on the Ta-152 you were working on a while back. I have been building flite test planes for years and always wanted them to release a model of the 152. I got so excited when it was mentioned you were working on one. Look forward to building one eventually.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
The weather let up just for a little bit so got to fly the hellcat. Also started work on an air tractor. I hope to build a flying version this week.My buddy John came up, he beta built an a 10 for me. Love the desert paint scheme. View attachment 193314 View attachment 193316 View attachment 193317 View attachment 193318 View attachment 193319 View attachment 193320
when would the plans be released for the air tractor. out of all the master series planes, this one on floats is the one I want to see most.

KBTalon17

RotorBoyFPV
Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed at the direction flite test has been going for about the last 2 years. When I discovered them when I was a young teen it seemed that the goal was to get anyone into the hobby which was pretty restricted to me as a young person because of the price of electronics and planes that were on the market at the time. Now it seems to have gotten pretty commercial. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for their success but that success was because they found a way to get people into the hobby for a reasonable amount of money and time, while also creating a medium for people to express some creativity. I feel like the vibe of just having plans and awesome new designs coming out with no expectation that we buy speed build kits but just to move the hobby forward has been lost a little bit. I think this thread proves that to some extent. I'd love to see flite test take a couple steps back and reevaluate some of their company goals (not that I know what their goals are. This is just based off of the content they have released for the past while). I hope this doesn't bring any heat in the forum but I'd love to see yall's thoughts on this as well.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Not gonna lie I'm a little disappointed at the direction flite test has been going for about the last 2 years. When I discovered them when I was a young teen it seemed that the goal was to get anyone into the hobby which was pretty restricted to me as a young person because of the price of electronics and planes that were on the market at the time. Now it seems to have gotten pretty commercial. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for their success but that success was because they found a way to get people into the hobby for a reasonable amount of money and time, while also creating a medium for people to express some creativity. I feel like the vibe of just having plans and awesome new designs coming out with no expectation that we buy speed build kits but just to move the hobby forward has been lost a little bit. I think this thread proves that to some extent. I'd love to see flite test take a couple steps back and reevaluate some of their company goals (not that I know what their goals are. This is just based off of the content they have released for the past while). I hope this doesn't bring any heat in the forum but I'd love to see yall's thoughts on this as well.
I agree, and I am getting pretty mad when they constantly raise the sbk price, but stop realeasing free plans. It makes me mad, as I would prefer free plans to a sbk, as the sbk takes up atleast 20 dollars, of which I do not have.

The Fopster

Master member
I agree, and I am getting pretty mad when they constantly raise the sbk price, but stop realeasing free plans. It makes me mad, as I would prefer free plans to a sbk, as the sbk takes up atleast 20 dollars, of which I do not have.
I've followed FT since the early days, and they got me into the hobby. I've built SBKs and I've scratch built from their plans. I can see where you're coming from - but I think perhaps the biggest thing they have done for the hobby is create this forum, where you can get loads of plans from the members all of which are posted for free. There are so many talented people on here building and designing amazing planes - so the lack of "official" FT designs doesn't seem such a problem to me anymore. I'd love to see them do more free plans, but if they don't I still have plenty of stuff to build!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I've followed FT since the early days, and they got me into the hobby. I've built SBKs and I've scratch built from their plans. I can see where you're coming from - but I think perhaps the biggest thing they have done for the hobby is create this forum, where you can get loads of plans from the members all of which are posted for free. There are so many talented people on here building and designing amazing planes - so the lack of "official" FT designs doesn't seem such a problem to me anymore. I'd love to see them do more free plans, but if they don't I still have plenty of stuff to build!
you are deffinetely right about that

CappyAmeric

Elite member
High quality content and great manufactured products are never free. While sometimes they may be free to the consumer, there has to be a way to otherwise finance an enterprise. FT has done an amazing job of minimizing cost for those of us that enjoy the hobby. By creating great video content, they have been able to both grow the number of enthusiasts while at the same time monetizing through YouTube.

