Master Series P-40

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
The plans are almost finished, I've decided to make ones for laser cutting and hand cutting now that I have access to my high school's laser.
Here they are as of now:
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 6.07.16 PM.png

With a little more effort, I can label all the parts and make it a complete plane. This time, I'll probably do a build video since it's a complicated plane to put together.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I’m super stoked about this build.

Yeah, It shouldn't take long at all to convert the laser cut plans to hand cutting plans. The main problem is I have to move some stuff around to make it easier to align. If you want. I could send you a PDF of the laser cut plans to build, but there are no labels, and I think it would be extremely tricky! Also, if you can do it, I recommend downloading Fusion 360 on your computer so you can look through the CAD file and see how everything goes together. Eventually, I'll release a build video, but I'm not sure on the ETA.

Slamador

Yeah, It shouldn't take long at all to convert the laser cut plans to hand cutting plans. The main problem is I have to move some stuff around to make it easier to align. If you want. I could send you a PDF of the laser cut plans to build, but there are no labels, and I think it would be extremely tricky! Also, if you can do it, I recommend downloading Fusion 360 on your computer so you can look through the CAD file and see how everything goes together. Eventually, I'll release a build video, but I'm not sure on the ETA.
I hand cut my plans, I sadly don’t own a laser cutter. I can wait until you covert them to hand-cutting plans and label them. Have you thought about maybe using FT’s symbol mapping? Or making a quick video on Fusion 360 showing how the plane comes together? I don’t have a ton of computer power. Thanks for all the work you have put on this, man

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I hand cut my plans, I sadly don’t own a laser cutter. I can wait until you covert them to hand-cutting plans and label them. Have you thought about maybe using FT’s symbol mapping? Or making a quick video on Fusion 360 showing how the plane comes together? I don’t have a ton of computer power. Thanks for all the work you have put on this, man

Those are great ideas! The laser cut plans are just like regular ones, just without labelling or bevel marks. They just don't have the same amount of polish. I'll make sure to do those things you suggested though!

Slamador

Those are great ideas! The laser cut plans are just like regular ones, just without labelling or bevel marks. They just don't have the same amount of polish. I'll make sure to do those things you suggested though!
Nice! I can’t wait to build this.
If the parts are labeled in a video as in the plans, I’m sure we could figure it out on our own. Any questions about the build could be posted here. Just a thought. I build video would be also nice

CrshNBrn

Elite member
If you're asking... when it comes to release dates for plans, us foamboard addicts are usually all for ASAP :). You could always update them later with the labels, corrections, etc. I'd be happy to beta-build your P-40 plans. Usually posting a screenshot or two (or more) of tricky design features or non-intuitive steps is helpful for folks, but we don't necessarily need an accompanying video- you've got to be busy with other things this time of year!

PS The Me-109 and 110 are still flying high and collecting compliments, btw. Thanks for creating and sharing those plans.

foamboardflyer

If you're asking... when it comes to release dates for plans, us foamboard addicts are usually all for ASAP :). You could always update them later with the labels, corrections, etc. I'd be happy to beta-build your P-40 plans. Usually posting a screenshot or two (or more) of tricky design features or non-intuitive steps is helpful for folks, but we don't necessarily need an accompanying video- you've got to be busy with other things this time of year!

PS The Me-109 and 110 are still flying high and collecting compliments, btw. Thanks for creating and sharing those plans.
Same here. The way I build I don’t really need part labels, just some pics or a build video. I can do a beta-build too, I might not get time till maybe next week though.

Last edited:

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Alright.. I cut out one sheet of foam on the laser cutter at my school, and believe it or not, they had some brown flitetest foam lying around! Unfortunately, it was only one sheet. Whenever I have a spare moment, I'll go to the dollar tree and pick up some foam, but I can't really do anything until then.
Here are some pictures of the parts I cut:
IMG_0096.jpg IMG_0100.jpg . IMG_0099.jpg . IMG_0098.jpg . IMG_0097.jpg

The parts are exactly how I wanted, but there's just a bit too much cupping along the edges. I'm just fiddling with the laser settings to fix it.

Last edited:

Slamador

Alright.. I cut out one sheet of foam on the laser cutter at my school, and believe it or not, they had some brown flitetest foam lying around! Unfortunately, it was only one sheet. Whenever I have a spare moment, I'll go to the dollar tree and pick up some foam, but I can't really do anything until then.
Here are some pictures of the parts I cut:
View attachment 210352 View attachment 210353 . View attachment 210354 . View attachment 210355 . View attachment 210356

The parts are exactly how I wanted, but there's just a bit too much cupping along the edges. I'm just fiddling with the laser settings to fix it.

Nice! I’m down for a beta-build too.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Time to start building!

A pile of parts:

IMG_0102.png

Now for the wing:

IMG_0101.png IMG_0113.png

I never realized when I was designing this plane, but it's huge! I guess you can't tell until you actually build it in real life. I really like having the ailerons as seperate pieces from the wings. It allows you to use better hinges and also looks a lot cleaner. THe little tabs sticking out the back gave me a lot of trouble. You have to bevel the entire thing, so It's tricky to do it without bending them and creasing the foamboard.

Some pics of the spot where the ailerons go:

IMG_0115.png IMG_0116.png

I had to add some scrap foam to the back of the wing to keep it from bending and warping. Nice and easy, but it works a treat!

IMG_0117.png