Master Series De havilland Mosquito Build Thread

Hondo76251

Legendary member
awsome project! one thing to keep in mind with the mosquito is that the tail is going to need to be REALLY lightweight. Much like WW1 airplanes, the weight of the engine made up a much larger percentage of the total flying weight, so the engines were not too far ahead of the CG point. Electric motors are much lighter than the rest of the plane, so they won't have as much authority over the CG compared to the full scale plane, so keep your tail light!

I actually like a plane that requite a little extra nose weight to get a good CG.

I prefer to add that weight with battery, and if that can't be done, I'll work on motor and other electronics placement. If I still have trouble, then I'll work on lightening the tail. I don't concern myself much with scale but for the most part if you keep an airframe within about 10% of its original proportions you can make spectacular changes to CG and other factors while still keeping the desired look...

That being said... the DeHavilland Mosquito is not a challenge I've attempted yet. Virtually all of its weight FWD of CG was motor, thats a hard look to replicate, especially in smaller builds! I have faith in you, but it will be a challenge! Best of Luck!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I've got the basic frame for the nacelle completed, the big plate on bott is the bottom of the wing. I didn't put the top part of the wing on because I haven't designed it yet. The two formers in front are supposed to have a stringer on the outside connecting them, but I forgot to account for the fact that it's supposed to taper in. There is still one more former that will go out front, but it's not attached to the frame part. Speaking of which, the frame is really just here to hold the two front formers in the picture, in place to make building/skinning it easier. It will be easier to see why once I start putting the skin sections on.
IMG_20200114_171534997.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I've got the basic frame for the nacelle completed, the big plate on bott is the bottom of the wing. I didn't put the top part of the wing on because I haven't designed it yet. The two formers in front are supposed to have a stringer on the outside connecting them, but I forgot to account for the fact that it's supposed to taper in. There is still one more former that will go out front, but it's not attached to the frame part. Speaking of which, the frame is really just here to hold the two front formers in the picture, in place to make building/skinning it easier. It will be easier to see why once I start putting the skin sections on.
View attachment 154602
That's obviously upside down right?

IcedStorm777

Are you gonna be posting plans for this? I was literally JUST thinking of ripping my legacy apart to build a mosquito but I knew I wouldn’t have the skill to design it so maybe (but probably not actually) I will have enough skill to do this one. I have never done a master series build or a “forming” build. It looks sooo good!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Are you gonna be posting plans for this? I was literally JUST thinking of ripping my legacy apart to build a mosquito but I knew I wouldn’t have the skill to design it so maybe (but probably not actually) I will have enough skill to do this one. I have never done a master series build or a “forming” build. It looks sooo good!
I was going to originally post plans for it, make a nice vid, etc. the same stuff I do on my other designs...but @Splinter189 has a mosquito pretty much done and I don't want to put in all the work in a plane just to have FT release essentially the same thing in the near future. I'm working on another twin light bomber/fighter bomber from WW2 now :D

IcedStorm777

I was going to originally post plans for it, make a nice vid, etc. the same stuff I do on my other designs...but @Splinter189 has a mosquito pretty much done and I don't want to put in all the work in a plane just to have FT release essentially the same thing in the near future. I'm working on another twin light bomber/fighter bomber from WW2 now :D

Where is his mosquito? I can't find it anywhere.