Master Series Corsair

Splinter189

Master member
Winning!!!
20190312_091827.jpg

I have never been accused of being a neat freak

Igoo57

Am I the only one that noticed the compressed gas tank screw on transport cover on Splinter189's table? Everything else on it I understand. The transport cover just looks out of place. I don't see any welding or torch equipment. So wondering what type of gas, usually O2 is green.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Am I the only one that noticed the compressed gas tank screw on transport cover on Splinter189's table? Everything else on it I understand. The transport cover just looks out of place. I don't see any welding or torch equipment. So wondering what type of gas, usually O2 is green.

Igor, have you seen his metal renditions of some of the FT models? It's worth having a look ;)

Igoo57

No Dan, I have not. All I noticed was the transport cover and nothing else that pointed to metal working. I even looked at the shelved and floor for something related to metal working. So it just struck me as odd.

mayan

Legendary member
@Splinter189 your builds are amazing and the entire concept of the master series is too. My only one concern with the entire master series is that new members will attempt to build it before they get the hang of the FT build methods and that will cause them to give up if things won't line up for them properly; I'll try to explain.

When I started out with FT I built the Simple Cub and it didn't fly at all, I would have continued trying but someone else might have gave up. Later I came back to the forum and someone recommended the Tiny Trainer which is easy to build and easy to fly, but what makes it so great is that even if things don't line up prefect it will still fly and fly ok. My fear is that the master series is like the Simple Cub and this might get people to quit.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@Splinter189 your builds are amazing and the entire concept of the master series is too. My only one concern with the entire master series is that new members will attempt to build it before they get the hang of the FT build methods and that will cause them to give up if things won't line up for them properly; I'll try to explain.

When I started out with FT I built the Simple Cub and it didn't fly at all, I would have continued trying but someone else might have gave up. Later I came back to the forum and someone recommended the Tiny Trainer which is easy to build and easy to fly, but what makes it so great is that even if things don't line up prefect it will still fly and fly ok. My fear is that the master series is like the Simple Cub and this might get people to quit.
It's just my opinion, but I agree, sort of. Any new builder who tries the Master Series is going to be sorely disappointed.

Unless they've got lots of build skills and are throwing their hand at DTFB because of all the benefits it offers. This second person? He can handle it. The first person? They'll post here or on FaceBook and say how impossible the build is, and the rest of us will tell them to just build a TT and learn the skills.

It's possible we'll lose some recruits, but not many I think. I think most noobies will watch the build video and be as intimidated as I am by it, unless they've got some build skills and the experience to know that error is a part of the process. The Master Series also gives Pilots who have built everything FliteTest a reason to learn new skills, and build and fly some more. Personally, I think it's great!

mayan

Legendary member
The Master Series also gives Pilots who have built everything FliteTest a reason to learn new skills, and build and fly some more. Personally, I think it's great!
That's true!

I still highly recommend that the videos for the master series start of by saying something like this: "if you have never built any of our builds yet please advice on the forums to get a recommendation as to what would be the the best model for you to build, based on your build and flying skills."

Think this will give newbies more chance of making it through the hard start one might have. I know I had a hard started but stayed long enough to build a few very long and complex builds. I don't want to say complicated build one thing FT does well is keep things simple. I must admit that I myself with quite a lot of building experience and a good hand am still not at the point of building a master series plane yet!

Another very important comment about the master series. Looking at the build video of the master series Crossair I want to ask FT if they can suggest alternatives for long plywood based pieces like the main spars of the wing on this build. Not all of us have access to large pieces of plywood and which is quite expensive at least here in Israel it is. That for example would be my stop of trying such a build.

mayan

Legendary member
One question for you @Splinter189 does it fly? I'd love to know if you have ever taken your metal planes and had your son try and fly those? I mean they look as if they could fly if they were setup using gas.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I’m going to play devils advocate here and mention that the Corsair (which is the most beautiful FT release thus far, imho) is part of the “Master series”... (seems to set the bar to me.)
That said, a disclaimer at the beginning of the build video might be in order. Especially when the title of the vid is “you can build this”... (if you are a master... 😛)

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
I’m going to play devils advocate here and mention that the Corsair (which is the most beautiful FT release thus far, imho) is part of the “Master series”... (seems to set the bar to me.)
That said, a disclaimer at the beginning of the build video might be in order. Especially when the title of the vid is “you can build this”... (if you are a master... 😛)

Its actually not a hard build, as long as you follow the build guide and have some acquaintance with foamboard techniques I think it could definitely be a 3rd or 4th build. I finished the forward fuselage yesterday, I will have pics up at some point.

mayan

Legendary member
Its actually not a hard build, as long as you follow the build guide and have some acquaintance with foamboard techniques I think it could definitely be a 3rd or 4th build. I finished the forward fuselage yesterday, I will have pics up at some point.
Not complicated for sure the FT models and build videos don’t let you go wrong. But a slight miss build can cause the plane not to fly or fly poorly not good for a first experience. I am sure you can agree with that?

I, like @kilroy07 suggest a TT for a first build. Why? Well it has all the basic build techniques, you really can’t go wrong with it even if you make major mistakes (ask @buzzbomb), and it flys great and is very to learn to fly with.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
That for example would be my stop of trying such a build.
Don’t let that stop you/us!! Let’s be Masters! 😂

I’ll provide the kit (it’ll be white dtfb) and ship it to you... (electronics are on you.)

You provide the enthusiasm for me to get one built for myself! (Among all the other crazy contests/challenges I’ve gotten myself into)...

What say you, you up for a masters challenge?!