Kudos for all the efforts that FT has done in making the hobby accessible to all - including providing this forum with the plethora of free plans and build instructions.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
High quality content and great manufactured products are never free. While sometimes they may be free to the consumer, there has to be a way to otherwise finance an enterprise. FT has done an amazing job of minimizing cost for those of us that enjoy the hobby. By creating great video content, they have been able to both grow the number of enthusiasts while at the same time monetizing through YouTube.

Kudos for all the efforts that FT has done in making the hobby accessible to all - including providing this forum with the plethora of free plans and build instructions.
no doubt, they should provide speed build kits for some of the forum builds, that would be nice, I would buy their speed build kits, if they would a. make free shipping, b. lower the cost by alot. me and my dad calculated, off of one mm sbk, they get 15 dollars, of one larger, 35. that is insane counting that they only cost 20,40 dollars, relatively.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
no doubt, they should provide speed build kits for some of the forum builds, that would be nice, I would buy their speed build kits, if they would a. make free shipping, b. lower the cost by alot. me and my dad calculated, off of one mm sbk, they get 15 dollars, of one larger, 35. that is insane counting that they only cost 20,40 dollars, relatively.
Looks like you and your father have a business plan. Just remember when you start your business that supply and demand is the inescapable principle. Basing a business on per unit cost alone is why 99% of small businesses fail in the first year.

Last edited:

Burnhard

I am following this thread for some while now. I have to say, so far I have only build from the free plans but that is mainly due to the fact that where I live, supply of SBK isn‘t exactly great. They pretty much got me into the hobby. After having build some of the easier versions and two MS aircraft, going forward I will happily purchase the SBK as well as PP and Aura. In particular with the MS, the SBK has the benefit of a cleaner model and you do not have to spent two days in cutting the foam. Looking at what I have to pay for A1 sheets of foamboard, the SBK comes in at only double the price of plain foam board, which is perfectly fine from my perspective.

It would be nice if there was a „plans only“ offering (FT can figure out the price) for those of us who enjoy the cutting of the pieces. That way they could make money on just the plans as well. However, I see that once plans are out, there is a good chance that these end up on the net which is not helpful.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Looks like you and your father have a business plan. Just remember when you start your business that supply and demand is the inescapable principle. Basing a business on per unit cost alone is why 99% of small businesses fail in the first year. Our hobby has incredibly low volume, which is why it is amazing the way that FT has gradually grown the number of subscribers while at the same time kept costs to the consumer very low.
pls no business for me until I get a couple of my own designs flying. just asking of those things from ft

GrizWiz

Elite member
In totally agree that flite test not releasing plans is kind of sad and if they were to sell them I would buy them. However I think that the quality of there video content has gone down. I loved it when the did vlogs and did projects that other people can do. For the last year they have been doing mainly giant projects and projects that you can't really do at home. I just wish that the content was a bit more doable. I do think that John Overstreet's designs are great but wish that they will continue to release plans for them!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
In totally agree that flite test not releasing plans is kind of sad and if they were to sell them I would buy them. However I think that the quality of there video content has gone down. I loved it when the did vlogs and did projects that other people can do. For the last year they have been doing mainly giant projects and projects that you can't really do at home. I just wish that the content was a bit more doable. I do think that John Overstreet's designs are great but wish that they will continue to release plans for them!
I think that they are doing those monster builds to show what COULD be done.

GrizWiz

Elite member
I think for a giant scale plane I would rather make it out of brown foamboard instead, as I live in a wetter climate. Plus the maker foam is kinda nice but I would rather have waterproof over buildability.
The maker foam was water proof but the manufacturers changed things and messed up the quality of the foamboard

OliverW

Legendary member
I'm planning out a monster build for sometime in the winter, and honestly I'll just double up the foam for everything. It'd be simple enough to do, but cutting would be a pain. And then I'd probably paint it, and go over the whole thing with doculam to water proof it