"Master Series" style Cessna 195

The Fopster

Master member
This is all Alex Zvada's fault...

I watched the Flitetest lockdown video he did about the De Havilland Beaver. I really enjoyed it - it was interesting for someone like me who doesn't know that much about the full size stuff, and really well presented. About four and a half minutes into the video, Alex talked about one of the Beaver's competitors - the Cessna 195. I'd never seen one before, and it was REALLY pretty. Hmmm.

1.jpg

I found myself looking at pictures on the web, then looking for three views, and the next thing I know I'm working out how to build one. I've done one own design Master Series already that seemed to work out OK, so I decided to go for round two (my previous build was a Hawker Sea Fury - photo below and FT Forum thread here).

1 (1).jpg

This will be a slow process, so I'll post here from time to time to update on the build. Topline stats are:

Wingspan - approx 1.3m
Motor - Cheap generic 2830 1100kv
BEC - similarly cheap unbranded 30amp
Prop - probably 9x4.5, but may try a 9x6 as well
Battery - 2200mAh 3 cell

I haven't drawn plans - my build method doesn't need them, I make it up as I go along. Seems to work.

More to come...

The Fopster

Master member
I started with a three view off the internet. It is really low resolution, so when blown up to the size I'm building it gets very fuzzy which has been an ongoing challenge, but I couldn't find anything better so this has to do.
IMG_20200409_174303025_HDR.jpg

The structure is based around a really simple idea. Cut out a profile shape from the three view, then add formers on each side like an old-school balsa build. The formers are adjusted to remove 5mm from the perimeter to allow for the thickness of the outer skin. I then temporarily add a layer of scrap foam to simulate the final fitted skin. I can then make paper templates over the top of this structure to make templates for the fuselage skin. It's a bit fiddly, but it works:
IMG_20200415_221715941.jpg

IMG_20200416_170946537.jpg
IMG_20200416_193004891.jpg

IMG_20200416_201244022.jpg

I can then use the paper templates to make the skin from FT foam. I'm in the UK so I only have a limited supply, so I make them a little big then try to trim them to fit.

IMG_20200426_113730167.jpg

It hasn't worked as well on this build as it did on the Sea Fury - I think I've rushed it a bit. That said, a bit of filler and paint and I'm sure it will look OK. It does mean I've given up on my colour scheme idea of a chrome vinyl wrap (to simulate the polished exterior of some full size examples) - I think that will show up the flaws too much, so white plus a trim colour seems to be the best option.

Anyway, I've got most of the exterior skin now done in FT foam with a trial fit to see how it goes together.

IMG_20200425_204527323.jpg
IMG_20200427_220024702.jpg
IMG_20200503_125050974_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200504_200933984.jpg

Right - structurally that flat plate up the middle won't work to carry the bigger loads. I need to link up the main masses - motor and battery - as well as the landing loads through the landing gear.
To do that I've just gone for a simple three sided box structure that links up with the former at the leading edge. The battery will be inside the box, loaded from underneath. The landing gear will mount to a plywood plate on the base of this box, and the motor firewall is glued above it. That way there is a stiff and rigid structure to link all the bits that would otherwise make the structure all wobbly!

IMG_20200506_214814742.jpg

That's about where I am now. Just figuring out how to route the pushrods for the rudder and elevator, as well as the steerable tailwheel. As this is my first plane in a while that ISN'T a belly lander I decide to go mad and buy an actual proper tailwheel so I can taxi it around and basically try and fly it pretty scale at all times. This one is not for aerobatics!

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
I've got back to the Cessna after a break. Fuselage is almost done after figuring out a few tricky bits. As I said in the earlier post the skin is a bit wrinkled (too hurried) but will be fine from a distance in the air. I had to make a few significant design changes - the main one being to swap from a fixed firewall to a power pod. Main reason was I needed the motor and ESC to be easily replaced - I'd bought two very cheap motors and ESCs from China, and one let the smoke out after three flights on another plane, so I probably need to be realistic about the chances of that happening again...
Also had a bit of a struggle with the control rods and tailwheel connection, but those were sorted out in the end. Hoping to finish the wings tomorrow, then final fuselage (for the nose) on Friday. In theory I could be looking at a maiden this weekend. May need to take a brave pill...
Anyway, here are a few more progress pictures for anyone interested. Enjoy!
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
And finally, reserved for more things that I haven't thought of yet...

And now that time has passed and I have thought, I think I'll put the second (successful) maiden attempt here. It flew OK - stable and almost no trim needed, so CG is OK. I'd added right thrust after the first flight attempt, as it was very reluctant to turn right before the crash, and this time it went away straight with no issues. It's very lacking in control authority, so I'll increase throws a bit (elevator will be tricky as it's enclosed in the fuselage, but I'll have a go), but I only want it for gentle touch and go's so I don't need any aerobatic capability.

