Master Series Corsair

JTarmstr

Elite member
Something came in the mail today :D

P1200233.JPG

DrkRaven

OMG I would die. I also LOVE the Dauntless, it has always been one of my favorite planes and I talk about it at length whenever the subject of warplanes comes up. My very first model airplane was a balsa former and stringer model of the Dauntless. I knew that plane backwards and forwards. It seems to me that with this Master technique, it would be possible to make the dive brakes. What a brilliant idea!
Well maybe Someone will read this and say Hey that would be good for master series!

DrkRaven

ya, sorry man. i did not order this, it is Rasterize's and i'm pretty sure he knows a guy... ;).

View attachment 125699

i will second again, this is a great build for you and a buddy. it is not crazy complicated but having the spare hands really does make a big diff.

tips so far;

1- overkill is understated. when you are forming the foam, go more than less, if you over roll it, it can be worked back, if you under roll it, it will fight you the whole way.

2- use tape and give plenty of time to let the glue dry

3- use common sense. if you have built enough FT planes you will see some places that can be done easier.

4- take your time. i'm usually awful about just skipping ahead because "i know what to do" but with this, seriously watch the video, make notes, don't rush ahead assuming you have done this before.

can't wait to finish. Rasterize is coming back over tomorrow @ 3.30 and we should have done by end of night.

he wants a nice scale flyer, me i always go big or go home. it may be his kit, but i am donating the electronics so the plan is;

Propdrive 28-36 910kv and 10x4.5 prop, 60A esc, on a 4S-2200. should be a bullet. :love:

laters,

me :cool:
I like a more realistic slower flyer because it's scale. If you scaled that bullet it would be going light speed

DrkRaven

OMG I would die. I also LOVE the Dauntless, it has always been one of my favorite planes and I talk about it at length whenever the subject of warplanes comes up. My very first model airplane was a balsa former and stringer model of the Dauntless. I knew that plane backwards and forwards. It seems to me that with this Master technique, it would be possible to make the dive brakes. What a brilliant idea!
My grandfather was on the USS Lexington CV-2 From the day she was commissioned untill she sank at the Battle of the Coral Sea may 8th 1942 And the 3 planes that flew from her deck where the Dauntless, The Wildcat And the torpedo bomber TBD Devastator..

Last edited:

ricomun

I'm interested in adding retracts and a 3 bladed prop to this on the Power Pack C motor. Any of you doing research in that area? This would be my first set of retracts so I'm a newbie on this front.
Ive added servoless retracts to the ft mini mustang(25 gram) and to the standard spitfire (40 gram). I will be adding rotating retracts to this Corsair too. Its very doable.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Ive added servoless retracts to the ft mini mustang(25 gram) and to the standard spitfire (40 gram). I will be adding rotating retracts to this Corsair too. Its very doable.

Awesome. If you get this done I'd like to see a build log of how you do it and which retracts you go with.

ricomun

Not a lot done as far as assembly but did finish a lot of details.

i designed and printed control horns to accept a little larger gauge wire since we are using monster, metal geared servos. i also designed a new firewall to accept my bigger 28-36 motor. the rest of the time i spent getting the aileron servo's set and ready.

firewall can be had HERE

the plane has now gone with Rasterize to go to paint.

View attachment 125794

plan is to have painted tomorrow, finish assembly on thursday/friday and maiden on saturday.

i have to say, this is a cool plane. i am pretty excited to fly it.

laters,

me :cool:

Ill be using this firewall for the sunnysky x2814 (900kv). It will be spinning a 12x7x3 scale prop (from the e-flite t28). I generally use epoxy on the firewlal/power pod for theses higher power motors as i had one pull right through a plywood firewall once. Didn't damage anything fortunately because it was a bench test, but i don't take any chances. The flite test firewalls won't always stand up to a 580 watt motor.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Well I see you're already getting into taking pictures of it so make sure you take lots of pictures of your build as you do it and post them!

Will do! Dont know when I will build it but when i do you can expect plenty of photos.