Master Series Corsair

mayan

Legendary member
Don’t let that stop you/us!! Let’s be Masters! 😂

I’ll provide the kit (it’ll be white dtfb) and ship it to you... (electronics are on you.)

You provide the enthusiasm for me to get one built for myself! (Among all the other crazy contests/challenges I’ve gotten myself into)...

What say you, you up for a masters challenge?!
You are on brother :)

basslord1124

Master member
Love the display models John...looks amazing! :)

Disclaimers at the beginning of the video would be good for the master series...even though the title really indicates that is a more experienced build.

Really, there are just so many more variables to make for a good first time experience for a newbie pilot. I know I sit in amazement when I watch the intro video for a plane design..whether it's new or old. I think how amazing these things fly on the video and everything. And then sometimes you just gotta face reality and be like "Flitetest spent time and research getting this design to fly right" AND "Flitetest is a business that needs to sell products like their airplane designs" so it's no wonder that they try and put it in the best light possible and to not show the mistakes along the way. So they do their best to make it look good so it can sell. Plus they have years of experience too. And then when we get it, experiences can and will vary. Newbies might go a little heavier on the glue causes the weight/CG to be off, angles can and will be crooked, inexperience with different radio settings(some radios do expo different for example), newbies just end up picking the wrong model for their skill set, these planes will not come with any SAFE/gryos unless a newbie gets one and learns how to program it if they intend to use it, etc.

So there are just so many things that can make a new person's experience not so great. You just gotta hope that they are not a quitter and have the passion and are willing to investigate on where their issues are and that they try to fix it. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
@mayan A little over 4 years ago I knew squat about building, flying or any of it. I crashed lots and went through a good amount of foam and glue (still do ;) ) . You develop your skill set, you quickly learn to watch closer in the builds of what is not acceptable . You learn you don't need 30lbs of glue to make it strong. This Corsair I designed and built last April . Don't give up trying, start simple and work your way up.

Attachments

• 2018_0428_143441_001.JPG
    2018_0428_143441_001.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2018_0428_143448_002.JPG
    2018_0428_143448_002.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2018_0428_143457_003.JPG
    2018_0428_143457_003.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan A little over 4 years ago I knew squat about building, flying or any of it. I crashed lots and went through a good amount of foam and glue (still do ;) ) . You develop your skill set, you quickly learn to watch closer in the builds of what is not acceptable . You learn you don't need 30lbs of glue to make it strong. This Corsair I designed and built last April . Don't give up trying, start simple and work your way up.
Don’t worry I am not afraid of a complex build ;)

mayan

Legendary member

I’ll provide the kit (it’ll be white dtfb) and ship it to you... (electronics are on you.)

You provide the enthusiasm for me to get one built for myself! (Among all the other crazy contests/challenges I’ve gotten myself into)...

I am still shocked, excited by your challenge. I am already goosebumps just thinking of the build but am sure we will both master this master challenge of yours/ours.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

What!!?? kilroy07 throwing it back at your face, mayan! You've got the build skills. You've proven that over and over. All you ever do is strive to take it the next level.

I'm not saying you should do it. I am saying I think you should think really hard on it. Think about what any mistake will cost you, what the electronics will cost you, and weigh that against the opportunity killroy07 has just offered up. I really hope ya'll two do this. It would be glorious. :D

Oh. Plus you've got to be able to transport it. Another thing to think about. That MIGHT be a problem. :(

mayan

Legendary member
What!!?? kilroy07 throwing it back at your face, mayan! You've got the build skills. You've proven that over and over. All you ever do is strive to take it the next level.

I'm not saying you should do it. I am saying I think you should think really hard on it. Think about what any mistake will cost you, what the electronics will cost you, and weigh that against the opportunity killroy07 has just offered up. I really hope ya'll two do this. It would be glorious. :D

Oh. Plus you've got to be able to transport it. Another thing to think about. That MIGHT be a problem. :(
I thought it over and still am going for it even if I have to transport it by foot to the field I will make a master series crossair fly. And if @kilroy07 agrees, we will do The maiden on the same day too. I know I’ll have problems storing it, transporting it but this is an opurtunity not worth missing. So again @kilroy07 your on my man.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
And if @kilroy07 agrees, we will do The maiden on the same day too.
I’m all for it... we will just have to check with the Illinois weather (which can be pretty cantankerous this time of year) but we can work on that after we both have our kits and have them completed.