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
The 190/195 is an absolutely beautiful airplane. The first one I ever saw was this one on floats in Long Lake, NY. Personally, I think it looks even better than the tailwheel version.
0000059920.jpg
That is absolutely gorgeous. However, I'm an inexperienced pilot and the risks inherent in flying over water are a bit terrifying! I'll stick with wheels for now! Still a lovely photo, though...

And looking again, very nice colour scheme. 🤔

Rhaps

Elite member
I started with a three view off the internet. It is really low resolution, so when blown up to the size I'm building it gets very fuzzy which has been an ongoing challenge, but I couldn't find anything better so this has to do.
View attachment 168792

The structure is based around a really simple idea. Cut out a profile shape from the three view, then add formers on each side like an old-school balsa build. The formers are adjusted to remove 5mm from the perimeter to allow for the thickness of the outer skin. I then temporarily add a layer of scrap foam to simulate the final fitted skin. I can then make paper templates over the top of this structure to make templates for the fuselage skin. It's a bit fiddly, but it works:
View attachment 168793
View attachment 168795 View attachment 168796
View attachment 168794
I can then use the paper templates to make the skin from FT foam. I'm in the UK so I only have a limited supply, so I make them a little big then try to trim them to fit.

View attachment 168798

It hasn't worked as well on this build as it did on the Sea Fury - I think I've rushed it a bit. That said, a bit of filler and paint and I'm sure it will look OK. It does mean I've given up on my colour scheme idea of a chrome vinyl wrap (to simulate the polished exterior of some full size examples) - I think that will show up the flaws too much, so white plus a trim colour seems to be the best option.

Anyway, I've got most of the exterior skin now done in FT foam with a trial fit to see how it goes together.

View attachment 168799 View attachment 168800 View attachment 168801 View attachment 168802

Right - structurally that flat plate up the middle won't work to carry the bigger loads. I need to link up the main masses - motor and battery - as well as the landing loads through the landing gear.
To do that I've just gone for a simple three sided box structure that links up with the former at the leading edge. The battery will be inside the box, loaded from underneath. The landing gear will mount to a plywood plate on the base of this box, and the motor firewall is glued above it. That way there is a stiff and rigid structure to link all the bits that would otherwise make the structure all wobbly!

View attachment 168803

That's about where I am now. Just figuring out how to route the pushrods for the rudder and elevator, as well as the steerable tailwheel. As this is my first plane in a while that ISN'T a belly lander I decide to go mad and buy an actual proper tailwheel so I can taxi it around and basically try and fly it pretty scale at all times. This one is not for aerobatics!
Great plane choice and very interesting build technique.
Keep the pictures coming, they are very inspirational.

The Fopster

Master member
A hiatus this evening. My landing gear wire was too light, and the shops are still closed, so I've doubled up the wire and coated it in epoxy which needs to dry overnight. So while I wait I tried doing some sums. Current weight with a 2200 3 cell is 875g - still needs ESC, landing gear, paint etc. I'm guessing the final AUW will be about 1kg. So I thought I'd try to work out how it will fly.
Rough calculation of wing area came out at 25.3dm2 (assuming I ignore the central section blocked off by the fuselage?). If it does come in at 1,000g that's a wing loading of 39.5g/dm2 or 13oz/sqft, and a cubic wing loading of 7.9. From what I googled it seems a WCL of 4 to 7 is good for a glider, and general sport flyers/trainers from 7 to 9. Scale models then go up to 13, and EDFs up to 25 😮.
So - I'm coming in at the lighter end of sport flyers and trainers, which as I'm hoping for a gentle scale flyer for shooting touch and gos sounds pretty good.
Another web site gave estimated stall speed. I've no idea how the flat bottomed airfoil performs so this really is guesswork, but some educated estimates gave a stall speed of about 14 to 18mph. With a pitch speed from a 10x6 prop of about 80kph or 50mph that sounds like there should be a nice wide flight envelope.
Then again, I'm new to this and have no real idea what I'm doing, so it's still all guesswork until the first successful landing!
IMG_20200608_202328660~2.jpg
IMG_20200612_170820409.jpg
IMG_20200612_203324169.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
IMG_20200614_211107686.jpg
Another update. The plane is basically ready for the maiden. Just need to sort out a puzzle on control surface movement. On the receiver I'm getting much less control movement than when I installed them and checked with a servo tester. Some head scratching required! Plus - heavy rain here. Hopefully I'll have figured out the surface deflection puzzle by the time the weather breaks...