Master Series Builds, Past Present and Future.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
IMG_4552.png

With the front of the battery box open on top. You can also see where I filled in the bottom toward the back of the battery box, and where I added wooden tongue depressors on the sides. This is my second MS C-47 - I am doing it as a DC-3 airliner (not painted yet).

usaserres

So I only have the nacelles to put together but frankly, I can’t figure out how to build the C-47 nacelles. I got the right and left identifications, I got the symbols but I have 4 formers for each nacelle. If I take the right one, I see that the 2 RN1, the RN2 and the RN3 are to be glued together, right? With the RN2 being in the middle and a bit larger than RN1 and RN3.
Now I see where RH goes on RN3 amd XM is to be glued to RN1 but after that I’m lost. I do not see the part that can be glued on RN2, the larger former of the 4 staked together. And on top of it it is in the middle. Any help would be welcome.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
So I only have the nacelles to put together but frankly, I can’t figure out how to build the C-47 nacelles. I got the right and left identifications, I got the symbols but I have 4 formers for each nacelle. If I take the right one, I see that the 2 RN1, the RN2 and the RN3 are to be glued together, right? With the RN2 being in the middle and a bit larger than RN1 and RN3.
Now I see where RH goes on RN3 amd XM is to be glued to RN1 but after that I’m lost. I do not see the part that can be glued on RN2, the larger former of the 4 staked together. And on top of it it is in the middle. Any help would be welcome.

It appears the info you need is in the 19th and 14th vids of the C-47 Playlist.
Linked below:

C-47 Skytrain Build Playlist
Vid 19 - Unique Features: C-47
Vid 14 - Symbol Mapping: Miscellaneous

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Thanks but I did and unfortunately those are not answering my above questions about those supposedly 4 staked formers if indeed they are all stacked together.
Look on the formers. Any stacking will list (in order) what is stacked. The largest is actually the next to the last one, and also has a bevel facing forward. That is what gives the distinct look for the C-47 nacelle.

For the skins around the formers, start with ones that wrap all the way around, then do the bottom skins. After you mount the nacelles with motors installed, then do the top of the nacelles like shown the the C-47 special features video. If you watch the Misc video where John shows you the bottom of the Mosquito nacelles, and then the C-47 special features video where he shows you the top of the C-47 nacelles, you’ll have it.

usaserres

Look on the formers. Any stacking will list (in order) what is stacked. The largest is actually the next to the last one, and also has a bevel facing forward. That is what gives the distinct look for the C-47 nacelle.

For the skins around the formers, start with ones that wrap all the way around, then do the bottom skins. After you mount the nacelles with motors installed, then do the top of the nacelles like shown the the C-47 special features video. If you watch the Misc video where John shows you the bottom of the Mosquito nacelles, and then the C-47 special features video where he shows you the top of the C-47 nacelles, you’ll have it.
Thanks. I think I got it.

usaserres

I do have one more question. I am a bit worried about the fact that both nacelles do not seem to be positioned at the same distance from the wing leading edges. It seems that, under the wing (see photo below) the slots are not positioned at the same distance from the leading edge. One is further away by a few millimeters than the other. This would mean that one motor ends up further forward than the other as all the other pieces of the nacelles are the same size. Is that correct?

Attachments

• C-47 2.jpg
    C-47 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I do have one more question. I am a bit worried about the fact that both nacelles do not seem to be positioned at the same distance from the wing leading edges. It seems that, under the wing (see photo below) the slots are not positioned at the same distance from the leading edge. One is further away by a few millimeters than the other. This would mean that one motor ends up further forward than the other as all the other pieces of the nacelles are the same size. Is that correct?
Both of mine had slight differences how the nacelles fit it, but it seems fine. My first one has flown several times and flies great, so I think you will be OK.

usaserres

I’m planning to use 3 blades props on this 72” C-47. But it seems that a 9” gets real close to the plane fuselage. Would a 3 blade 8” provide enough power with the recommended motor set up?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I’m planning to use 3 blades props on this 72” C-47. But it seems that a 9” gets real close to the plane fuselage. Would a 3 blade 8” provide enough power with the recommended motor set up?
I am using 3 blade 8x4.7 on my 60” with C pack motors. Very powerful even with the smaller props.

Splinter189

Master member
wont affect a thing, that said you can always adjust the slots to make up for any differences between sides

usaserres

Wow. I would looooove to see that! Im all in with the F-14!!!

So, I finished my 72" C-47. I will now apply the "Breitling World Tour" deco. I think it will look real cool. I will post photos when livery is done!

In the meantime, here is a shot of my landing gear mod. Took the lading gear from an old 1400mm HKg Lancaster that I had. Works perfectly! And does not add much weight at all.
Breitling_DC3_World_Tour_-_Phuket_-_Thailand_1.jpg copy.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg

Burnhard

I think you need to try some, this week...
Just imagine...
Ft ms spitfire, with scale retracts...
Ooh man that would look absolutely beautiful & sexy ..:love:
Did one of these. You can see it in the back. The Problem is that the wheels are rather small (some 65mm) which is to small for a grass takeoff at our flying field.

Attachments

• 6FDE545E-DF4F-4663-AA9F-1A56A41E2394.jpeg
    6FDE545E-DF4F-4663-AA9F-1A56A41E2394.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Burnhard

That's what's keeping me from buying WW2 aircraft is the fact that we don't have inexpensive retractable landing gear. One of my father's brothers served with the Flying Tigers. I want one, but I want landing gear that retracts like it did on that aircraft.
(The landing gear on a P-40 folded BACK, not to the side!)

Maybe we can come up with plastic gears that rotate the landing gear arms straight back like the P-40, or to the side like a Spitfire, or towards the fuselage like an ME-109? Then attach a servo to it?

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
You can actually buy these and they are reasonably expensive (around 50 bucks or so for a pair).

Splinter189

Master member
Wow. I would looooove to see that! Im all in with the F-14!!!

So, I finished my 72" C-47. I will now apply the "Breitling World Tour" deco. I think it will look real cool. I will post photos when livery is done!

In the meantime, here is a shot of my landing gear mod. Took the lading gear from an old 1400mm HKg Lancaster that I had. Works perfectly! And does not add much weight at all. View attachment 208634 View attachment 208633 View attachment 208634 View attachment 208634 View attachment 208633
Love the landing gear!!