And don’t worry @buzzbomb , I’ve got something in mind for us, but first I’ve got to get serious and knock out some of these projects off my list. 😉

kilroy07

Legendary member
Out of the loop on all that, it will get a full redesign prior to any release. Been learning lots since starting
So, can you drop us any hints on the P-38 we’ve seen in the background of some of the recent videos?... it certainly looks like one of yours (iow it looks amazing!)

Or maybe which we might see next (f-14 or p-38)?

Are you coming to Flite fest? I’d love to pick your brain about a Mustang overhaul to the master series! :love:

Splinter189

Master member
So, can you drop us any hints on the P-38 we’ve seen in the background of some of the recent videos?... it certainly looks like one of yours (iow it looks amazing!)

Or maybe which we might see next (f-14 or p-38)?

Are you coming to Flite fest? I’d love to pick your brain about a Mustang overhaul to the master series! :love:

Lol, between now and FF I suspect you will be seeing some more offerings 😁😁

Jerry_C

Hey guys and Gals, Just got my FT Master Series F4U Corsair yesterday. Got most of the plane assembled. No electronics yet. Gonna paint it first so I don't have to fight with all the aggravation removing or masking things up. Here's where I'm am now. Sorry got into the build and forgot to take a lot of pix but others have done those too so you didn't miss anything. One thing I found was getting the lower wing skin all lined up then taping it along the LE, allowed me to unfold, lay glue and quickly fold over and line it all up. That even let me raise to lower angle panels and apply glue to the spars rather than dripping it down the hole. Not saying do it, but it worked for me.

Jerry

100_6166.JPG
100_6167.JPG
100_6169.JPG
100_6170.JPG
100_6171.JPG
100_6172.JPG
100_6173.JPG
100_6175.JPG
100_6176.JPG
100_6177.JPG

Jimun

Elite member
I need to get more practice in builds and flying. I was thinking of working up to flying the 3d printed version of the Corsair - My favorite plane along with the P-38 -but when this FB Corsair came out I got excited.:love: Thank you @Splinter189 for these awesome builds and your metal models are beautiful.

Last edited:

shadeyB

Legendary member
John Overstreet (trieditathomeofficial) has hinted on his instagram about what planes could be made with FT
  • F-14 Tomcat (with folding wings!)
  • F-15 Eagle
  • F-16 Hornet
  • lots of different chuck gliders (not master series obviously)
  • P-38 Lightning
  • P-51 Mustang
  • possible B-25 Mitchell
  • power pack H micro A-10 Warthog (actually using ducts!) (standard building styles not master)
  • A-6 intruder
  • possibly some gullwing seaplane/flying boat
  • Possible 50s-60s style twin edf (he calls it Chubs)
  • another cold war jet called the "catfish"
Can’t wait for the new master series builds P-51 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃
Always wanted one (I will crash it) got the FT P-51 there (well what’s left of it ) I had just finished installing servos then seen the Corsair release, built it and stole the servos out my 99% finished FT Mustang and woooohooooni have an amazing Corsair
It’s only fair I finish the Mustang however I would like to finish it with the Master series P-51

Attachments

• E6F63A8A-E354-43C4-BE24-9E70D2EA8BEC.jpeg
    E6F63A8A-E354-43C4-BE24-9E70D2EA8BEC.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
The corsair is a great looking plane👍The master series definitely looks like the FT guys make it look easier than it really is for most people though. I may experiment with a couple techniques on some small rounded components on my builds using their style of curving,but don't see myself getting too into those techniques any time soon. I'm just starting to get good at A folds and design better fuselages using more basic methods. I agree somewhat with the sentiment of others, FT should develop a build and fly difficulty rating for all their planes. When I was new and saw the Nutball they sort of touted it as a beginner plane, and it definitely is for building, but flying,it's at least an intermediate level.