Master Series Spitfire wing on Swappable Spitfire fuselage...thoughts?

LundiThembi

I loved my FT Swappable Spitfire, many great flights until I drilled it into the asphalt. Would love to scale it up by 120% but use a Master Series type wing but using the Swappable fuselage. Would I see better flight performance? The MS fuselage looks great but just way too much bending, rolling, etc.

Thoughts?

My late Spitfire...
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 9.20.46 PM.png

Last edited:

CrshNBrn

Elite member
The Spit was my first MS plane, and it wasn't too bad of a build. Just follow along with the Overstreet build video and he'll teach you the proper techniques for rolling and forming curves with foamboard. After seeing it in the air when it's all done, you won't want to go back to building boxy swappables anymore.

Aslansmonkey

I have both. You'd likely see very little difference swapping the wings, except the swappable's wings are under cambered at the tips, which helps reduce wing tip stalling. The MS wings are not.

I made my swappable with rolled wings, like Overstreet does on the MS series. If all you want is the curve rather than the facetted, just roll the upper side of the wings. If you're using plans, don't cut the fold marks (red lines) on the upper wing surfaces.

Otherwise the MS and Swappable wings are VERY similar in shape and area. There might be a little more dihedral in the swappable wings but to my eye, they're close enough that there will be little performance difference. The planes fly about the same too.

Attachments

• Spitfire1.jpg
    Spitfire1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • SimpleSpitfire.jpg
    SimpleSpitfire.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 1

Inq

Elite member
I loved my FT Swappable Spitfire, many great flights until I drilled it into the asphalt. Would love to scale it up by 120% but use a Master Series type wing but using the Swappable fuselage. Would I see better flight performance? The MS fuselage looks great but just way too much bending, rolling, etc.

Thoughts?

My late Spitfire... View attachment 232939

Great plane. Did you document your crash in the "What did you crash today" thread?
If you scale it up by 120% what size motor/batteries would you recommend?

LundiThembi

I have both. You'd likely see very little difference swapping the wings, except the swappable's wings are under cambered at the tips, which helps reduce wing tip stalling. The MS wings are not.

I made my swappable with rolled wings, like Overstreet does on the MS series. If all you want is the curve rather than the facetted, just roll the upper side of the wings. If you're using plans, don't cut the fold marks (red lines) on the upper wing surfaces.

Otherwise the MS and Swappable wings are VERY similar in shape and area. There might be a little more dihedral in the swappable wings but to my eye, they're close enough that there will be little performance difference. The planes fly about the same too.
Got it! Thank you for that, appreciated!

danskis

Master member
You can scale up the swappable fuse or just make the swapable wing like a master series wing. Of course you can’t use the smaller power system on the bigger plane and expect the same performance. That’s a really a nice spit in the photo. Rather than crashing my nice spit I made a low wing simple stick with no graphics to crash.